Author Topic: Speedster?  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Speedster?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Sponsored magic is pretty powerful if you know how to make use of it. Evothaum can do amazing things in the nick of time, and boosting it with sponsor debt can make it even more powerful.

Also, the sponsor can be your justification to take other powers that fit the sponsors theme.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »
To represent moving at the speed of thought or moving through obstacles like the Flash can by vibrating super fast.

At the risk of turning this into a comic thread, I still don't get this one. Wouldn't vibrating increase the likelihood of your atoms interacting with other ones? With even more catastrophic consequences because you've artificially added energy to the collision?
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »
At the risk of turning this into a comic thread, I still don't get this one. Wouldn't vibrating increase the likelihood of your atoms interacting with other ones? With even more catastrophic consequences because you've artificially added energy to the collision?
I've always interpreted that as some sort of tunneling, as in quantum-mechanics. Basically, you charge your atoms with so much kinetic energy, that they zip through the wall without actually touching it in the process. It doesn't work 100% as an explanation, but it's close enough for a world in which you can set people on fire with your mind.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Yosepi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 11:23:20 PM »
I love how quantum mechanics explain everything it seems lol.

Anyway, I think I am going to go with the descendent of Mercury(prefer that name to Hermes) who ends up employed y his ancestor(now if I can find a game) Depending on the power level I am going to prioritize supernatural speed and inhuman recovery(For the vigorous quality, i would have no idea for the catch) then if able the sponsored magic.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 02:13:17 AM »
Well, it is the same principle as why sunlight reflects off a mirror but an x-ray goes right through it.

The only difference is wavelength and energy.

But then you know, particles are waves.....light isn't an especially easy topic either to bend your mind around.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 03:03:31 AM »
I've always interpreted that as some sort of tunneling, as in quantum-mechanics. Basically, you charge your atoms with so much kinetic energy, that they zip through the wall without actually touching it in the process. It doesn't work 100% as an explanation, but it's close enough for a world in which you can set people on fire with your mind.

Flash uses vibrating to travel to different dimensions...which, maybe, explains how he goes through matter?  He transports his body to a parallel dimension that has no wall?  I dunno.  It's a good justification to take Swift Transition, though.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 03:24:25 AM »
I would just pick up Supernatural Speed and some stunts. Sponsored Magic gets sticky quickly (*cough* I hate the stuff *cough*). Having Superb Athletics, the +4 from Supernatural Speed while sprinting, and perhaps Fleet of Foot nets you at 11 zones worth of movement per action, which is ridiculously fast. Although zones don't have a set distance, this is easily at least a few city blocks worth of movement in only a few moments.

Keep in mind that truly Flash levels of power are most likely well outside the realm of what PC's are capable of, excluding a very lenient GM or very high refresh levels. That being said, some re-flavoring of existing powers (Claws, Swift Transition, Gaseous Form and Inhuman Recovery all sound like good ideas to me, and there are likely more) can add some extra toys to play with if stunts aren't doing it for ya.

Offline Yosepi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »
Yeah I think I will go that direction. Depending on the power level of the game(if I can ever find one to join) I think Supernatural speed, inhuman recovery, and then world walker, if the character is working for Hermes then those seem necessary. What would be a good catch for a demi-god though?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 04:24:28 PM »
Yeah I think I will go that direction. Depending on the power level of the game(if I can ever find one to join) I think Supernatural speed, inhuman recovery, and then world walker, if the character is working for Hermes then those seem necessary. What would be a good catch for a demi-god though?

Celestial bronze?  Hydra blood? 

Really though, the perfect catch for a scion of Hermes is...mercury!

Offline Yosepi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
I rather like that idea haha.

Offline Starjammer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
At the risk of necroposting, I finally remembered a weakness for the Greek gods.

There was a creature called the Ophiotaurus (part bull, part serpent).  If the creature's entrails were burned, it would give the one who did so the power to overthrow the gods.

Fairly obscure catch but there you go.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »
everyone worries about the laws of magic. That only applies to members of the white council or those humans with abilites that warrent inclusion in that body. If you where not a member or a member of another group you could do whatever you wanted at least in regards to the laws of magic. They only apply to humans who are or could be members. In game terms if you broke the laws you would be a monster. But if you had super speed and because time moved more slowly around you I don't see how you would be in violation of any law. If you had ties to the fey or another power there isn't anything the white council could do you wouldn't fall under their political umbrella.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
Chronomancy doesn't break the 6th law unless you go back in time, unless the wardens are being jerks.  Chronomancy for speed is still going forward, just slower.

Any power where you're able to generate a lot of offense risks breaking the first law...flash-level superspeed is certainly in that category.

But yeah, if you want to play Dr Who, you're best off playing somebody who is already a monster, not a half-breed, scion, emissary etc.  In DFRPG though, expect your high concept and any other aspects to get a lot of compels...the whole point of mortals is they can change who they are.  If you don't have a bit of mortal, it's going to be a pretty static character in a lot of ways, so you'll want to figure out what sort of thing you'll do when you hit milestones and whether you're comfortable with a character that reacts to shattering events by being more of who they already are.  It's certainly doable, but it's a more alien character than most PC concepts.

(it's not like other genres don't have this problem, too, but the immutability of any being of the never-never compared to mortals is unusually strong in Dresdenverse.  OTOH, there is some plasticity - Toot Toot is clearly changing into something more like a Sidhe, but most of the plasticity is seen as toxic...it's why the Denarians fell from being angels, it's a major plot point with the Ladies, etc).

While you can get some political protection if you belong to another faction, that's limited unless you BECOME that faction - while Elaine, if exposed as Justin's pupil, as Emissary of Summer wasn't going to have her head taken off by a warden until the political crisis was over, the moment she was merely a ward they'd have gone after her, it would have only been a matter of a death payment and they might have done it anyway..  Had Elaine been a changeling, similar.  Had she been a changeling sorceress who became, say, a Selkie, or turned by the Red Court the Wardens would have no excuse at all to go after her, and likely wouldn't risk it unless they were at war with the nation.

Thing is though, the political protection if you're still mortal doesn't protect you from the universe.  You'll still have to spend refresh on lawbreaker, although again, if I wanted to play a Time Lord, I'd likely WANT 3 refresh spent on 6th law.  +3 to time travel stuff is right up their alley.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:45:56 PM by solbergb »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
But yeah, if you want to play Dr Who, you're best off playing somebody who is already a monster, not a half-breed, scion, emissary etc.

I don't think the laws apply to sufficiently advanced technology, though.

You'll still have to spend refresh on lawbreaker, although again, if I wanted to play a Time Lord, I'd likely WANT 3 refresh spent on 6th law.  +3 to time travel stuff is right up their alley.

Eh. Refinement would be more efficient.

And anyway Lawbreaker caps out at 2 Refresh. IIRC you get the extra +1 from having multiple Lawbreakers.