Author Topic: Stats For Gods  (Read 19031 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Stats For Gods
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »
Because Sanctaphrax said we could resurrect:

Quote from: vulture
Sponsor debt is basically free (or, at least, fairly trivial) for Mab, so, yeah, she can do a 10 zone control 20 power 20 attack spell, or something ridiculous like that, if she really needs to. How many times is she going to have to fight the whole White Council anyway?

In regards to worshippers/beleivers, I think that's how big entities use sponsored debt.  They trade favours garnered from worshippers/beleivers to power their debt, pay off compels and what-not.

It might be neat to have a mechanic/power to represent that.  But it shouldn't be too powerful in regards to compels because these entities should act within their nature instead of always being able to pay off compels....but super-charging spells?  I think that would be useful.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2015, 05:03:40 PM »
This thread got revived as a result of an attempt to stat Manannan Mac Lir, an Irish Sea God.  Feel free to have a look.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,44180.0.html

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2015, 03:44:22 AM »
A couple of links that I expect to want later, if I decide to finish this:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,37922.msg2072693.html#msg2072693
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,41132.0.html

In regards to worshippers/beleivers, I think that's how big entities use sponsored debt.  They trade favours garnered from worshippers/beleivers to power their debt, pay off compels and what-not.

It might be neat to have a mechanic/power to represent that.  But it shouldn't be too powerful in regards to compels because these entities should act within their nature instead of always being able to pay off compels....but super-charging spells?  I think that would be useful.

Maybe gods could have a -X Power called Worshippers. It'd represent people making sacrifices and giving power to you, and it'd give you X points of free Sponsor Debt each session.

Spending X Refresh to essentially get X Refresh is a bit odd, I admit. But it seems to cover the basic effects of worship pretty well.

On second thought, it could be a Contacts stunt that you can take multiple times. That way pure mortals could draw power from worshippers...

On third thought, that's kinda weird. Probably better to make it a Power.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
You could make it like a super boosted refinement but with some kind of draw-back because, you're right, it seems weird to pay refresh to be able to pay off compels. If it has a side benefit, then it's worth the refresh. 

Or maybe it provides benefits to powers(supercharging them) for some of the god-only powers.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
Two thoughts.

1.  You could have the cost for the power be less than the benefit since it is restricted just for sponsorship.  The catch being only one sponsee.

[-1] Minor Sponsor (You must take this power again for each person you sponsor)
Power Broker - You may make a pact with a person to lend power when it is needed.  The strings attached to this pact are up to you.
Credit Limit - You may offer up to two fate points to another through a pact.  You own the compel attached to each fate point given and must use it to the purpose of the agreed upon strings of the pact.  A person may not owe you more compels than their credit limit.  Once a person's credit limit is reached, a compel must be paid before more debt can be accrued.
Breaking Pacts - At any time, you may choose to break this pact.  All remaining debt must be collected at that time.  Once the debt is discharged, this power may be removed and the refresh spent to buy it refunded.

This could be tiered like the building block powers, but it's a little unwieldy that way.

[-2] Major Sponsor
Credit Limit - 4

[-4] Godly Sponsor
Credit limit - 8

[-6] Supreme Sponsor
Credit Limit -12

2.  A less unwieldy option for multiple sponsees, you could have the cost be the same, but have an unlimited number of sponsees with the limit the same for each.

[-1] Minor Sponsor
Power Broker - You may make a pact with any number of people to lend power when it is needed.  The strings attached to this pact are up to you.  The credit limit for each person is the same.
Credit Limit - You may offer up to one fate points to another through a pact.  You own the compel attached to each fate point given and must use it to the purpose of the agreed upon strings of the pact.  A person may not owe you more compels than their credit limit.  Once a person's credit limit is reached, a compel must be paid before more debt can be accrued.

[-2] Major Sponsor
Credit Limit - 2

[-4] Godly Sponsor
Credit limit - 4

[-6] Supreme Sponsor
Credit Limit - 6

EDIT: You might also give option 2 a surcharge like Modular Abilities if you feel the need.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:45:47 PM by Theogony_IX »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2015, 12:32:01 AM »
I think Divine Domain already covers that sort of thing reasonably well.

You could make it like a super boosted refinement but with some kind of draw-back because, you're right, it seems weird to pay refresh to be able to pay off compels. If it has a side benefit, then it's worth the refresh. 

Or maybe it provides benefits to powers(supercharging them) for some of the god-only powers.

Well, technically you're not paying Refresh to be able to pay off Compels. You're paying Refresh to avoid receiving Compels in the first place.

I dunno, it'd have to be an amazingly minor benefit or it'd be just better than leaving Refresh unspent.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
Oh, my mistake.  I misunderstood the idea.

What about using a power or stunt that adds consequence boxes specific to this purpose.  Worship boxes.  A mild could be taken to avoid your next compel.  A moderate could be taken to avoid your next two compels.  Or rather than use them to avoid compels, they could be used to power spells or effects instead, as Taran was talking about.  I imagine they would be governed by the same consequence rules as the others.  The number of consequence slots you have, the level of them, and any kind of recovery power attached to them would depend on how many worshipers you have and how strongly they believe.

Just an idea.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2015, 05:22:20 AM »
That's a pretty interesting idea.

You can probably get two or three uses out of a Compel-replacing mild consequence each session. So maybe 2 Refresh for each worship mild?

Worship Recovery and bigger worship consequences would be dicey though. The bigger consequences might actually be weaker than milds since you can't use them as often, but Recovery completely changes the math.