Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259935 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #795 on: June 12, 2017, 09:14:22 PM »
Sister actresses seems rare, even for twins.  I'd settle for that, but I still think having A&M played by the same actress would be the best bet, considering how different they appear.  Then you could cast a sister for Sarissa down the line.
A&M would work better in a purely storytelling way, since she is wearing a different face at first and only slips back to the near-identical face once Harry guess her real ID.  But then you've painted yourself into a corner with Sarissa, because Sarissa needs to look /more/ like Maeve than the Cousin Aurora does, but not so much that you'd guess at the opening of CD. 

If it were me, I'd file this under elements that just dont translate well from Book to Screen, along with MC's that have close to 18" of height difference.  Since the physical similarities between Aurora and Maeve are not particularly plot relevant but would require casting two Aurora's at minimum, and limit the SK reveal bit with aurora to her shifting her eyes to the same Green Cat-eyes to match Maeve (which was the actual detail Harry seized on).  IMO that would preserve the important elements while simplifying the casting challenge, especially when you consider that Aurora might potentially be cast a full decade before Sarissa, who ultimately is going to be the more critical casting challenge.

Also, another reason why (for the screen) Id want different actresses for the Ladies is to better contrast the similarities of Mab and Titania who I DO want to be the same actress.  They are supposed to look so similar they are like Clones rather than just twins:

Quote from: CD Ch. 30
Oh, and if I hadn’t known better, I would have sworn to you that it was Mab standing there. Seriously. They didn’t look like sisters. They looked like clones.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
A&M would work better in a purely storytelling way, since she is wearing a different face at first and only slips back to the near-identical face once Harry guess her real ID.  But then you've painted yourself into a corner with Sarissa, because Sarissa needs to look /more/ like Maeve than the Cousin Aurora does, but not so much that you'd guess at the opening of CD. 

If it were me, I'd file this under elements that just dont translate well from Book to Screen, along with MC's that have close to 18" of height difference.  Since the physical similarities between Aurora and Maeve are not particularly plot relevant but would require casting two Aurora's at minimum, and limit the SK reveal bit with aurora to her shifting her eyes to the same Green Cat-eyes to match Maeve (which was the actual detail Harry seized on).  IMO that would preserve the important elements while simplifying the casting challenge, especially when you consider that Aurora might potentially be cast a full decade before Sarissa, who ultimately is going to be the more critical casting challenge.

Also, another reason why (for the screen) Id want different actresses for the Ladies is to better contrast the similarities of Mab and Titania who I DO want to be the same actress.  They are supposed to look so similar they are like Clones rather than just twins:
It'd also depend on the level of CGi enhancement used on the Sidhe.  If their "natural" state were shiny due CGI, then using the same actress without shiny for Sarissa might be doable. 

CGI example, both from 2011

But the viewer would likely recognize her in her normal appearance, so you still lose the surprise factor. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 12, 2017, 10:44:10 PM »
Yes. IMHO, Aurora and Maeve should be the same. Elle Fanning, for instance. Sarissa should be another person, quite look alike and brunette. Perhaps even someone like Chloe Moretz-
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Zohak

• Participant
    • View Profile

Offline OnlyBerry

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
Not sure if this still would work (the movie is almost 20 years old by now), but everytime I read about Mab I had the image of Queen Mab from the 1998 Movie "Merlin" (the one with Sam Neill) in mind  :)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 03, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »
Not sure if this still would work (the movie is almost 20 years old by now), but everytime I read about Mab I had the image of Queen Mab from the 1998 Movie "Merlin" (the one with Sam Neill) in mind  :)
Not to worry, there are tons of those around here.  SmF and forward, Sanya will always be (the Late, Great) Michael Duncan Clark to me.   And Im convinced that when people say Nathan Fillion would make a good Harry, they really mean that a Firefly Vintage Fillion would work, rather than the current Post-Castle guy. 

Hey, help me out here: On that Merlin show, I was absolutely convinced that the villainess was Maeve rather than Mab.  I recall this distinctly, because it was the first time Id heard the name Maeve and it took me a but to figure out what he was actually saying.  But everything Im seeing online has her listed as Mab.  Anyone have a recollection?  I might have to dig it out of my old movie collection. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 03, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »
You know, Q, I just checked IMDB and there is no Mab or Maeve listed as a character in Merlin (1998).

Odd, because I remember her as well.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 03, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »
I googled her (because I have not seen the movie) and it's Miranda Richardson, which is a good choice. I like her better in Snow White, actually.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 03, 2017, 07:34:10 PM »
You know, Q, I just checked IMDB and there is no Mab or Maeve listed as a character in Merlin (1998).

Odd, because I remember her as well.
IMDB has her listed weirdly because she played two roles and the second gets abbreviated to "/..." She played both the evil queen (mab on wikipedia, Maeve in ma' brain) and also her twin sister the Lady of the Lake. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 15, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »
Ok have said this a couple of times on the board but thought I'd put it in the proper thread.

Laura Vandervoort as Murphy

Stephen Lang as Vadderung

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 15, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »
Vanervoort could work, I was impressed with her performance in the early Bitten seasons.  I dont /dislike/ Stephen Lang, and he'd make a fine Norse God in most circumstances, but he's a little too innately...harsh? for how Vadderung actually behaves in his scenes. 

Vadderung:

Kringle:
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 19, 2017, 05:52:12 AM »
Of course the Mormonts Game of Thrones.

I dunno Stephen Lang in Terra Nova is quite light hearted.

And yes I enjoyed Vandervoorts performance in the early seasons of Bitten.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 19, 2017, 06:08:46 AM »
Vandervoort is too pretty for Murph.

Can we have Lyanna Mormont as Ivy?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 20, 2017, 12:41:41 AM »
5'3" Rooney Mara as Murphy might not be bad.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 20, 2017, 12:49:59 AM »
Ah, that is a choice I approve.
Missing you, Md