Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259879 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »
I'm always surprised how old people go when casting for Marcone.  I know he's supposed to be old enough to run a criminal organization, but he's around the same age as the Beckitts. 

(click to show/hide)

That's why I'd cast him younger, with someone like Adrian Pasdar.  He can do cold, shark-like, or a disarming smile.  He's fit enough to be the active Marcone, but has a weight to him that makes you feel like he has authority.  He played football when he was younger, so he even falls into the "Marcone looks like a football coach" description.
Gentleman Johnny Marcone didn’t look like the sort of man who would have my legs broken or my jaw wired shut. His salt-and-pepper hair was cut short, and there were lines from sun and smiling etched into the corners of his eyes. His eyes were the green of well-worn dollar bills. He seemed more like a college football coach: good-looking, tanned, athletic, and enthusiastic.

You team him up with John Cena as Hendricks, and you've got yourself some mobsters.
Hendricks was still huge, still redheaded, still looked vaguely like a defensive lineman a little too awkward to make it from college to pro ball.

And as for Miss Gard, January Jones
Cujo Hendricks had a date. He had a blond date. He had a gorgeous, leggy, blue-eyed, elegant, tall, Nordic angel of a date. She was wearing a white gown, and silver flashed at her throat, on each wrist, and on one ankle. I’d seen bikinis in issues of Sports Illustrated that might have felt too plain to be worn by Hendricks’s date.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2014, 11:23:15 PM »
I'm not sure Cena would take a part to play such a chatterbox like Hendrix.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2014, 11:27:12 PM »
I agree about the age, but not about Pasdar because he did make me thing he would order his men to rip my limbs off.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2014, 05:11:15 AM »
For the dialoge bit sure, he right up there with De Niro.  But I cant see This man doing the action sequences Marcone needs to be capable of.

Well, I admit your photo is a lot older looking that the last time I saw him ("Independence Day"), which is how I picture him as Marcone.  But hell, he probably was that old when he did ID.  A lot of celebrities sans makeup look like crap.  As for the action sequences, I don't think but maybe a handful of the world's greatest martial artists could actually pull off the knife-trick from FM.  That's what CG is for.  It's why we didn't see decent movies of Marvel Superheroes until there was CG.
[/quote]
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
sorry Loggia does not evoke a " Predator", feel. physically, appearance wise, nor otherwise. Jim Caviezel, when I see him doing POI I can totally get a Marcone feel from him.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline rudobrody

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
Well, I admit your photo is a lot older looking that the last time I saw him ("Independence Day"), which is how I picture him as Marcone.  But hell, he probably was that old when he did ID.  A lot of celebrities sans makeup look like crap.  As for the action sequences, I don't think but maybe a handful of the world's greatest martial artists could actually pull off the knife-trick from FM.  That's what CG is for.  It's why we didn't see decent movies of Marvel Superheroes until there was CG.

Loggia wasn't exactly young in Independence Day and that was 20 years ago.  Also, I just don't see him as Marcone.  I've always had an image of Eric Roberts as Marcone when I read the books.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »
Loggia wasn't exactly young in Independence Day and that was 20 years ago.  Also, I just don't see him as Marcone.  I've always had an image of Eric Roberts as Marcone when I read the books.

He was occasionally described as "fatherly-looking" in DF.  I have always envisioned Loggia for that role--the smooth, relaxed and intent persona that fits quite well with "predator".  Works for tigers...
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline cptnspldng

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2014, 12:01:55 PM »
Can I nominate Jeffrey Tambor for Goodman Grey?
Look, he said to his imagination, if this is how you're going to behave, I shan't bring you again.
(Terry Pratchett, "Going Postal")

What fresh Hell is this?

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
I don't usually pop into casting threads, but my hubby and I just binge watched the last season of Once Upon a Time, and the guy that plays Hook took the place of my mental Harry.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1524440/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
Can I nominate Jeffrey Tambor for Goodman Grey?

Although no one can accuse me of being a "playground monitor" by any means, that comment should probably be moved to the "DF Spoiler" section and be put into a "spoiler" cover.

In reply, the character is still to new to me to have fully formed an image yet (I'm only to Chapter 24).  The half-formed ones kinda resemble that of
(click to show/hide)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2014, 10:52:28 PM »
     I like Rufus Sewell for Thomas Raith. He looks 'French' enough to run his hair styling boutique.

I'd say my choice for that role was Michael Wincott, but it wasn't a choice.  By the time Thomas' character was developed enough to merit attention as a major character (as I recall even before he was revealed to be Harry's brother) he looked like Michael Wincott in my head.  If it was a choice, it wasn't a conscious one.

Same for Will Borden.  He's Jack Black.  Has been from the very beginning.  Morgan was Lani Tupu.  Marcone was Robert Loggia.  The Naagloshii was Jim Carey in a yellow "Grinch" costume.  I actively fought AGAINST that mental picture.  It won't go away, like getting part of a song you hate stuck in your head.

Offline biffstella

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2014, 03:34:20 AM »
Harry - Armie Hammer - tall (6'5") thin, could pull off the smarta** stuff
Marcone - I can't see anyone but Ray Stevenson here.  Go look at his character in
Dexter. 
Thomas - Colin Farrell - gorgeous, sexy, sweet and dangerous
Justine - Scarlett Johanssen
Butters - Jay Baruchel

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2014, 05:44:27 AM »
I want some role for John Nolan, but I don't know what. Perhaps Merlin. He has to be old and British. He is awesome.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Denarian

• Participant
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
I recently started seeing Michael Kelly as Victor Sells.
[
And for some reason I can't stop seeing Patrick Stewart as Nicodemus and Michael Caine as Binder (I know they look nothing alike, but it's the accent).
Harry Dresden and the Sorcerer's Curse
Harry Dresden and the Chamber of Circles
Harry Dresden and the Prisoner of Vampires
Harry Dresden and the Stone Table
Harry Dresden and the Order of the Blackened Denarius
Harry Dresden and the Half-Blood Vampire
Harry Dresden and the Deadly Darkhallo

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »
Heh.  How about Tim Curry for Nicodemus?  The magic of Hollywood makeup artists could probably make him look younger than he does now...