Author Topic: Channelling Through Touch  (Read 1384 times)

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Channelling Through Touch
« on: April 05, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
So I've got a character idea in mind that I'd like to try and work, but I've run into a bit of a stumbling block.

The basic idea is a character that can only use her Channelling ability through touch. Normally I'd go for Incite Effect, but I want this ability to be more along the lines of Powerful, but harder to hit with (note: My group uses the house rule that has Evocations aimed with base Discipline only).

So, how would I go about modelling this? I could go the route of replacing Discipline with Fists, but then that doesn't cover the control part of the roll. I could go with Discipline, but then that doesn't model the needing to hit people part of it.

Any suggestions on how to work this?
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Channelling Through Touch
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
Maybe just a +1 limitation that you can only target people in your own zone....and probably limit you to non-zone-wide attacks...

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
Just adopt the grappling rules. You need an aspect to initiate the magic attack, and as long as that aspect is there (i.e. your opponent hasn't done a maneuver to get rid of the aspect, or something else makes the aspect void), you can use it to justify an attack.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
Eh, intimidation/deception-based Incite Emotions attacks don't need an extra or different roll despite (by default) requiring contact of some sort.
At most, I'd go with that minor Limitation suggested by Taran.  More likely, I'd just use Compels to not target people outside the same zone.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
Good points. I'll likely go with the Limitation [+1] for same zone, non-zone attacks then. A nice, simple solution since I don't envision this kind of spell needing much contact. Just a touch and then boom, you're bleeding from the ears.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
Use that saved refresh to buy a stunt/power to move discipline to Fists and Control to Endurance and you can have a pretty mean melee fighter.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »
Not a bad idea, actually. I think I'll go with that.