Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259878 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
Yeah, I see him as skinny, and short.  But I see his face as "roundish"--maybe a little "jowly", but not in any kind of "obese" sense--picture a face shaped like Richard Nixon, but with a much narrower (non-ski slope) nose, less "scowly", more amiable expressions, hair comparable to Don King's but more black than gray and with a more receded hairline, and glasses.  That's Butters to me.  Paul Giamatti is the real-life actor that comes closest, as I said, be he still doesn't get it.  Not in the same sense as, say, I see Jack Black as perfect for Will Borden (have never pictured anyone else for the role).
Seriously, Jack Black?  He'd have to really hit the gym to fit my image of Will Borden, and I think even with Hollywood Age he would be too old for the early Billy era. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
Seriously, Jack Black?  He'd have to really hit the gym to fit my image of Will Borden, and I think even with Hollywood Age he would be too old for the early Billy era.

Jack White maybe?

James Black?

Jack's Black (label)?

Jack in Black Skellington?

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
Full. Of. Win.
Jack White maybe?

James Black?

Jack's Black (label)?

Jack in Black Skellington?

Offline Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2014, 07:16:56 PM »

Maybe is a matter of perspective.  I'm 60.  Jack Black looks young to me.  In "School of Rock" he looked young enough to be Will Borden per my visualization.  Don't think that was all that long ago.  I realize he might not look so young to people who are young themselves.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
Maybe is a matter of perspective.  I'm 60.  Jack Black looks young to me.  In "School of Rock" he looked young enough to be Will Borden per my visualization.  Don't think that was all that long ago.  I realize he might not look so young to people who are young themselves.

Jack Black is 44 and School of Rock came out in 2003. He would have been 32-33 in that movie. Fool Moon came out in, what...2001? And Will was 19 or so at that time. Also, Will is pretty fit from all the werewolfing and I've never heard anyone refer to Jack Black as fit.

I can't remember JB's description, but for me Jack Black is good for Mortimer. For Will...that's a tough one. I'd say Johnny Galecki, but he's my Butters and he is too old now.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2014, 07:49:55 PM »
Galecki is younger than Butters in SG. I think with some characterization he could play a good young Butters. Just an option, though.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
Jack Black is 44 and School of Rock came out in 2003. He would have been 32-33 in that movie. Fool Moon came out in, what...2001? And Will was 19 or so at that time. Also, Will is pretty fit from all the werewolfing and I've never heard anyone refer to Jack Black as fit.

I can't remember JB's description, but for me Jack Black is good for Mortimer. For Will...that's a tough one. I'd say Johnny Galecki, but he's my Butters and he is too old now.

Hollywood makeup artists take really old, decrepit, creaky people and make them look young all the time.  Same applies with 'fit'.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2014, 08:32:34 PM »
Galecki is younger than Butters in SG. I think with some characterization he could play a good young Butters. Just an option, though.

I never thought of Galeki for Butters.  He'd be a good fit.  I'm still Team Masi Oka, but I'll take him as a servicable second ;)

Billy, I think, is someone who would be cast young & fit from the beginning, and the transformation that you see is the bad faux-goth to responsible adult.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »
I never thought of Galeki for Butters.  He'd be a good fit.  I'm still Team Masi Oka, but I'll take him as a servicable second ;)

Billy, I think, is someone who would be cast young & fit from the beginning, and the transformation that you see is the bad faux-goth to responsible adult.

Agreed about Billy.  Masi Oka - like him a lot and I'd get on-board with him as Butters if the fact that Butters is Jewish wasn't about to (probably) become a Big Deal.

But, sorry Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad...I'm never going to buy Jack Black as Butters.  :-( Agree to disagree?

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »
Agreed about Billy.  Masi Oka - like him a lot and I'd get on-board with him as Butters if the fact that Butters is Jewish wasn't about to (probably) become a Big Deal.

Oka plays a Jewish ME named Max Bergman on Hawaii 5-0.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »
Oka plays a Jewish ME named Max Bergman on Hawaii 5-0.

Interesting...although that makes me want to see him in the role of Butters LESS.  I don't want to just see an actor play the same character over and over.

Plus, given his fascination with polka, I'd assume Butters is of German descent.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »

But, sorry Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad...I'm never going to buy Jack Black as Butters.  :-( Agree to disagree?

What we have here is a failure to communicate.   ;)  I have always visualized Jack Black as Will Borden, not Butters.  My pick for Butters (I'm the first to acknowledge it's not perfect) is Paul Giamatti.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:05:23 PM by Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »
Plus, given his fascination with polka, I'd assume Butters is of German descent.

C'mon!  Others besides Germans have atrocious musical tastes!  Otherwise we wouldn't have been afflicted with Pat Boone, Tammy Wynette, the Osmonds, Justin Bieber etc...  ;)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2014, 09:11:11 PM »
I could buy Jack Black as butters far easier than Will Borden.  He's not how I picture butters personally (I see as very very skinny nerd) but would not otherwise go against the character;  Galeki is an interesting choice for the same reasons, but is better more proven at the timid nerd coming out of his shell bit.  I could actually see Galeki as a pretty good Billy Borden if he was cast to fit the FM version and then were to grow into the more physically formidable Will as the series progressed. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
What we have here is a failure to communicate.   ;)  I have always visualized Jack Black as Will Borden, not Butters.  My pick for Butters (I'm the first to acknowledge it's not perfect) is Paul Giamatti.

Sorry, I did mean Will Borden