Author Topic: Were-Bear? (There Bear)  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Were-Bear? (There Bear)
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »
So, I might be finally getting to actually play a game instead of GMing all the time, and I've decided to play a were-bear. I've given him Inhuman Toughness, but I'm not sure what, if any, Catch he should have.

I'm thinking of giving him some kind of Norse connection, if that helps.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Were-Bear? (There Bear)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
If you're going with the Norse connection, bears were associated with Odin and through him to the Berserkers.

Berserkers were said to be immune to fire and iron, but could be hurt by blunt instruments, so perhaps your Catch could be that.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
Especially for animals and animal forms with only inhuman levels of toughness, I don't think the catch is always necessary. The additional mass and different physique just makes you tougher, it's not a magical shield.

And please, give him an aspect like "I have the right to bear arms". :P
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Jreafman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »
Someone in one of the campaigns I'm in went with "The Catch is massive damage (attacks done with Weapon:3 or greater can bypass this toughness)." Which seemed perfect, since, well, it's a bear, and for real bears you tend to have to go with massive damage just to get through the thick layers of fur and fat, not to mention their naturally thick hide.

Especially for animals and animal forms with only inhuman levels of toughness, I don't think the catch is always necessary. The additional mass and different physique just makes you tougher, it's not a magical shield.

This made me smile before even my first cup of coffee, well done sir.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »

So much win.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
I just so happen to be making a were-bear.  I went with the catch of massive damage.  The toughness works against Weapon:2 or lower attacks and is bypassed by Weapon:3 or higher attacks.  So the protection is good against knives, claws, and most handguns.  But not so good protection against rifles and shotguns and military weapons.  It seems to be a fairly realistic catch for a natural bear.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 06:27:27 PM »
The Weapon level Toughness seems like a clever and realistic way to go, I like that Idea. 

If you really prefer some more supernatural catch though, espcially in light of Haru's point, there are options:
-Obviously, if your shapeshifting is somehow rooted in Fairyland, you could have an Iron Catch, but I personally hate that one since it's every-bloody-where. 
-PJ's norse connection is an interesting one, but making the catch Bludgeoning damage strikes me as a painfully debilitating Catch, and one that doesnt feel right to me; it's the same sort of protection a chain shirt gives you, which is miles away from Bear-hide imo. 
-Running with the Norse connection, you could spin it to relate to Baldur somehow, and use his Catch of weapon's made of Mistletoe. 
-A more vague Natural vs Supernatural theme could declare that only natural weapons (teeth, claws, etc) bypass the toughness, which could fit any mythology with a nature connection, from Native American to Vanir, to a more tangential Fae style. 
-Then of course you can always go with something more exotic for the catch, Kryptonite style, but that would be more story specific. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 06:53:48 PM »
I'm wary of making it just Weapon:3, because that would include things like swords swung with nothing but regular human strength. Maybe make it high powered firearms specifically?

As for the bludgeoning, yeah, that wouldn't be very useful.

Teeth and claws kind of seem like the sort of thing the hide is specifically to defend against -- think Listens to Wind vs. the Naagloshi.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 07:03:17 PM »
Teeth and claws kind of seem like the sort of thing the hide is specifically to defend against -- think Listens to Wind vs. the Naagloshi.
true, though in that case they were both constantly changing what /kind/ of teeth and claws they were throwing at each other, to counter the other.  But my suggestion was specifically for the case if he wanted the Catch to be a purely supernatural element, rather than attempting to use the mechanic to explain the actual physically thick flesh that a Bear-form would grant.  In that case the less-than-natural PC Bear would be vulnerable to actual Nature and natural weapons, but be supernaturally protected against manufactured items.  This would have nothing to do with the actual damage type, etc.  So the toughness would protect against a claw but not a knife even if they are physically exactly the same.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Radecliffe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
One of my first characters I made was a were-bear and my catch was blade, blunt and pierce damage only. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:50:26 PM by Radecliffe »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
One of my first characters I made was a were-bear and my catch was blade, blunt and pierce damage only.
Doesn't that kind of encompass every kind of physical attack?

So did the toughness only apply to magic, then?

Offline Jreafman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
Doesn't that kind of encompass every kind of physical attack?

So did the toughness only apply to magic, then?

I'd think mortal fire/acid as well. Which would mean that all of a sudden Smokey the Bear didn't care about forest fires.... There's something just wrong about that.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
I think he means the catch was, his power only worked on phsyical attacks. Thats what im guessing from the "only" at the end of that post xD

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the "big weapons" as a catch. In comparison, a bear will take less damage from a big gun than a regular mortal would. It would still hurt him, because it's a big weapon, but it does need to get through its thick skin, and because it is a ferocious animal, it can deal with the pain better as well. Like I said, in a case like this, the source for the toughness isn't really supernatural. When the guy is changed, he is, for all intents and purposes, a bear, and those are just tougher. The bigger weapon is simply there to counter that in the first place, but it doesn't make sense to me, that it would drop the entire toughness.

Not to mention, I find "big weapons" as a catch a bit nondescript. Specific materials linked to the creature, times of the day, emotionally loaded items, things like that are the idea behind the catch, in my opinion.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »
I like the big weapon catch, because without it an elephant gun can't kill an elephant. An elephant is incredibly hard to hurt with a small weapon like a (weapon 2) pistol, and it needs Inhuman or Supernatural Toughness to represent that...but if it also has that Toughness against a (weapon 4) elephant gun, it's gonna be harder to kill than it should be.

Against a human, overpenetration means that a big gun is only a bit more effective than a little gun. Against a bear or an elephant, there's less overpenetration and the big gun is way better.