Author Topic: Modular Abilites and Catch  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Tempestaire

• Participant
    • View Profile
Modular Abilites and Catch
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:49:16 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the game and I'd like to know if it is possible to apply a Catch to the Modular Abilities power, given that this power can be used to gain Toughness and Recovery powers.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Abilites and Catch
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:52:54 PM »
Yes. If you take a Toughness/Recovery power you have to take a Catch as well, even if it's through Modular Abilities.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Tempestaire

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the answer!
Would the refresh discount be limited by the number of form points that can be dedicated to Toughness powers or by the refresh cost of the Modular Abilities power?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:52:06 AM »
Thanks for the answer!
Would the refresh discount be limited by the number of form points that can be dedicated to Toughness powers or by the refresh cost of the Modular Abilities power?

Not sure I understand the question but A toughness power has to always cost 1 refresh.

So, if you have 2 points to assign in modular abilities, and you take inhuman toughness, with a catch of +3, toughness is still going to cost 1 refresh - despite the rebate.  But it means you might as well take supernatural toughness instead (or an inhuman toughness recovery combo)

So  your character might look like this:
-6 modular abilities (-2 base)
    -4 form points

Bear form:
-4 Supernatural toughness
+3 catch: Weapon 3 weapons or higher.
-2 inhuman strength
-1 Echoes of the beast

Edit:  you should be careful about taking multiple catches.  Check with your GM.  Being able to switch forms and catches might be too powerful since you could switch forms if someone finds your catch mid-combat.   Generally, you take a universal catch, I think.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:54:35 AM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:27:23 AM »
You might want to check out the note at the bottom of page 185 of Your Story.

Offline Tempestaire

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »
Not sure I understand the question but A toughness power has to always cost 1 refresh.

So, if you have 2 points to assign in modular abilities, and you take inhuman toughness, with a catch of +3, toughness is still going to cost 1 refresh - despite the rebate.  But it means you might as well take supernatural toughness instead (or an inhuman toughness recovery combo)

So  your character might look like this:
-6 modular abilities (-2 base)
    -4 form points

Bear form:
-4 Supernatural toughness
+3 catch: Weapon 3 weapons or higher.
-2 inhuman strength
-1 Echoes of the beast

Edit:  you should be careful about taking multiple catches.  Check with your GM.  Being able to switch forms and catches might be too powerful since you could switch forms if someone finds your catch mid-combat.   Generally, you take a universal catch, I think.
Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 02:26:33 AM »
In general, the capacity to switch catches in any way should drastically reduce the rebate of the catches, up to the point of possibly being worth +0 due to being practically unresearchable.
I might allow "full rebate" if they are very similar or very obvious. Usually I'd keep the catch the same to make it a part of the personality. Adept shapeshifters are also a type of character who I could allow to simply not have a catch.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
That's a good point. Even shapeshifters like the Naagloshii have the same weakness through all their forms so I'd suggest keeping the number of different Catches down to one or two.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
I'd allow stacked catches, maybe.  Like, have a common catch (like silver weapons) but allow physical immunity fire for a fire elemental, then physical immunity water when you change into a water elemental.

No matter what, though, silver is going to hurt.