Author Topic: Precognition upgrade  (Read 2423 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Precognition upgrade
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:48:08 PM »
This is an update for Precognition that I've had in the works, and I'm trying to get ideas for balancing it.

Focused Precognition [-1] (Requires Precognition): Define a set of circumstances (for example, against vampires or near liquid water). Your Precognition only works in these circumstances. However, in exchange, when tagging an aspect created by Precognition for a dodge, you may increase the tag benefit to +4, a reroll and a +2, or two rerolls.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Precognition upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »
Of the top of my head Id say clarify active vs passive activation, and maybe restrict it to something more specific in that situation (ie not just all vampires all teh time everywhere, but rather the one your are focused on fighting, or only when you know there is a possibility of a vampire attack).  That would push it toward the same realm as Intellectus, where you have to "ask the right question" to make use of it.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
Of the top of my head Id say clarify active vs passive activation, and maybe restrict it to something more specific in that situation (ie not just all vampires all teh time everywhere, but rather the one your are focused on fighting, or only when you know there is a possibility of a vampire attack).  That would push it toward the same realm as Intellectus, where you have to "ask the right question" to make use of it.

Well, Precognition is by definition of the power short range, so I didn't feel the need to clarify.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
The slightly weak for 1 refresh (I'd extend the benefit to all invocations of the aspect for the purpose of benefiting a dodge be they by means of FP, tag, or debt).  But comes attached to a substantial additional restriction (no precognition outside designated condition).  Why?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
The slightly weak for 1 refresh (I'd extend the benefit to all invocations of the aspect for the purpose of benefiting a dodge be they by means of FP, tag, or debt).  But comes attached to a substantial additional restriction (no precognition outside designated condition).  Why?

I'd be willing to extend the conditions

The limitation is primarily to prevent abuse. I mean, if you just had this (assuming it was unrestricted), then at Submerged, you can be dodging at Awesome almost all the time, basically. And still have seven Fate Points left over, to boot. To give you an idea, a Wizard at that same level can throw spells off of a Fantastic. If he's lucky.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »
All the them when spending tags/FPs.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »
All the them when spending tags/FPs.

Yeah, but Precognition gives you a basically free tag every time someone attacks. And that's pretty damn powerful. And scary. Combine it with boosting the tag, it can get pretty broken, pretty quick.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
Maybe I should read that power again.
Slough

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:27:21 AM »
I'd be willing to extend the conditions

The limitation is primarily to prevent abuse. I mean, if you just had this (assuming it was unrestricted), then at Submerged, you can be dodging at Awesome almost all the time, basically.

Yeah, that would be really strong.

To give you an idea, a Wizard at that same level can throw spells off of a Fantastic. If he's lucky.

Well, a wizard optimized for control/accuracy can do quite a bit better than that. Superb Discipline ... plus the +1 that comes with Evocation, put into [element] control ... plus a +3 [element] offensive control focus item is a +9 control with his favored element. (Probably only has 4 base power though.) That's with no extra refresh beyond the wizard template, and leaving one slot open for a +1 defensive power focus item or two potions or something...

At Submerged, you can do even better (+2 specialization bonus and/or more item slots...)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 12:32:57 AM »
I'm not a big fan of this upgrade. It seems to permit/encourage a level of specialization that I'd rather not see.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 03:14:27 AM »
I'm not a big fan of this upgrade. It seems to permit/encourage a level of specialization that I'd rather not see.

Well. Yes. That's the point. Specialization is literally the entire reason I wrote the power.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 04:14:18 AM »
There's a limit to the level of specialization that should be allowed.