Author Topic: Playing as a member of the Venatori Umbrorum  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Jarrik32

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Playing as a member of the Venatori Umbrorum
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »
I've recently purchased a copy of the Dresden Files RPG, I've decided to put together a pure mortal Venatori character. While I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going for I was wondering if anyone else had posted anything I could draw from.

In case anyone is interested here's what I have so far
Name: Madison Parker
High concept: Field agent for the Venatori
Trouble: Suicidal missions ARE my day job...
Aspects: That wasn't supposed to happen..., Cautious; maybe too cautious, It's not cheating it's winning, Terrorist! since when???

What does everyone think?

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as a member of the Venatori Umbrorum
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
Nice aspects.

And welcome to the board.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »
I'd suggest having an aspect or two that relates to your home life. Maybe something referencing a family or friends that can be used as compel bait later in the game. As it is your aspects are very one-dimensional (focused solely on your job). I imagine the Venatori Umbrorum as being a mixture of being a family deal (knowledge passed down through the generations) or a recruitment one where mortals who have recently been hurt by the supernatural world are recruited into them. Ivy could play a part here since she'd know the best people to recruit.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:31:12 AM »
I've recently purchased a copy of the Dresden Files RPG, I've decided to put together a pure mortal Venatori character. While I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going for I was wondering if anyone else had posted anything I could draw from.

In case anyone is interested here's what I have so far
Name: Madison Parker
High concept: Field agent for the Venatori
Trouble: Suicidal missions ARE my day job...
Aspects: That wasn't supposed to happen..., Cautious; maybe too cautious, It's not cheating it's winning, Terrorist! since when???

What does everyone think?
Wait a minute... how does this translate into a playable character? I mean suicide missions are supposed to... you know, kill the guy doing it. So this guys is an abject failure? Everytime he tries to kill himself, he fails?
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:06:57 AM »
So this guys is an abject failure? Everytime he tries to kill himself, he fails?
It's not cheating, it's winning!
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Jarrik32

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:20 PM »
Um toturi, I think your taking the high concept a tad too literally. I just wanted a way of dramatically announcing that the character is regularly required to go on very high risk missions. 'Dangerous job' just doesn't have the same ring to it. While she would be willing to face death for something that seemed important enough it's most certainly not a goal in and of itself. Plus it's a trouble that comes with an 'off' switch; in theory the character could end her trouble with a phone call requesting a transfer to a less hazardous job: then end up begging for her job back after a month of going stir crazy.

Here's the new aspects:
That wasn't supposed to happen... - Wether she is blessed by lady luck or cursed it is impossible to tell, either way events regularly spiral out of control when she is in the vicinity. The greater the stakes the greater the chaos.
Cautious; maybe too cautious - It is what it is.
It's not cheating it's winning - trying to follow set rules when fighting the supernatural is a great way to lose limbs. Therefore she has none.
Terrorist! Since when??? - The red court put the character on a terrorist watch list years ago; while the Venatori were able to remove her name there's bound to be someone who remembers.

Here's a couple of personal aspects.
On and off again boyfriend - It is what it is.
Distant and dysfunctional family - a little boring but I couldn't think of anything better.
Closet adrenaline junkie - This is the true reason for the characters actions, dress it up with duty, money, common decency whatever. There is nothing the like the thrill of betting your life on a dice roll knowing that the slightest mistake will end up with you being the latest monsters lunch (potentially literally)