Author Topic: Input on custom recovery-like power  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Input on custom recovery-like power
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »
What refresh cost would you give this effect? It is specifically a retooling of one of the effects of Inhuman Recovery.
Second Wind
Once per scene you may clear away a Mild Physical or Mental consequence resulting from Spellcasting (including Backlash) or Fatigue/Exhaustion as a supplemental action.
Would this be -1 or -2 just on its own? Should it be rounded out with additional effects to be a proper power? Is it at all "balanceable"?

Background:
A couple of different lines of though came together in my head recently. Firstly thinking of a way to handle an item for my wizard storing life force for concentrated use at a later point (think Harry's bear-shaped belt buckle, or his energy rings only with life force instead of kinetic energy); later there was a discussion here about Recovery powers and Backlash.

When these two ideas met in my head, I started looking at a retooling of Recovery - a "clone" to specifically work on these things. Since I'm not yet planning on having continual access to the power I didn't really look into the other parts of Recovery (since they are all longer-term effects), but they should really be easy enough to add in if you want to round it out a bit. It's meant to be more restrictive in what physical effects it can shrug off, but in exchange be able to clear a common but still specific type of mental consequences as well. So, no clearing out consequences caused by attacks done to you, whether physical or mental.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Input on custom recovery-like power
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »
My 2cents:  I would price it at -2.   It works exactly like recovery except:

Draw-back: there's no long-term recovery
Bonus:  You can choose which type of minor consequence to clear out (mental or physical)

I don't see the need to specify whether or not it works against backlash or calling up power unless you feel mentioning that is necessary.  It just works, regardless of the consequence.  By letting it cure a consequence as a result of calling up power, it essentially lets you do an extra spell.  By letting it cure back-lash, it gives you the ability to flub a roll or add a bit more power to a spell.

Would it be affected by a catch?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
Taran, I think you missed the limitation clause on the types of consequences that can be affected when doing that costing.
You can't use this against a gunshot, sword-wound, etc.
I think that drops it solidly down to the -1 range.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:47:36 PM »
Yeah.

Actually, I'd say this might be a bit weak for 1 Refresh. I'd rather have a stunt offering 2 extra mild slots for spellcasting.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
Thanks for the input!

I'm thinking it sort of comes "catch included", as it's not going to help against either a Ghouls Claws or a Whampires Incite Emotion. The basic idea is that you have a much boosted energy recovery - you get your breath back (both physically and mentally) a lot faster. No matter the amount of energy you have, you won't really heal a broken bone any faster though. ;) That's why I specified the type of consequence, to clearly make it be something unlike the obviously supernatural "wounds close and bones reset before your very eyes" of Recovery.

The effect of letting you cast one more spell if you choose is fully intended, and actually a big part of the idea - but I want it to have that bit of flexibility to be usable for a little more than only casting stress.

If I were to add similar variations to the other effects of Recovery (the faster out-of-combat healing, and the "endurance never restricts" parts) - would it still be a -2, or would it be a -3? Basically - is the "cures some but not all" enough of a trade off to cover two types of stress? The canon recovery powers works on all physical, no matter the source; this is relatively strongly limited on the physical side and somewhat limited on the mental side.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:04:05 PM by Cadd »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »
Taran, I think you missed the limitation clause on the types of consequences that can be affected when doing that costing.
You can't use this against a gunshot, sword-wound, etc.
I think that drops it solidly down to the -1 range.

Ah, yes...I did, indeed, miss that.  That's my A.D.D acting up.  :P

Sorry.

I'll just go with: "what they said."

Although, I like the idea of recovering a mild consequence more than just having extra stress boxes, as Sanctaphrax suggested.  Maybe it's just the feel of it...I don't know.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:12 PM »
If I were to add similar variations to the other effects of Recovery (the faster out-of-combat healing, and the "endurance never restricts" parts) - would it still be a -2, or would it be a -3? Basically - is the "cures some but not all" enough of a trade off to cover two types of stress? The canon recovery powers works on all physical, no matter the source; this is relatively strongly limited on the physical side and somewhat limited on the mental side.

I don't think I'd price it any higher than -2.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »
@Taran:
Haha, details like that has a nasty habit of hiding when I'm reading aswell!

And there is definitely a point to healing a consequence to be usable again, over having an extra consequence to take - an extra consequence also means an extra aspect your adversaries can exploit!

Btw - stray though: Do I get a free tag on consequences I inflict on myself? The creator of an aspect gets the tag, including when causing a consequence - but it feels a bit backward to get them "against" yourself... Though I suppose the limited situations you'll actually find the consequence useful is enough of a cost - if you can think up a way to benefit from it you can have one go for free...

@Tedronai:
Thanks again for the input - I'm really not good at judging how balanced homebrewed stuff is, so I always appreciate the help from people better at it than I am!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »
And there is definitely a point to healing a consequence to be usable again, over having an extra consequence to take - an extra consequence also means an extra aspect your adversaries can exploit!

I wouldn't worry about that. If they're invoking your consequences instead of their own aspects, they're giving you free fate points.

Btw - stray though: Do I get a free tag on consequences I inflict on myself?

You shouldn't. You might be able to justify getting tags with a legalistic reading of the rules, but it's not fair at all.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 10:17:54 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that. If they're invoking your consequences instead of their own aspects, they're giving you free fate points.
That's actually a really good point - somehow I completely blanked on the fact that any foes invoking them wouldn't have a free tag (despite my specific thinking about tags later in the post!) thus netting me FPs...

You shouldn't. You might be able to justify getting tags with a legalistic reading of the rules, but it's not fair at all.
Yeah, that was sort of my thinking aswell - I just realized that the RAW might actually technically give a tag to the player on self-inflicted stuff, but that really feels like it goes against the idea of tags and inflicting consequences on yourself.

Also - I realized I didn't thank you for your input, so in rectifying that: Thank you!

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »
Our group came up with the interpretation that self-inflicted consequences give your opponents a free tag.  This is not RAW, but could conceivably be RAI.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46:34 PM »

Not if they tag it.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 10:51:33 PM »
Not if they tag it.
No, but this was about consequences I inflict on myself (casting stress and backlash, mainly) - by RAW, my opponents wouldn't get a tag on them.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 05:05:32 AM »
If you're inflicting a consequence on yourself, you're obviously doing it for a reason. I'd say that that reason would use up the tag. I mean, you're effectively performing a supplemental manoeuvre on yourself with the drawback of giving your opponents an aspect they can invoke. That balances out the equation pretty nicely, in my opinion.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
I'd let you tag it for something like a Death Curse :D