Author Topic: Mortal Vigalante who uses enchanted items.  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Mortal Vigalante who uses enchanted items.
« on: June 24, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
I've had an idea for a mortal vigilante kind of like the Punisher/Kincaid but writ small who uses enchanted items.  Would the character need magical energy to power them, or simply the know-how for the crafting rituals to use them?. I was thinking he could be a minor talent at highest, but I was curious about how far I'd be able to go with a plain vanilla mortal

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mortal Vigalante who uses enchanted items.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »
They need to have a buddy that can craft and power said items in the first place if they're pure mortals. It's like Harry giving his duster and some potions to Murphy. Well, maybe a shortened version of his duster - otherwise Murphy would be tripping all over it.

As for a minor talent that crafts stuff himself, I don't think there's an upper limit beyond their Refresh. For example;
[-2] Ritual Crafting
[-7] Refinement
This guy is a submerged character with superb Lore, a +5 crafting power focus, a +5 crafting frequency focus and 12 enchanted item or potion slots. Each of his items or potions has a Power of 10 and can be used 6 times/session minimum.

That gives him 72 spells/day at Power 10 minimum and he's technically a minor talent.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »
You might want to take a look at this character, he pretty much does exactly that. He gets his enchanted items and artifacts from others. Though he doesn't count as a vanilla mortal. If you use powers, you are no longer a pure mortal, and that includes enchanted items.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28667.msg1924312.html#msg1924312
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:33:34 AM »
Keep in mind you can't take more than 2 Refinement without being a Wizard; sorcerers and other practitioners don't get to stack it that high.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 01:07:37 AM »
Nope. A focused practitioner can take as many refinements as he wants - they are just limited to items. The "only two refinements" thing is a specific limitation on the sorcerer template.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:25 AM »
I'm sure Scant can find it better than me, but I've written skill replacement stunts that basically let you use Resources or Contacts instead of Lore for enchanted items.

If you're willing to go minor talent, Ritual Crafting lets you basically craft any effect into an item (while other types of Ritual let you make items specific to your speciality or theme).

I'd be very interested in a sponsored magic type thing with debt to a minor entity
(click to show/hide)
allowing access to magic items and such.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 01:20:49 AM »
I've had an idea for a mortal vigilante kind of like the Punisher/Kincaid but writ small who uses enchanted items.  Would the character need magical energy to power them, or simply the know-how for the crafting rituals to use them?. I was thinking he could be a minor talent at highest, but I was curious about how far I'd be able to go with a plain vanilla mortal
  Well... there's no "Pure Mortal" refresh-bonus, at least, even if his flavor-text says he's a mortal.

If his "schtick" is using magic-items, he isn't a "Pure Mortal" under DFRPG rules -- even if he's using Other People's Magic, HE is still the magic user, and so not a "Pure Mortal" from a game-mechanics perspective.

Now, you could write him up without any "magic" except the items, so as to not spend Refresh on those powers; he might use inherited items, or be the front-man for some entity/group that wants him armed that way, for reasons of their own...  Hexenwolf Plus, as it were...

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »
I'd go with Item of Power (Utility Belt of Magic Items) and buy Ritualist: Crafting through it.

Definitely not a vanilla mortal, under the Template rules, but mortal as far as in-game matters would be concerned.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
Yeah, the more I've thought it over, the more I've decided on him possibly being a no longer being just a plain vanilla and having some magical ability, just not sure whether he's a minor talent or a focused practitioner with a sponsor equipping him with stuff. On the utility belt option, what else would you include with it?.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:26:13 PM by Jebm »