Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259875 times)

Offline EyeballKid

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »
I actually like the idea of Galecki for Butters quite a bit. He's likable, dorky, and has great comedic timing. By the later books, he'd have a chance to showcase a lot more dramatic acting, too, so he'd have some range to worth with.

Billy the Werewolf, and all other werewolves in his group, are young when they first show up in the series. If any type of adaptation goes forward, they should certainly be cast with actors no older than early 20's.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »
Billy the Werewolf, and all other werewolves in his group, are young when they first show up in the series. If any type of adaptation goes forward, they should certainly be cast with actors no older than early 20's.
Well, hollywood has a long habit of casting 30+ year old actors as high school kids, so I wouldnt take that alone as definitive.  I agree they should be cast young, but part of that is so that they can more visibly mature over the course of the series.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline rudobrody

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
I have a hard time seeing Jack Black as Will mostly because I just can't see Jack Black fitting with Will's personality and character, but also because he's too old.  Jack Black is just too much of a goof off (most of his movies that I can think of) or even a bit shady and amoral (thinking of his character in King Kong).  I'm sure there's a much better choice for Will out there

Plus, given his fascination with polka, I'd assume Butters is of German descent.

Actually, fun music fact here, polka music is Czech by origin.

Offline Seriphina

• Posty McPostington
  • Mouse in the House
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »
Keven Zegers would make a good Will.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2014, 12:02:30 AM »
I just googled it. I think it's a good choice.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
Keven Zegers would make a good Will.
I could see that. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mythcantor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »
(Googles him)

This guy?

(click to show/hide)

He seems to young and fit to me. Butters always seemed a bit more scrawny and maybe a bit more middle aged to me.
“Hope is a force of nature. Don't let anyone tell you different.”
― Jim Butcher, Changes

“But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.”
― Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn: The Final Empire

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
(Googles him)

This guy?

(click to show/hide)

He seems to young and fit to me. Butters always seemed a bit more scrawny and maybe a bit more middle aged to me.
For Will Borden, not for Butters
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
(Googles him)

This guy?

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, he's kind of young and pretty to play Butters. He's just now 30.  Also, I hate to harp on the height thing, but he's 5'10".  JB is specific about Butters height - I could give a couple inches leeway, but not 7" (and therefore average height).

I still really like Johnny Galecki for Butters, but if not him then maybe David Krumholtz?

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »

Hmmm...maybe for Will.  Still kinda tall though.  I feel like Will (and all the Alphas) should be some young, unknown actors that can grow into/with the roles.

Offline Mythcantor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »

Yikes. I blame the tired. It's apparently going around.
“Hope is a force of nature. Don't let anyone tell you different.”
― Jim Butcher, Changes

“But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.”
― Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn: The Final Empire

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
Its the second time I've done it in this threat, this week.  Sorry :-/

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
Yeah, he's kind of young and pretty to play Butters. He's just now 30.  Also, I hate to harp on the height thing, but he's 5'10".  JB is specific about Butters height - I could give a couple inches leeway, but not 7" (and therefore average height).
They are almost certainly going to have to shrink down the dramatic height differences in the story, if only for the practical considerations of having to frame a shot with all these people for conversations. 
I still really like Johnny Galecki for Butters, but if not him then maybe David Krumholtz?

I like it.  Galecki has the personality, but his bone structure is a little more round-faced than I picture Butters.  Krumholtz is just as good for personality, a bit more stereotypically jewish which is a plus I suppose, and more along the lines of the lanky build I imagine
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
They are almost certainly going to have to shrink down the dramatic height differences in the story, if only for the practical considerations of having to frame a shot with all these people for conversations.  I like it.  Galecki has the personality, but his bone structure is a little more round-faced than I picture Butters.  Krumholtz is just as good for personality, a bit more stereotypically jewish which is a plus I suppose, and more along the lines of the lanky build I imagine

Yeah, I understand about the height differences and it not being realistic. I certainly don't expect a 6'8 or 9" actor to play Harry nor a 5'1" actress to play Murphy. But I feel like the proportion and "look" should be there for characters JB has specifically given height info for. So, like, you shouldn't have a 6' Harry and a 5'10" Murphy. And some people *look* shorter or taller than they actually are. For example, in another group someone suggested Katheryn Winnick for Murphy. I love her, but not for Murphy. She's only 5'6", which should work, but to me she *appears* too tall to be tiny but fierce (I would also argue she is too gorgeous/hot to be cute-as-a-button, but that's a different conversation.)

So, someone 5'10" *could* play Will if he looked stocky and was paired with a willowy (not necessarily taller) Georgia

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

Mr. Universe for Butters?! Yesplz!
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC