Author Topic: Sacred Guardian, Rewritten  (Read 2260 times)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Sacred Guardian, Rewritten
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:24:25 AM »
Sacred Guardian (Totally Rewritten) [-2]
You possess a holy power that allows you to harm monsters that would otherwise resist or ignore your attacks.
Musts: You must have a high concept representing some sort of celestial or divinely empowered status.
Skills Affected: Fists, Guns, Weapons.
Benefits: Holy Attacks. Your physical attacks satisfy Catches of "holy stuff".
Shatter the Immunity. You may take one point of Mental Stress, before rolling the attack, to allow a single attack to satisfy any Catch or Catches possessed by your opponent.

Does that look more balanced? Cheaper than ACAEBG, but per-attack, not per-scene.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sacred Guardian, Rewritten
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:28:19 AM »
Hm.

Probably balanced for standard use, but maybe unfair when combined with a big alpha-strike. I'd be a bit afraid of an evoker who used this when tagging every Aspect they could on a big spell.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:41:53 AM »
Hm.

Probably balanced for standard use, but maybe unfair when combined with a big alpha-strike. I'd be a bit afraid of an evoker who used this when tagging every Aspect they could on a big spell.

I intended to not allow its use with Evocation, but I guess that wasn't clear. Just Fists, Guns, Weapons.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »

I feel compelled at this point (do I get a Fate Point on the Compell?) to cite the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.  Weapons, "Holy Stuff" and probably a multiply-tagged Evocation could do something to magnify the effects...  Placing it, shaping the charge, etc...

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:23:45 AM »
Honestly I'd make it stick with just melee attacks to avoid that sort of thing. Fists, swords, etc. make more sense as an extension of one's own body than a gun does.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 04:01:05 AM »
Honestly I'd make it stick with just melee attacks to avoid that sort of thing. Fists, swords, etc. make more sense as an extension of one's own body than a gun does.

That was my original idea, but then I decided a "holy gunslinger" could be a cool character, so I decided to leave it open to that.

I could change it though.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
That was my original idea, but then I decided a "holy gunslinger" could be a cool character, so I decided to leave it open to that.

I could change it though.

"I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart."
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:07:01 PM »
"I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart."
Dude, that's a pandora's box right there. Do you know how much time will it takes us to stat them?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »
Totally worth it. The Dark Tower is one of my favourite series and has been for over a decade.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 04:53:03 AM »
"The Bark" has always seemed a bit odd to me too.

Given what we know now about Temple/Foo Dogs' connection to thresholds, I'm tempted to say that rather than acting as a maneuver to startle/drive off NN creatures, it creates a temporary threshold....

something like...

The Bark [-1?]
Musts: Bless This House
Skills Affected: Conviction
Benefits: Threshold.  This creates a threshold with a value equal to your Conviction in an area with no threshold. It surrounds an area equal to your zone and all adjacent zones; you may increase this out to two zones by taking a 1-mental-stress hit.
Purifying Influence [-1]. Within the area surrounded by the threshold, harmful magic must overcome a block equal to your Conviction to take effect.