Author Topic: Arting Harder at the Pen Monkey Toiling Pit (Celebrate Them Pages Pt III)  (Read 49101 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
112k - Admiral Invincible

113k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:25:17 PM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
114k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
115k - Admiral Invincible

118k - Admiral Invincible (end of book)

Decided to split the droid arc into two books.  so part one is at the end point.  A couple sneak peek and maybe more spalding chapters and that's a wrap for this.... although with the book being split either part one or part two will be able to keep the invincible title.  Not sure but I might change the name of teh first half

anyway have a blast people.

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:31:45 AM by The Deposed King »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
wake up everyone! I'm still in edits, but I've cranked out a couple shorts for a contest. Might even post them for fun to get your feedback. 200 words - exactly type contest.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Admiral Invincible needed some work.  Especially since its now going to be part one of two.  I think we're going to rename the book Admiral's Spine instead of Admiral Invincible.

Also just finished cranking out about 7 more chapters or 17.8k of new material since my last post here.

I think its going to be a great book and the plan is to get together with my brother one last time and then fire it off for sale on amazon, this week!

best of luck everyone, I know I haven't been very active here lately but when I start back in on the next book, which will probably be called admiral invincible too ahhaahahah I'll be back to regular updates.

But as for the rest of you, for shame!  letting this thread die down like this.  I'm sure there are other people than me out there cranking out new materail.

The Deposed King

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Well said DK. This place has been a valuable kick-in-the-butt and be-accountable-point, let alone all the great advice you guys hand out! I do use #amwriting on Twitter, but it isn't the same.

I've finally surfaced. The 2nd round of edits for Chaos Theory was sent off last night at 2:30AM. *yawning* There will be one more pass perhaps before it goes to copy editors.

I have 24 hours to finish up two pieces I have for a short story contest at WPA. They are written and polished, but I will review once more before sending off. 200 words exactly-- very specific rules to follow.

Then I'm back to revising Book II. At this point, I'm craving simple creative writing time, so I might start a short story idea (5000 or so) for an author's website Easter egg gift.

happy writing all

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Well, I've been working on a Novella for Battlecorps, a big risk, as it so universe-based, it can't be rewritten if it's rejected. But its time to stretch my writing muscles, and this story is the one to do it with. I'm aiming for something in the 32-35,000 words range. So far, I have 22,000 of it written. As I said, its a risk, but one worth taking.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: Arting Harder at the Pen Monkey Toiling Pit (Celebrate Them Pages Pt III)
« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
I just uploaded Admiral's Spine (was Admiral Invincible Part One) to amazon, so book 6 should be up and for purchase in less than 12 hours!

The Deposed King

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »
Congrats again, DK.

And good for you Trbo. For a stretching exercise, 35,000 doesn't seem like a waste of time at all. Especially if you're already 22,000 words in on rough draft. Let us know how it goes? What in particular are you finding challenging?

As for me, doing my best to simply read my rough draft for book 2. I'm tempted to duck tape my fingers to keep from revising. I've been away from it a month while working on Book 1 edits. The forced rest means a fresh view, if I don't get mired down trying to revise without seeing the whole picture.

Best writing all!

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Congrats again, DK.

And good for you Trbo. For a stretching exercise, 35,000 doesn't seem like a waste of time at all. Especially if you're already 22,000 words in on rough draft. Let us know how it goes? What in particular are you finding challenging?

As for me, doing my best to simply read my rough draft for book 2. I'm tempted to duck tape my fingers to keep from revising. I've been away from it a month while working on Book 1 edits. The forced rest means a fresh view, if I don't get mired down trying to revise without seeing the whole picture.

Best writing all!

You can do it Meg!  Stay focused and bear down!  Bear down!  You'll have the book done and pushed out in no time.

The Deposed King

Offline moon

• Posty McPostington
  • Dr awesome aka neuro THANK YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2014, 12:41:34 AM »
just woke up with a new idea for a story
i have not written in months due to crazyness

but brain 1am is not the bext time to give me ideas?
now i just need someone to pok me in to actually writing the idea down and not just role playing it in my room as the people here think i am mad alreadyand talking to imaginary people does not help lol
may you live in interesting times

My Guide Dog Layla is pawsome
@blindseyeview for pictures ect

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
Finally started writing again. didn't get much done yesterday but it's a start.

Had a long slump in my daily writing routine. And did some rewriting on my synopisis this past weekend.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2014, 10:51:39 PM »
Well, one of my shorts is in "the next level of selection" for a magazine.  They're semi-pro by SFWA's new standards, but that doesn't make much never-mind to me.  Another story tied for 2nd place in Pittsburgh's Sci-Fi group's annual competition.  Better than I'd dared hope, because the contest had a specific theme, and my story barely acknowledged that theme.  More like it walked in, tipped it's hat at the theme with two lines, and then toddled off to be about it's business. 

Chugging along on The Big Damn Edit for the novel still... Had to go back to page one and dampen my protagonists's dialect down somewhat, but now I'm rolling along, maybe 80% finished with this run.  Finally getting new material into the hands of my Reader Monkeys, which will naturally lead to more editing, but that will hopefully be the odd tweak or tickle.

Be nice when I get this finished and can open new playgrounds... writing's way more fun than editing.  ;)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2014, 02:14:18 AM »
Thanks DK, but my fresh look was cut short when the 2nd round of edits came in. So back in editing mode. Take a look at my new thread? Could use some of your insight.

just woke up with a new idea for a story ... now i just need someone to pok me
Consider yourself poked! And something is wrong talking to imaginary people? Since when? Is that why they stare at me at Starbucks?

Finally started writing again. didn't get much done yesterday but it's a start. /Ulfgeir
Yeah! Ulfgeir! Doing a single writer's stadium wave from kitchen table. Best luck on sticking to it.
Well, one of my shorts is in "the next level of selection" for a magazine.  They're semi-pro by SFWA's new standards, but that doesn't make much never-mind to me.  Another story tied for 2nd place in Pittsburgh's Sci-Fi group's annual competition.  Better than I'd dared hope, because the contest had a specific theme, and my story barely acknowledged that theme.  More like it walked in, tipped it's hat at the theme with two lines, and then toddled off to be about it's business. 

Chugging along on The Big Damn Edit for the novel still... Had to go back to page one and dampen my protagonists's dialect down somewhat, but now I'm rolling along, maybe 80% finished with this run.  Finally getting new material into the hands of my Reader Monkeys, which will naturally lead to more editing, but that will hopefully be the odd tweak or tickle.

Be nice when I get this finished and can open new playgrounds... writing's way more fun than editing.  ;)

Ain't that the truth, but I do enjoy editing too. I wish I could figure out how to do both--something new while editing something old. I either 1. don't have time or 2. I'm too inflexible...  It's good to have you post again, my friend! And how great to get second on your nod to the theme! Very exciting. I've a goal of getting into SFWA someday, but I've not proven to be a short story person or a dedicated regular submission-type person. We'll see. Someday...

Offline moon

• Posty McPostington
  • Dr awesome aka neuro THANK YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
i started to err write again.... so far I have half a chapter....
may you live in interesting times

My Guide Dog Layla is pawsome
@blindseyeview for pictures ect