Author Topic: Speed question  (Read 1511 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Speed question
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:49:31 AM »
Ok, so Mythic Speed says that you either get a +6 to sprinting or you can shelve that to say you can keep up with a moving vehicle. But that's true at even with Mediocre (+0) Athletics. Say you can get up to a +13 base sprint roll between Mythic Speed, your stats, and other powers. How fast do you say that is?
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Speed question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »
As fast as it has to be. ;)

I don't think that putting absolute numbers on things like that is going to help. Both the mediocre athlete and the +13 guy would be at the same speed as the moving vehicle, no matter if it's going 30 or 300 mph. The difference is, that the +13 guy will still have +7 for his athletics and can basically run circles around the other guy, while still keeping up with the vehicle. I find that using it like this is far more useful as a whole.

Or do you have a specific situation your question is attached to?
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:21:49 AM »
As fast as it has to be. ;)

I don't think that putting absolute numbers on things like that is going to help. Both the mediocre athlete and the +13 guy would be at the same speed as the moving vehicle, no matter if it's going 30 or 300 mph. The difference is, that the +13 guy will still have +7 for his athletics and can basically run circles around the other guy, while still keeping up with the vehicle. I find that using it like this is far more useful as a whole.

Or do you have a specific situation your question is attached to?

I'm just trying to see if the +13 guy can hit Mach speeds or not.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:34:29 AM »
Then I would say... maybe. But +13 athletics would not be what I would use to judge this. Having Mystic Speed is a good first step though.

Quote from: Mystic Speed
You’re like the wind itself. Hell, you may be the wind itself.

After that, the question is who are you? Are you the wind itself? Then you can certainly hit Mach speeds. Are you the Flash? Superman? Sonic the Hedgehog? Of course you can hit Mach speeds. If your character concept is more focused on short bursts of speed, like a super kung-fu monk (or a better example I can't think of right now), you'll probably want to have speed powers as well, but even with Mystic speed, you might not hit Mach speeds, because that's not who you are.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:53:22 AM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:48:08 AM »
Sprint skills don't translate directly into km/h speeds. Fate doesn't really do the rules-as-physics thing.

A mortal character with Epic sprinting will usually outrun a Mediocre Athlete with Mythic Speed. But they're not actually faster. They're far slower. Normally you can say something like "the wind god tripped because he's as clumsy as he is fast", and if that doesn't work you can fall back on Aspects.

"Runs at Mach 2" is a narrative statement, not a mechanical one. You can't translate it perfectly into game-related numbers.

So yeah, what Haru said.