Author Topic: Lawbreaker proxy?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Lawbreaker proxy?
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »
If someone makes a magic item like Harry's force rings and then gives it to someone else and then that someone else uses it to kill, what happens lawbreaker-wise? Or, if someone brews a potion or potionlike item with questionable effects and then gives it to someone else, and that someone else uses it for Lawbreaking, what happens?

Basically, if you make some magic but someone else uses it for Lawbreaking, do you get the Lawbreaking or they? What if a mortal without innate magic or a nonhuman monster (that can't get Lawbreaker) uses your magic items like that, what happens?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Lawbreaker proxy?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
My opinion:
If the wizard makes an item with the intent to kill, but lets someone else use it, I'd say yes, you won't get around the rules that easily. Maybe even the act of creating the item would give you a lawbreaker, but that would be up for debate.

If it is just a regular magic item, like Harry's force rings, the user is going to have to deal with it. Kind of like how Toot and company weren't responsible for their actions, because they were merely a weapon used by Harry. In this case, someone else is using the wizards magic as their weapon, so the wizard would not be tarnished. What he himself or the white council make of it is another matter, though.

Also, Sancta put up this Law talk thread while you were gone, so things wouldn't get out of hand in other threads:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,36777.0.html
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Lawbreaker proxy?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 07:16:42 AM »
I would say no - making a gun is not murder. And it's still not murder, on your part, if someone then uses it to kill.