Author Topic: Use of Music  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
Use of Music
« on: August 15, 2007, 05:04:50 AM »
Hey gang, more questions from the clueless wonder.

For years, everytime I hear music, I can see scenes of stories in my head. In fact, most of my novel is derived through one point or another through music. It's to the point where it's incorporated into some of the dialouge, and the music itself is written in lyric form and even discuss it at to an extent.

Now, for those of you in the biz, if I want to get this novel published, do I need to get copyright from the singer/writers of these songs? Or by citing them in the novel itself, am I covering myself?

Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
Re: Use of Music
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 05:22:09 AM »
I don't really know, but I have seen in the publishing information at the front of one of the Dean Koontz book (and in one of the Stephen King books) there's a line in there that the lyric is copyright by a band or whatever. So yeah, you can include the music in there, but I don't know about legality or anything like that.

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:08:51 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think you have to get the copyright.

Maybe it's different if you use less of the song? I'm not actually sure.
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:06:01 PM »
Yeah, if you use like a lyric or two, it's less of a big deal as if you put in several lyrics.

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 11:18:35 PM »
Pretty sure the music companies will raise hell if you reproduce any recognizable snippet of lyrics without appropriate permissions.  They're annoying that way...
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 01:40:54 AM »
When we use music as a background to a radio ad for theater---we pay for a membership so it's legal.  Pretty sure the music companies could come after you if the book became common knowledge out there.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »
Ok, the next part of my question is this:

Does music have any influence in the things you write, or how you write?
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline CrazyGerbilLady

• Posty McPostington
  • Rumblestrut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 05:37:41 AM »
It's not unusual for what I write to be inspired either by music or a video.  I have a short story in progress directly inspired by a rock video ...
SqueakyTiki, goddess of rodents and other small furries

Offline ihatepeas

• Participant
  • An unabashed novel-reader
    • View Profile
    • Dating the Tooth Fairy
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 11:05:34 PM »
Nothing of mine has sprung directly from music, but I find it very helpful when I write. It blocks out other noise, and when I find something with a mix of fast and slow songs, intense and light, it's good background. I've taken to burning CDs for every novel, sort of like a soundtrack. Thinking about the kinds of music my characters would listen to, or the songs that might describe them, gets me a little deeper into their heads, and that's always a good thing.

--Sarah
"I tracked you down with this. This is my 'timey-wimey' detector. Goes ding when there's stuff. Also, it can boil an egg at thirty paces. Whether you want it to or not, actually, so I've learned to stay away from hens. It's not pretty when they blow." --Doctor Who