Author Topic: Punching Bag  (Read 8286 times)

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
Punching Bag
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:11:52 PM »
I know this isn't going to make me any friends in this area, but I have never played and Pen and Paper RPG's.  I hung out with the ones who did, but they would of abused be on the wrestling team more than they did.  It just wasn't cool.  I did it for the women.  Yes I did just say that!  I have no idea where to start in all of this.  All of those I have just offended, please help
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline fivestyle

• Posty McPostington
  • I like Coke and cold showers!
    • View Profile
Re: Punching Bag
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »
I recommend going to the local comic shop and just talking to the people there over by the RPG book section. Usually you'll either find a couple people there always looking to add more to there group. If that doesn't work then just look for a posting board in the store where people usually post info on joining there game, and if still nothing ask the clerk. If all these options fail then I suggest trying to look up a group on the internet for your area.

Other than that your only option is too start your own group. If this is the case then peruse the RPG books in the store and ask the clerk what is best to start with. Personally I reccomend stuff by White Wolf since it's very easy to learn and get a game going where as other things like DnD can be very confusing and very time consuming to get started. Then buy some dice print out character sheets and invite friends over to play...Well after you've read the book and come up with an adventure to run for them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:21:14 PM by fivestyle »

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 07:37:47 PM »
I recommend going to the local comic shop and just talking to the people there over by the RPG book section. Usually you'll either find a couple people there always looking to add more to there group. If that doesn't work then just look for a posting board in the store where people usually post info on joining there game, and if still nothing ask the clerk. If all these options fail then I suggest trying to look up a group on the internet for your area.

Other than that your only option is too start your own group. If this is the case then peruse the RPG books in the store and ask the clerk what is best to start with. Personally I reccomend stuff by White Wolf since it's very easy to learn and get a game going where as other things like DnD can be very confusing and very time consuming to get started. Then buy some dice print out character sheets and invite friends over to play...Well after you've read the book and come up with an adventure to run for them.
I live in Vienna VA and the comic shop where my subscriptions are do not have a rpg section, the folks behind the counter loo as punk as f*ck.  I know little about RPG's but, I don't even like sharing a beer with people who are not my friends, ergo the reason why I don't drink. Alas, no friends.
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:54:39 PM »
There's another thread a lot like this one here and some of the information there might help you out.

The best wayto learn how to play RPGs is to have someone there to show you. The game store group is nice, or a friend is better. Without some of those resources, you might try joining one of those play-by-post message boards to get in the spirit of telling stories with each other.

The tricky part of tabletop RPGs may be the rules. You should look for a game that is light on rules rather than an encyclopedia to try to read through. I have some personal preferences as to games, but one to try might be Spirit of the Century because it's pretty narritive (rather than number crunchy) and is the core rules which the Dresden Files RPG are being built upon.

Often, early versions of games are more simple than newer versions becasue as people play the games they add to them and the game slowly expands. If you want an "old school" game you might look for any Dungeons & Dragons rules set publlished before 1999, or Tunnels & Trolls of 5th edition or earlier. Both are simple enough to figure out by yourself. These can often be found cheap on e-bay. I can give you more exact titles to search for if you have interest in these products.

Another option is to search google for "RPG" and "free" and find some stuff that won't cost you anything to read over. The downside of this is that the quality control doesn't exist and you may end up more confused than you began. Some free RPGs are better than others, however, and you might look for Fudge or Fate, both of which are excellent games.

Tabletop RPGs are all about story telling with each other, and the rules just help us avoid the "did so / did not" arguments. If you find the right game for your personality, you should find RPGs to be an excellent hobby.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:08:05 PM »
It's hard to do table top RPG's when you are a misanthrope/agoraphobe.  I played MMPORGs before but, it lacks that personal interaction and if I want to stay in my relationship, it is wise that I stay away.  Baby I'm home!  Hmm, great.  I have read some books on the subject, but it was sort of like reading the Kama Sutra when your a virgin, unsatifying.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »
Or, y'know, we could meet up some time.  I work in Arlington, and live in Herndon.  PM me if you're interested.

For a game store in the area, you'll likely want Game Parlor, either in Woodbridge or Chantilly.  That's the best one in the area.  You can also try Compleat Strategist, in Falls Church.

And, there's a local mailing list, dcrpg on Yahoo Groups.

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
Or, y'know, we could meet up some time.  I work in Arlington, and live in Herndon.  PM me if you're interested.

For a game store in the area, you'll likely want Game Parlor, either in Woodbridge or Chantilly.  That's the best one in the area.  You can also try Compleat Strategist, in Falls Church.

And, there's a local mailing list, dcrpg on Yahoo Groups.
I went to the compleat Staragist, they were snarky and condecending to me.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »
Yeah, they have that problem a lot.  Game Parlor is much friendlier.