Author Topic: Statting the Jinn  (Read 1941 times)

Offline ian0251

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Statting the Jinn
« on: August 17, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »
Just curious how to exactly stat the Jinn. I've looked through the boards and seen some attempts at statting wish granting powers or scions but no actual solid statblock. I was more intending on the mythical portrayal of the Jinn, spirits of smokeless fire with powerful magical and shapeshifting abilities. So maybe a combination of modular abilities, true shapeshifting and spell casting powers? Also there are some variants, divided into greater and lesser orders but that's fairly easy to simulate, just add more form points or spell casting powers as you please. Might sit down at draw up what I think they'd look like, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Statting the Jinn
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
Shapeshifting and spellcasting are fairly easy to stat. So if that's all you want jinn to do, you shouldn't have much trouble.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that many mythological shapeshifters seem to use shapeshifting mainly for disguise. I don't know if that's true of Jinn, but if it is then you may want to go easy on the Modular Abilities and maybe limit the skill-shuffling trapping of True Shapeshifting.

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
Yeah, the Djinn use shapeshifting for disguise and deception. They are "the Hidden Ones" and exist alongside us in this world, doing whatever it is they can do to spurn us because they don't particularly like us.

They're shapeshifting should have the ability to disguise themselves as other people or living things. Or, you could forgo shapeshifting and just go with the power of Glamours to represent potent illusions. One thing I would do if making one of the djinn, though, would be give them the Gaseous Form power to represent their true state as beings of smokeless fire. Instead of gas, obviously, you'd be a glowing, fiery energy being, but the effect is the same.

For magic I would stick with Spirit Channeling to keep the cost down, perhaps make it Self-Sponsored. Spirit is "smokeless fire" so it seems most apt.

I'm not sure how to do wish granting... Glamours? Sponsored debt? Thaumaturgy?

You can do it just about any way you can think of. It depends on how you want to do it.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »
Human guise to look like a regular Joe.

Greater Glamours.  You can use those on other people/objects if you own them or have made a pact with the people.  Therefore, you could create 'real' stuff with Greater Glamours as long as you've made a deal...

The deal being 3 wishes.  Those wishes would then be limited by the Glamours power, obviously.

It also has that "I'm going to screw with you" feeling.   You want to be able to buy anything?  Sure, here's lots of money.  Of course, the money disappears shortly after you spend it.  Which might annoy lots of people.

Thaumaturgy/sponsored magic could deal with Wishes that are a little harder to come by.

Wings and Gaseous Form...Probably Demesne if they are attached to a lamp.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:07:09 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
Does the wish thing even happen in the original mythology?

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »
Djinn are really something more akin to angels or demons in the original mythology. They are frequently mentioned in the Quran as beings made from a smokeless fire. Interestingly, djinn have free will much like humans.

According to some texts, each person has a djinn companion, known as a qarin. Some qarin are evil and can lead you astray with whispers but some act as guardian angels.

This type of djinn is consistent with the one appearance of a djinn we've had in the Dresdenverse. A djinn features in the comic Ghoul and Goblin. I won't spoil with more details.

We also know djinn are cross fertile as Madrigal's attorney in one book was a djinn scion.

It is said Solomon the wise could control the djinn. Aladdin, in the original story did not get wishes from his genies (plural. There were two - one in a ring and one in a lamp) but instead controlled them like servants.
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline ian0251

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
JGray, mind discussing a few more details of djinn in the Dresdenverse while putting it in a spoiler? I don't have access to Goblin Ghoul and am stuck on making the nitty gritty of the character. I was hoping this might get my creative juices going.

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
Sure.

(click to show/hide)
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline ian0251

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Thanks  :) I'm statting up a character right now that's kind of a djinn and human mind bound together in mortal form.

I've got Sponsored Magic and Glamours for powers. I've got -3 Refresh left to spend, not sure what to purchase. Staying away from physical powers, trying to represent the mortal form aspect of things, restrained by a squishy body.

Any thoughts? I was considering maybe Gaseous Form, Supernatural Sense(s) or Worldwalker. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »
Gaseous form is pretty good for a Djin.   It gives you both flight and ability to fit into small spaces/bypass most barriers.  It's also a fair simulation of some creature going partially spiritual, like a spirit body from the other way around, as it were.