Author Topic: Druidry in the Dresden-verse (ala Iron Druid style)  (Read 3503 times)

Offline tommy19

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Druidry in the Dresden-verse (ala Iron Druid style)
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm kind of a newb to the rules and I (hopefully) have a new campaign beginning and was wanting to play a druid, much like the druids found in Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicle novels. If you haven't read them you should check them out, they're really good.

The primary feature of these druids is Spellcasting ability when standing on natural earth (soil, sand, stone, gravel, etc) but not when they're 'cut-off' from the earth (ie on concrete or in a building). Also when connected to the earth they can gain enhanced strength, speed, endurance, and recovery time.

Druids have the ability to create and/or destroy bindings, where druids take two organic materials and create/destroy invisible bonds between them. These materials can be dirt, stone, wood, metal, flesh, etc and need not be bound to a like material. This allows druids to do things like disarm opponents by binding the leather of a knife handle to a cave wall or survive a lethal poison by reacting quickly to break the poison down into it's base compounds.

Of course, being druids, they have the ability to shape shift, in this case into four distinct forms: a hooved form (horse, stag, ram), a combat form (jaguar, wolfhound, black bear), a flight form (a falcon, an owl, eagle) and an aquatic form (otter, walrus, sea lion).

Any thoughts? (I'll save my meager ideas for after I've heard from more experienced players)

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: Druidry in the Dresden-verse (ala Iron Druid style)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:47:05 PM »
I've read the first few books in the series and have given it a little thought.

I would do the Druid-y magic stuff as Sponsored Magic (basically, you are binding yourself to Gaia and the compels could be things that Atticus has to deal with such as maintaining the balance with the Earth kind of stuff). I would give it a +1 limitation rebate that it only works when in direct physical contact natural ground. Any attacks could be handled in via the evocation side of the Sponsored Magic. Things like binding/unbinding would be handled as Evothaum.

Shapeshifting into multiple forms would be handled with True Shapeshifting (possibly with a limitation in forms) and Modular Abilities.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:28:01 AM »
There's some iron druid threads hiding somewhere around here with various characters statted up.

I'll have a look....

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 12:28:31 AM »
I love those book and have read all of them! I think. Kevin Hearne might have slipped one by me while I was busy with Skin Game.

Anyway, Bobjob pretty much has the right idea, but I think the Limitation is worth waaaay more. I'd describe Atticus as having five or six Refinements at least, so along with a [-4] Sponsored Magic, he's racking up some pretty hefty Refresh costs for his spellcasting. He's kept from being an NPC by a Limitation that's worth [+1/4] at least.

I'd agree with the shapeshifting. True Shapeshifting+Modular Abilities+Limitation is probably the way to go.

There's some iron druid threads hiding somewhere around here with various characters statted up.

I'll have a look....

Me! That was me! I did that. A long time ago.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
For the purposes of finding it.  What was the name of the staff that he weilds?

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 01:42:45 AM »
For the purposes of finding it.  What was the name of the staff that he weilds?

That's actually Granuaile's staff, but it's Scathmhaide.

Atticus' magic weapons are Fragarach and Moralltach.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 01:50:30 AM »
Sponsored Magic: Druidic [-3]

Cost: This magic's cost is reduced to -2 if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy, or -1 if you have both.

Sponsor: Gaia, the spirit of the Earth, and the elementals of the tectonic plates and ecosystems.

Agenda: Defend the lifeforce of the earth from magical harm. Compete. Live. Grow.

Evocation: Druidic evocations can be used to bind things together or separate what is naturally connected as a block or maneuver; to counterspell other magic; to destroy unnatural creatures such as Red or Black Court vampires, demons, or Outsiders; or to create evocation veils.

Druidic magic evocations are extremely limited. They cannot affect entirely artificial substances such as plastics. Also, Druidic magic cannot be used as an attack against any creature tied to the earth -- in the DF, this would include animals, humans (pure mortals, faith types, and practitioners of magic) and semi-human supernaturals (changelings, Red Court infected, White Court, Faerie Knights, werewolves, Denarians), and fae. Only blocks, maneuvers and counterspells are viable against such creatures.

Thaumaturgy: Druidic magic is focused on bindings. These can be used to physically bind or separate natural things; perceive emotions and allow mutual mental communication; enhance physical, perceptual, or mental abilities or the properties of natural objects (such as the medicinal properties of herbs); communicate with animals or spirits tied to nature (such as the fae), and travel to the worlds of myth. Direct healing is also possible, but difficult and highly dangerous. At the highest level of capability, this magic can even bind the soul to the body to prevent death, or grant agelessness.  Essentially, most of this is biomancy, with the occasional excursion into the more benign end of psychomancy, and worldwalking.

Evothaum: Druidic Magic grants no evothaum.

Extra Benefits: This sponsored magic grants the power of Beast Change. If you already possess Beast Change, you can choose an additional form and skill configuration (under the normal limitations of the power).

Extra Limitation: Druidic Magic can only be cast while in skin contact with natural earth. Naturally occurring stone counts, but a cut and mortared stone floor would not.

EDIT: added more mechanics on the thaumaturgy; no evothaum; cost
EDITx2: added worldwalking
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:40:43 AM by vultur »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:57:00 AM »

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 03:34:36 AM »
I love those book and have read all of them! I think. Kevin Hearne might have slipped one by me while I was busy with Skin Game.

Anyway, Bobjob pretty much has the right idea, but I think the Limitation is worth waaaay more. I'd describe Atticus as having five or six Refinements at least, so along with a [-4] Sponsored Magic, he's racking up some pretty hefty Refresh costs for his spellcasting. He's kept from being an NPC by a Limitation that's worth [+1/4] at least.

I'd agree with the shapeshifting. True Shapeshifting+Modular Abilities+Limitation is probably the way to go.

I'm not totally sure I'd agree. The Iron Druidverse is pretty low powered relative to the Dresdenverse. I mean, you could crank up everyone's Refinement bonuses -- it's fairly arbitrary where you set the scale -- but Iron Druidverse magic is generally more limited than Dresdenverse wizard magic. The ability to use fire evocations is a rare and very scary thing when some people have it (Brighid and some witches). The gods we've seen just don't have the vast scope of power that say, Mab or Titania or Ferrovax has -- I'd say they are less impressive than the Faerie Ladies or Naagloshii. Most of the ones we've seen in action could probably be reasonably statted below 20 spent Refresh (Odin possibly being an exception).

So I dunno if Atticus needs all that much Refinement if he's mostly only dealing with people with Superb or lower skills and Inhuman-level powers.

EDIT: Also, I think True Shapeshifting + Modular Abilities puts too much mechanical emphasis on the shapeshifting, which isn't that impressive or significant in the books (and most of the abilities it would give them are redundant with or not as good as what they already have).  Mostly all it lets them do is evade targeted magic (which isn't a part of DFRPG shapeshifting powers anyway) and deal with water and stuff. They don't do combat in jaguar/wolfhound form or travel in flying form or things like that. They fight in physically-boosted human form with weapons and travel via worldwalking.

EDITx2: I did say in a previous post that he should be 20-25 Refresh, but I don't think that's the case anymore. I now think the "unbinding vampires" bit is part of the Catch of IronDruidverse vampires rather than evidence that Atticus' offensive magic is ridiculously powerful. (The only other really powerful offensive spell he casts is Cold Fire, in the first book, and it pretty much immobilizes him.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:47:07 AM by vultur »

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »
The Iron Druid does not seem like he is powerful but I think he is. He's power are not flashy like say Dresden but I think The Iron Druid can give any of Dresden's enemy's a run for there money. Atticus has a lot of different power where Harry focuses on his combat magic. Yes they are both strong. Atticus is simple more of a jack of trades to Harry's Nukem style Wizardry. And yes I know Harry has more then his magic now but is still his preferred way of dealing with thing.

P.S. I love both The Dresden Files and The Iron Druid Chronicles.

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »
I am curious about Atticus's necklace and the charms on it.(how to stat it in the Dresden files RPG) Are the charms enchanted items, focus items, a bit of both or something else. Like the Bear Charm which acts as general magic storage, for whenever Atticus needs magic, but is not directly connected to the earth. How would that work in a DFRPG. And the Faerie Specs Charm which provides him the ability to see the magical realm, such as enchantments and auras. Would the Charm simply grant The Sight or help protect the user from the ill effects of The Sight. I ask because Atticus rarely suffers any of the ill effects The Sight has. Where Harry all most seems afraid to use The Sight.
So Please tell me what you all think.

Offline tommy19

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
Wow, you guys really ran with this. lol

FYI Vultur, you're Druidic Sponsored Magic post has been formatted and printed out and now resides, errata style, in my copy of YS.

Mojosilver -- The Sight doesn't exist in the Iron Druidverse. While it's true that Atticus can see magic and auras it's something he can turn off and on easily (by using one of his charms) but it's not defined as something that the seer can never forget and, depending on what it is they saw, could haunt them forever.

I can name three times off the top of my head when Harry has used the sight; To look at the dark power infused and downright creepy lake house of Victor Sells, Once he saw his friend wrapped in and being tortured by ghostly barbed wire, and once to see the horror that was the skinwalker. And he CANNOT forget seeing them. Ever. And he'll live for hundreds of years if someone doesn't snuff him out first... so you can kind of see why he'd be a bit weary of using the sight.

Anyway, awesome work guys. Would love to see how you guys would use this information to stat up an actual DF druid character and I'm also interested to hear how you guys would handle Atticus' Necklace.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »
I am curious about Atticus's necklace and the charms on it.(how to stat it in the Dresden files RPG) Are the charms enchanted items, focus items, a bit of both or something else. Like the Bear Charm which acts as general magic storage, for whenever Atticus needs magic, but is not directly connected to the earth. How would that work in a DFRPG. And the Faerie Specs Charm which provides him the ability to see the magical realm, such as enchantments and auras. Would the Charm simply grant The Sight or help protect the user from the ill effects of The Sight. I ask because Atticus rarely suffers any of the ill effects The Sight has. Where Harry all most seems afraid to use The Sight.
So Please tell me what you all think.

I personally peg the bear charm similar to Harry's own bear belt - it maneuvers Aspects on you, which you can then tag for effect - letting you buy off a compel preventing you from using magic because you're not on earth, for example (depends on how exactly it's statted up).

I'll base the faerie specs it on Rashid's faerie ointment (and Harry's later version), since it's quite similar.

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 01:02:41 PM »
Sorry for not being clear. I know things in The Iron Druid Chronicles is different but I would like to know how to stat The Iron Druid's cold Iron Amulet and the Charms on the Amulet as a Item for DFRPG.
Would it even count as a Item of Power? The amulet can not be remove by anyone but Atticus for one. No Item of Power rebate I guess. Or simply a Character Aspect and powers?
The cold iron part of the amulet seem to let him resist many types of magic. Not really magic Immunity or Atticus would not need the Fulgurite Stone Back. And Atticus's body counts as cold iron so any Fae that touch him die. So I am not even sure where to start.
The Bear Charm seems to store magic for spells. thanks for the idea on how to do that in game Locnil. Anybody have some more.
The Camouflage Charm cloaks Atticus and anyone he's in contact with in a near invisibility. Focus item bonus to Defend (Veil) I am guessing. Maybe?
Faerie Specs Charm which provides him the ability to see the magical realm, such as enchantments and auras. The Sight power only or something more to help with the ill effects of The Sight. Some kind of bonus to Discipline maybe.
Fulgurite Stone Back would seem to be Immunity to Lightning.
Healing Charm in case Atticus is not in contact with the Earth this stores his healing magic. More Compels like Locnil said for the Bear Charm maybe? Thanks again Locnil.
Night Charm which provides night vision. Cloak of Shadows Power or something more like Rashid's faerie ointment but for seeing in the dark maybe?
Shape shifting Charms. Beast Change Power is one form and True Shape shifting is more than Atticus's four forms.
Soul catcher Charm. More Compels???
Vampire Charm for killing vampires. Again not sure where to start on that one.
Hopefully everybody can see what I am asking. So any thoughts everybody?