Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259857 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2014, 10:54:38 PM »

I like your Rashid and McCoy, but the rest are way too young for my tastes as SC members.  And Mai specifically would need to be a tiny and frail looking old woman, to my mind.

the idea is to cast young and have subtle makeup age them, so the actors age into the roll rather than age out.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2014, 01:06:38 PM »
the idea is to cast young and have subtle makeup age them, so the actors age into the roll rather than age out.
Thats actually a fantastic idea! 

Though I still say Hugh Laurie would be the absolute perfect Langtry. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Longfellow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
*twirls in place Three times, widdershins*  Serack Serack Serack, I summon THEE!!

Can you point me to this Q&A?

Unfortunately, I don't have an eidetic memory, nor do I keep a journal of my YouTube viewing history.  If I locate it again, I'll be sure to notify you appropriately. 

Got malk?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have an eidetic memory, nor do I keep a journal of my YouTube viewing history.  If I locate it again, I'll be sure to notify you appropriately.
You missed the Snoopy dance, Serack already found it  :)

BOOM (youtube video link qued' to the time where he says it)

*snoopy dance*

Edit:  *Goes and checks*  Stupid forum search function should have pointed me right at the transcript but is stupid *mutter*

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Longfellow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »

Actually, my memory is better than I thought it was, and it is NOT the same video that Serack posted (I haven't even seen that video yet).  Here is where I found the Will Smith comment: 

Minute 10:40 mark -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGvwXSdIzY

Got malk?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
It was also in the transcript thread he linked:
Audience:   So, who plays Harry Dresden in this hypothetical movie?
Jim Butcher:   Who plays Harry Dresden in this hypothetical movie?  I don't know.  There's been all kinds of different people giving suggestions.  I always kind of liked Will Smith, just because he has the right attitude. (laughter)  But now he's gone to hit the gym and he's gotten all buff and stuff, now.  So, I don't know.  Right here.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
Ok, I've finally decided to post here because I want to do a few comments.
I always pictured MArtha Liberty as a middle aged even old woman. Something along the lines of Diahann Carroll. I approve your choices for Rashid and McCoy too, Gryff. Mai has always beeing Michelle Yeoh in my mind.
Rasins, Sean Connery is Morgan for me  :). Richard Harris or Alec Guiness would have been Langtry. Hugh JAckman is a quite good realistic option.

Since Agents of Shield began I thought Grant Ward looked very much like my mind's Dresden. And, of course, Thomas is Matt Bomer, no other option.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2014, 07:52:40 AM »
I think so, but only because you'd want there to be a marked contrast between him and Thomas.

Yeah, when I first saw the photo I thought Thomas, even though my pick for that role is Michael Wincott (who I still think is a better fit).
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2014, 08:01:31 AM »
I realize it's not possible, but as long as we are fantasizing about cast memebers, what do you think about the interaction we'd get with Sean Connery as Ebenezar and Alec Guiness as Langtry?

Nah.  Sean Connery is Sir Stuart.  Christopher Lee is Langtry.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2014, 02:46:25 AM »
I prefer Terrence Stamp for Langtry. That way we get General Zod levels of annoyance with Harry's shenanigans.

Offline PJKats

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2014, 02:29:04 AM »
After recently seeing the movie, Divergent, I'm voting for Theo James as Harry. I was stunned when I saw him onscreen as he is the image of the Harry Dresden that I have in my head. Of course, he needs a few inches of height but 6' 1" isn't too bad. Also, my image of Harry has thinner lips. I love the 'resonant baritone' of Theo's voiced as well.

I'd post a photo but I just can 't figure out how to do that on my smart phone. Hey, I'm old...  ;D

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »
I always pictured Mai is waaay older than those. Even with make-up they would seem too physically robust.  Maiis always described as seemingly eggshell frail.  And while most of the rest of the SC would fall in the robust-middle-age to active-retirement-age, Mai is stuck in my head as being well past 70, in terms of appearance.  This doesnt quite fit with her initial description of having "delicate features only lightly touched by the passage of years, though her dark eyes were rheumy"  but it's pretty well stuck in my mind. 

Not unlike how Morgan was a tall black man for the longest time, thanks to the TV show
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »

Not unlike how Morgan was a tall black man for the longest time, thanks to the TV show

I never saw any of the TV episodes until after having read the books.  Don't remember how many were out then, but was not favorably impressed with the TV version.  But then that pretty much applies to whatever I see on TV on the very rare occasions when I'm subjected to it (don't know how to turn my wife's TV on, and am quite content with that).  But the image that stuck in my head for Morgan was that of Lani Tupu in his role as the "Peacekeeper" on Farscape (got a DVD of a few episodes of that).

I didn't ask for that image to be there.  It just was.  Just like no matter how hard I try, the Naagloshii looks like Jim Carey in a yellow Grinch suit with claws.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2014, 01:07:18 PM »
I didn't ask for that image to be there.  It just was.  Just like no matter how hard I try, the Naagloshii looks like Jim Carey in a yellow Grinch suit with claws.
...Thanks, that will be his new look in my mind from now on.  Congrats, Mr Carey, you are now chewing off the fingers of beautiful women in my mind.  And you thought Kick Ass 2 was bad... :-\
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
...no matter how hard I try, the Naagloshii looks like Jim Carey in a yellow Grinch suit with claws.

I had the *same* visualization!!!