Author Topic: Sci-Fi Short Story or Full-Blown Novella?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Shinihime

• Conversationalist
  • When Terminally Depressed, Use Kittens as Antidote
    • View Profile
Sci-Fi Short Story or Full-Blown Novella?
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
Hey, glad to be back.  Anyways, I have an important set of questions, and I think I trust you guys enough to ask.
I've written a short story, with 3638 words in the word count.  The setting is dystopian, and there are three characters that could be described as "main characters".
What I want to know is this:
What paper publications would be willing to accept a science fiction short story?  I'm sure some of you know that I don't get out much, and to be entirely honest, the only magazines I read are food magazines.
Is 3638 words too long for a short story?
According to you guys, what are the benefits of writing a novella compared to the benefits of writing a short story?
Thanks,
    Shinihime
Hello.  Have you seen my mortality anywhere?

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
Re: Sci-Fi Short Story or Full-Blown Novella?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 06:29:19 PM »
Hey, glad to be back.  Anyways, I have an important set of questions, and I think I trust you guys enough to ask.
I've written a short story, with 3638 words in the word count.  The setting is dystopian, and there are three characters that could be described as "main characters".
What paper publications would be willing to accept a science fiction short story?  I'm sure some of you know that I don't get out much, and to be entirely honest, the only magazines I read are food magazines.
According to you guys, what are the benefits of writing a novella compared to the benefits of writing a short story?
Thanks,
    Shinihime

The larger the story the better, as long as it is story and not just fill. Larger manuscripts allows you to provide more flavor and detail but often beginners end up just adding more descriptions without knowing the difference. The rewards a larger with large stories but the plot and story has to support the length without being forced to.

Best planet I've been on so far.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
Welcome back! I actually have a place for you to begin as you look for submitting your short story. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (professional organization and you must be published by approved sources to become a member) has a list here: http://www.sfwa.org/about/join-us/sfwa-membership-requirements/#short   Scroll down to the short fiction venues. With those names in hand, you should be able to access their submission guidelines.

Good luck Shinihime and keep us posted. If you don't get a bite on your first five submissions, you might want to run your story by some of the folks on line who do copy editing, or I'd be willing to read a short piece. Just send me a personal message.

If you get published? Then make sure you apply for membership while you still qualify. Can't go wrong with John Scalzi as the president. :-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
Thanks,
    Shinihime

Anything under 20k is definitely short story range, so a 3.6k story us definitely a short.
Novellas are like 30k=60k
While Novels are 70+

Those are pretty much the ranges for what to call it.

As for short stories versus novels/novellas I would say that my experience is on amazon.   Short stories have a hard time selling, even at the 0.99 price point.  While Novellas will sell at about 1/3rd or less of what a full blown Novel will do.

Others have already helped with the other questions so I'll just address this last final point.  The larger the book, assuming the same level of writing, the more you'll make.  In my experience as an Indie Author.  Note most of my short story knowledge comes from watching the amazon sales rankings and comparing them to my own novellas and novels as well as comments from some of the authors who put out shorts.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_count), the following are the range for stories:

40,000+ --- Novel
17,500 - 40,000 --- Novella
7,500 - 17,500 --- Novelette
Less than 7,500 --- Short Story

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Shinihime

• Conversationalist
  • When Terminally Depressed, Use Kittens as Antidote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
Ok, that's good to know.  I'm new to this, and I think that I'd prefer to write a fantasy romance type thing story ness terminology thing if I wanted to write something longer.  I did start one once, but I lost my thumb drive and I'm a bit apprehensive about starting over...
Hello.  Have you seen my mortality anywhere?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:10:47 AM »
According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_count), the following are the range for stories:

40,000+ --- Novel
17,500 - 40,000 --- Novella
7,500 - 17,500 --- Novelette
Less than 7,500 --- Short Story

Craig

Give me anything under 60k and sell it to me as a full blown book and I will cry havok, unless you clearly note it in the product description, in which case I will avoid it like the plague unless it has a appropriate price point... free?''

That said there are some wonderful stories out there that are lower word count.  Preferably bundled up in an anthology and part of a larger series?

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)