Author Topic: Comics  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
Comics
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:48:34 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone knew how you'd go about getting into writing comics. What I want to do is an Ultimate Marvel series only briefly touched on in one of the Spider-man volumes. I had an idea of how to turn Deadpool around and make an Ultimate Deadpool series, but 1) I don't know how to write for a comic and 2) I have no contacts within Marvel.

So does anyone know?

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 04:14:51 AM »
Send off and get a Marvel Idea Submission Form, fill it out, and write up a proposal. http://www.marvel.com/company/index.htm?sub=submissions_current.htm
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:48:53 AM »
Slight snag. I'm wanting to do an Ultimate version of one of their super "heroes" and they ask that the submitted stuff be original. Crap. Well, they own the rights to it and they know it.

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 01:00:24 AM »
Do you know the main news sites, like Superherohype and Newsarama? You can probably find things from there. That, or hunt down books or interviews with writers. I can't think of too many right now, but a search across Amazon could probably find some of them.

Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline fivestyle

• Posty McPostington
  • I like Coke and cold showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »
Slight snag. I'm wanting to do an Ultimate version of one of their super "heroes" and they ask that the submitted stuff be original. Crap. Well, they own the rights to it and they know it.
you can try to pass it off as an original Ultimate Deadpool story

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 05:22:55 AM »
Here's another question: How do I do it? Like a movie script or what?

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 06:07:17 AM »
Searches are way too much fun.

For a synopsis of a miniseries, Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns has one as a sort of afterword. It's not what you mean, but it might be useful.

On an Amazon search, there's "Panel One: Comic Book Scripts By Top Writers" which seems like what you want. Seems there's a lot of different ways!

Here's another link, he writes them like scripts:
http//www.newsarama.com/general/WordsWordsWords/WWW03.htm

Writing them like scripts is probably the safest thing to do. :)
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »
Like a movie script, but a little more structured. There are some wierd rules I won't go into atm cause it's 745 in the morning, I'm still up and I can't remember em. The best resource I've seen for this was "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Graphic Novels" or something along those lines. Great sample scripts with a clear explanation of the rules, ways to demonstrate page lay out ect.

And as far as I know it's pretty hard to break into comics like that as an unknown. The best route seems to be publish something else in comic form. Any thing really, that will get you noticed. Failling that hound Marvel editors at conventions with a good portfolio.

Offline fivestyle

• Posty McPostington
  • I like Coke and cold showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 02:06:26 PM »
Yeah I've noticed that most people need to create there own comics to get recognized and that gets a bit difficult if your not that good at drawing

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »
Well there is a great resource out there for people of various skill sets trying to break into comics. You can find pencilers, inkers letterers, colorists and writers at www.digitalwebbing.com

The down side you get a lot of replies from people who's art work is just awful and in my personal experience all the promising applicants didn't speak much english.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 10:05:17 PM »
Yeah I've noticed that most people need to create there own comics to get recognized and that gets a bit difficult if your not that good at drawing

I don't really WANT to get recognized (or at leas it's not necessary.) I just want to write Ultimate Deadpool. I want to be known for other kinds of writing, really.

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 03:52:09 AM »
It's kind of an issue of them not turning over an established character to an unknown writer unfortunantlly. Maybe the rules for ultimate are different since they're non continuitty. I dunno.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 03:59:42 AM »
I didn't think Deadpool was all that well known, you know.

Offline *Lady Disappearing Act *

• Posty McPostington
  • don't you use those ellipses on me
    • View Profile
    • Upstairs Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 04:05:22 AM »
in answer to the "how to" some comic books have sample scripts in the back.  the last trade paperback of Seven Soldiers of Victory is the most recent example i can think of.  there's one in a trade paperback of Sandman too -  maybe the one where Death gets introduced?  it's generally like a movie script where they describe what's going on in every shot.  don't get too detailed though - you don't want to cramp your artist, and you'll have a storyboard of thumbnails anyway.
i was there for the first International Rasputin Day

You should be watching Break a Leg

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 04:18:56 AM »
There's an order too it though. descriptions goes first, then dialouge, then thought baloons and or caption boxes, then as I recall sound effects (SFX) and finally any other text that appears. ala words on a sign, a t shirt ect.

The scripts are broken down by page and pannel. There's no set number of pannels per page, and the best way I've found to detail the layout you want is to include a small numbered dialouge of each page with the panel numbers.