Author Topic: MageKnight help  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
MageKnight help
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:33:20 AM »
I'm trying to make a spellcaster that's both proficient at magic and swords. Submerged level. But I can't get the mix right. So far I've thought of

transcendend swordmanship/unlimited blade works
a stunt to replace weapons and athletics with Discipline Lore

or

crafting
inhuman speed/something
the same stunt

Any input is appreciated.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: MageKnight help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »
Weapons, Lore at 5 (Superb)
Conviction, Discipline at 4 (Great)
Other skills placed according to character concept.  Done.  Aspects also placed according to character concept.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
What sort of magic is he supposed to do? Do you want a "throw fireball at enemy, slice up what's left" sort of guy? Or more subtle magic that enhances and compliments his swordsmanship? I think that's quite important to determine, before settling on powers or skills.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »
Well, a ranged option should always be there for out of reach opponents (metallomantic blasts?), but one of the things I initially thought was indeed to enhance the capabilities of the human body, controlling multiple swords at once etc.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:53:14 PM »
What I'm thinking is, that maybe magic doesn't need to be magic in the way of evocation or thaumaturgy.

Instead, you could take strength and speed powers and say that they are an application of your magic. Toughness is really just hardening your skin like metal, etc.

Throwing a sword is easy, you can use weapons for that, it doesn't need to be extra magic. Being able to call the sword back to your hand could be a single 1 refresh power that allows you to do so as a supplemental action.

Multiple swords is a tough one. What exactly would it mean? You don't usually get extra actions, and I wouldn't recommend it either. It could just be flavor for a power that increases your weapons skill.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
Something like attacking telekinetically with 4 swords at once (mechanically a zone/spray attack, zone block etc) or as you said flavour for increasing the weapon skill. I like magic for its versatility, which is the theme of the character, so it's nice to have it at least as an option.

(For extra actions, one idea is to do the ritual of transcendend swordmanship and summon fallen warriors. :P )

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 07:22:21 PM »
Skills:
+5: Lore, Weapons
+4: Athletics, Discipline
+3: Endurance, Conviction

Powers/Stunts
[+0] Wizard's Constitution
[-3] Thaumaturgy (+1 craft power, +2 craft frequency, +2/+2 craft focus, 8 enchanted item slots)
[-4] Refinement
[-1] The Vorpal Sword
  *Discount: +2
  *It is what it is: weapon 3 sword
  *True Aim
  *Supernatural Sharpness: +2 weapon rating
  *Vorpal Strike: reduces target toughness power by 1 rank
[-1] Footwork

Items
Tactical Suit: armor 3 vs piercing, 2 vs anything else, 5 uses of 8-shift block.
Ring of the Far Hand: 8-shift might effect for throwing or moving targets, 5 uses.
Ring of Massacre: wielded weapon becomes weapon 6 and zone-wide for 1 attack, 5 uses.
Amulet of Warding: 8-shift instant ward, 5 uses
4 potions of power 8 and 5 uses each
Frag Grenades: weapon 4, each enchanted with "Deep Impact" and "Homing Projectile" aspects via ritual.
High Explosives: weapon 10, mechanical timer. Veiled to be invisible with ritual.
Lucky Charms: chain of charms, each enchanted with "Lucky Charm" and "Good Fortune" aspects via ritual.

This guy works well enough. He goes around with Weapon 5 attack +6 melee ability that eats through enemy toughness and also confers Fantastic (+6) defense via footwork. Then he has several enchanted items and potions of considerable power. He also has various mundane items improved via his Thaumaturgy. Last but not least, said Thaumaturgy is decent enough for some slow, low-key magic.

With his abilities he could go toe to toe with the Loup-Garou or one of the Denarians in their current writeups.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:24:42 PM by Belial666 »

Offline idirex

• Conversationalist
  • "Wake Up Sheeple" xkcd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
 :D Sorry , Im hijacking this spot ...
Edited the previous post
This post will be edited multiple times

Soul-fire Gear-head
(click to show/hide)
Pyromaniac Steam-punk
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:26:32 AM by idirex »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
I'd say go the eastern route, make one of his elements Metal, and just use the attack spells there and flavor them as sword strikes.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast