Linked Events

• Skin Game Release Party in Redondo Beach: May 27, 2014

Author Topic: Skin Game Release Party in Los Angeles/Redondo Beach - May 27  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Skin Game Launch Party at Mysterious Galaxy: Los Angeles
May 27, 7:30pm
2810 Artesia Blvd
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
310-542-6000

See link for further information!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:57:31 PM by Priscellie »

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Skin Game Release Party in Los Angeles/Redondo Beach
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:18:00 AM »
So!  Who all is joining me? 

PAR-TAY, BUTCHER FANS!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »
You certainly are a temptress, but I'll wait until Sunday.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:57:04 PM »
So!  Who all is joining me? 

PAR-TAY, BUTCHER FANS!

I'm going to go to the SD one because it's so much closer to me.  Are you doing both?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
I'm going to go to the SD one because it's so much closer to me.  Are you doing both?

I was going to, but a friend invited me on an impromptu road trip that starts the morning of the 28th.  Gotta grab your summer break while you can! :D

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Skin Game Release Party in Los Angeles/Redondo Beach - May 27
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:51:35 PM »
I have decided to go to to skin games release party in Redondo beach.   if anyone else is going let me know so we can meet up
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline Fishface

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
how do these usually work?  My brother and I are thinking of flying in from Utah to attend the one on May 27th since we are huge fans.  Is there a line?  Is it good to show up early and in general how early?  Ive done signings for Brandon Sanderson and Im not sure how similar they are.  Any info would be great.  Thanks!

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 03:14:53 PM »
If you follow the link Pris posted to the MG website, there is a bit more information.

Their signings are usually numbered - the earlier purchases go first.  I've not actually been to a release day party, but what they usually do is start assigning numbers the day of release - they do not take pre-orders.  As a general rule, I call in near opening that day and purchase over the phone.  Getting there earlier will help you get a good spot for the talk part of the signing, get your book in your hands, etc.  I don't know that I'd camp out in store all day, though.

MG is an awesome store.  They're very responsive to emails and phone calls and can probably help you with questions that I can't answer.

(I haven't been to the RB store much, but the original SD store is great.)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Fishface

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
Great.  Thanks Amber.  Just wasnt sure what to expect.  The Brandon Sanderson signings Ive been too usually have a huge line with people camping out 4-5 days etc So i wasnt sure if it was the same here.  So i can call that morning and get the book and my number? 

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
I would call or email the store to confirm, but that should work.  MG hosts a frightening number of signings.  They've got it down to a science.
- Marie Curie

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
Great.  Thanks Amber.  Just wasnt sure what to expect.  The Brandon Sanderson signings Ive been too usually have a huge line with people camping out 4-5 days etc So i wasnt sure if it was the same here.  So i can call that morning and get the book and my number?

Brandon's launch events really are events so draw a big crowd of his local fans.  Jim's MG launch will likely be a big crowd but not that big.  It would be best to call MG just to make sure since you aren't local.

As an FYI, if you are going to fly somewhere to see Jim, you might consider Phoenix Comicon where he will be doing multiple panels and multiple signings (as well as one at Poisoned Pen which just hosted Brandon).   I'm willing to bet there might be another author or two you'd like to see.  You'd still be giving Mysterious Galaxy your business since they are the bookseller at the convention.

Lee Whiteside
Books and Authors Manager, Phoenix Comicon

Offline Sormyst

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 03:22:57 AM »
I actually was there last year and while the store is quite full, there is no line. It is very well organized.

Now the strange part was that I left after the third question, but that was because I am a bit of a freak about not knowing ahead of time what happens. The book had been out about a day at this point and someone asked a question that seemed to be leading to an answer that would touch on what had just happened with the just released book and in the future. Btw, I do live very close so it was not all that inconvenient to go and then leave.

Anyone been to these type of signings and left disappointed that too much of the just released book was given away? I liked the little bit that I saw with Jim speaking to the crowd, it is the question and answer portion where some fanboy tries to impress the author that he has read the book the very first day it was released that I fear.....

Offline ebrock

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
I'll be going.  I can't wait! :)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 01:58:41 AM »
I actually was there last year and while the store is quite full, there is no line. It is very well organized.

Now the strange part was that I left after the third question, but that was because I am a bit of a freak about not knowing ahead of time what happens. The book had been out about a day at this point and someone asked a question that seemed to be leading to an answer that would touch on what had just happened with the just released book and in the future. Btw, I do live very close so it was not all that inconvenient to go and then leave.

Anyone been to these type of signings and left disappointed that too much of the just released book was given away? I liked the little bit that I saw with Jim speaking to the crowd, it is the question and answer portion where some fanboy tries to impress the author that he has read the book the very first day it was released that I fear.....

Asking spoilery questions on a signing tour is VERY frowned upon.  If that fan did so, you're definitely not the only person who would've been upset with him or her.  It's generally assumed that the overwhelming majority of the people in the audience haven't read the book.  I've seen Jim stop a fan from saying something spoilery in a Q&A.  You shouldn't have to worry about it, especially as Redondo Beach will be the first stop on the tour.

Offline Sormyst

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 05:46:18 AM »
Asking spoilery questions on a signing tour is VERY frowned upon.  If that fan did so, you're definitely not the only person who would've been upset with him or her.  It's generally assumed that the overwhelming majority of the people in the audience haven't read the book.  I've seen Jim stop a fan from saying something spoilery in a Q&A.  You shouldn't have to worry about it, especially as Redondo Beach will be the first stop on the tour.

Hmm, thank you for the info. Now I am thinking I will indeed go!