Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259880 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #360 on: September 03, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
She's too old for the part, but her voice and mannerisms are perfect, so if they ever do an animated Dresden Files, I want Susan Sullivan (Rick Castle's mother) to voice Lea.
Hmm, I could get behind that.  Id want to hear her trying for batshit crazy at least once first, but I'd be surprised if she couldnt pull it off.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 04, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »
mid_life_crisis,

I never envisioned Lea as a young person, or even one in her middle ages. To me, Susan Sullivan would easily fit the part.

I envision her as a really healthy looking forty five year old.  Not sure why, I just have.  It might be the muse thing.  I always picture them as attractive and that is an age that young and old men can both relate to.
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."
Sweat is fat cells crying.  - T-shirt wisdom

Offline Gigglestomp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 04, 2014, 07:11:31 PM »
I dunno, you can go older but I wouldn't go /too/ old. The High Sidhe, especially Lea and Mab, are supposed to be rediculously beautiful.

They need to be in their 20s or 30s to look older than the Ladies, but they need to still look pretty "fresh" as Bob would put it.

I would choose someone that looks like this, but maybe do her hair platinum white like snow.

Annalynne Mccord

Taylor Momsen

Offline Gigglestomp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 04, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »

I really like Kristen Bell for Aurora instead of Murphy actually.

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #364 on: September 04, 2014, 07:34:44 PM »
(spoilertagged your images to keep this post more readable)
I dunno, you can go older but I wouldn't go /too/ old. The High Sidhe, especially Lea and Mab, are supposed to be rediculously beautiful.

They need to be in their 20s or 30s to look older than the Ladies, but they need to still look pretty "fresh" as Bob would put it.

I would choose someone that looks like this, but maybe do her hair platinum white like snow.

Annalynne Mccord
(click to show/hide)

Taylor Momsen
(click to show/hide)

Hmm, I feel you first one's a bit too pouty for a Sidhe. But I'd go for her as a vamp any day.

As for the second, put her in Winter for sure, judging by that photo.

But judging by this one, she'd make a good Molly, too.
(click to show/hide)

Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 04, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »
There are plenty of seriously beautiful actresses in their mid forties.  Mab's handmaiden shouldn't look like a child, at least not to me.
I'm probably getting her hair color wrong, but I always see Lea as a redhead wearing a forest green dress.  Is that correct?
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 04, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
There are plenty of seriously beautiful actresses in their mid forties.  Mab's handmaiden shouldn't look like a child, at least not to me.
I'm probably getting her hair color wrong, but I always see Lea as a redhead wearing a forest green dress.  Is that correct?
Red Hair, yes, though Im not sure the green dress has always been consistent.  Green Eyes though. 

For Lea I tend to picture Melinda Clarke showing a vintage age similar to her appearance in Firefly
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 04, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »
I think Mab and Lea have to be cast in their thirties, simply because of the length of filming and the need to remain youthful.  even at two books per season/year, it'll take 12 years to tell the story.

Maeve and Aurora were supposed to look barely legal, but that can be fudged.

I've actually wanted one person to play Maeve, Aurora, and Sarissa, and let costumes, acting skill, and makeup turn them into different people.  see Tatiana Maslani in orphan black for how that could be done.

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #368 on: September 05, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »
Red Hair, yes, though Im not sure the green dress has always been consistent.  Green Eyes though. 

For Lea I tend to picture Melinda Clarke showing a vintage age similar to her appearance in Firefly
(click to show/hide)

Nice one! Depending when the movies would actually get made, I'm for Christina Hendricks. Give her a few years to mature, still. :)
(click to show/hide)
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2014, 12:56:30 PM »
Nice one! Depending when the movies would actually get made, I'm for Christina Hendricks. Give her a few years to mature, still. :)
(click to show/hide)
Hmmm...  I could really see that too.  The catch is I paradoxically see a younger Lea when in her post-PG Crazy, but an older more matriarchal Lea in the first appearances, when she was still the ancient and dreaded Godmother.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2014, 06:04:39 PM »
     I think folks are getting hung up on the idea that the entire book series must be done, rather than a few of the books. Even if there were plans to do the whole series, the fae characters do not have to be portrayed by the same actor or actress, given that they can put on a glamour. Even the human characters can be played by others, possibly by similar looking people. Compare the JJ Abrams version of Star Trek cast members with those in the original series.

If the books are done as sets, a set of actors and actresses can be cast separately for each set. This would provide some continuity between books that are chronologically close together without requiring a lifetime contract for any of the cast members. On the other hand, there are shows like Gunsmoke that enjoyed a 20-year run with essentially the same people cast as the show's main characters.

On the subject of an actor's or actress' real age and how it relates to the characters that they play, think of the 25 to 30-years-olds who play high school and college age characters.

??? :-X ???
I can't think of a modern show that had recast more than one of its main cast members.  occasionally you see one based on necessity or irreconcilable work relations. going in to our with that plan sounds chaotic.

the only franchise at all that had done that is James Bond. others have tried (Jack Ryan), and met with middling success.

Fans like to connect to actors in roles. Who plan on losing that connection from the get go?

As for the series, what book would you cut out, knowing that every one has developments for the overall plot?

The latest on the real attempt to bring it to television has a focus on subscription channels like HBO or Showtime. Specifically, JB mentioned it as a replacement to True Blood, which is ending this year.

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 05, 2014, 06:46:32 PM »
I can't think of a modern show that had recast more than one of its main cast members.  occasionally you see one based on necessity or irreconcilable work relations. going in to our with that plan sounds chaotic.

the only franchise at all that had done that is James Bond. others have tried (Jack Ryan), and met with middling success.

Fans like to connect to actors in roles. Who plan on losing that connection from the get go?

As for the series, what book would you cut out, knowing that every one has developments for the overall plot?

The latest on the real attempt to bring it to television has a focus on subscription channels like HBO or Showtime. Specifically, JB mentioned it as a replacement to True Blood, which is ending this year.
So we'd get to see Maggie's conception?

Offline Gigglestomp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
Unless they specifically choose to look otherwise with a glamor, I believe all the Sidhe have snow white hair (Both courts).

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »
Unless they specifically choose to look otherwise with a glamor, I believe all the Sidhe have snow white hair (Both courts).

Not Lea. Maybe she's the exception, but Harry always describes her as having flame red hair. Actually, there are other Sidhe who don't have white hair. I think it's just the Queens who do. [Job is too stressful ;)]
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
One thing I ask, if they try to cast the Dresden Files as a live action production, is that they at least try to get the heights right. Harry has to be tall, at least an inch or four over 6 feet, and Thomas has to be shorter, but not short. There should be a noticeable height difference between them.

I know that might prove to be very hard to do, but it would make the series more consistent with the books if they do.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."