Author Topic: Spellcasting Spreadsheet -- Test it for me!  (Read 5642 times)

Offline BabbageCliologic

• Participant
    • View Profile
Spellcasting Spreadsheet -- Test it for me!
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:39:10 AM »
Hey Folks,

This is my first time posting here but I've been posting over at RPG.net for years and I cross-posted this over there as well.

I'm running a Dresden Files RPG FAE game for some friends and they're all playing White Council Wardens. Since the magic system is complex, I've come up with a spellcasting spreadsheet that I've put up on Google Drive in a zip file. If you play Dresden Files RPG, I'd appreciate a look-see and any comments you may have.

The zipped file is on Google Drive and it contains an .xls file (Excel 1997-2004).

I've set up two sheets, one for Evocation and another for Thaumaturgy (another two sheets are list info). Since both need Lore, Discipline and Conviction scores, the info on Evocation is ported directly to Thaumaturgy. The file includes room for Focus Items, the range of Elements and Specialties, and Bonuses. I also included space for the Refinement Power. The final thing I put in was page references for the Dresden Files RPG Volume One: Your Story book.

Any questions, comments or ideas for changes, let me know.

/Matt

The Babbage Cliological Society Asshat Paladins Blog
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:11:53 AM by BabbageCliologic »

Offline BabbageCliologic

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcasting Spreadsheet -- Test it for me!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
One further note: the spreadsheet is protected but not password protected.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:50:35 AM »
Tried it out.

Evocation sheet worked well, but it looks like you can only use one focus. That could be a problem for people who use one focus for power and one for control.

Thaumaturgy sheet had some issues. It assumed the base duration was instant, leading to unreasonably high complexities. Also it seemed to think that Crafting was a type of ritual, and it used a base stress cost of 1 instead of 0. The one-focus thing seemed to be present here as well.

Offline BabbageCliologic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 06:16:30 AM »
Tried it out.

Thanks!

Evocation sheet worked well, but it looks like you can only use one focus. That could be a problem for people who use one focus for power and one for control.

OK, I'll add a second focus item slot in the calculation line.

Thaumaturgy sheet had some issues. It assumed the base duration was instant, leading to unreasonably high complexities.

I'll double check but I set up the persistence (duration) of the spell to range from instant to several mortal lifetimes. The duration value changes as a result, increasing the complexities.

Also it seemed to think that Crafting was a type of ritual,

The Crafting Bonuses don't add to Complexity or Control, instead to Frequency or Strength.

and it used a base stress cost of 1 instead of 0.

As I understand it, minimum Stress for spellcasting  is always 1, never 0.

The one-focus thing seemed to be present here as well.

I'll add that one as well.

Thanks for looking it over.

/M

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »
I'll double check but I set up the persistence (duration) of the spell to range from instant to several mortal lifetimes. The duration value changes as a result, increasing the complexities.

It mostly works correctly. But the "zero value" shouldn't be instant. Going by YS266, the zero value can vary but until the next sunrise is a good default.

The Crafting Bonuses don't add to Complexity or Control, instead to Frequency or Strength.

I think the spreadsheet lets you select Crafting when designing a ritual, though.

As I understand it, minimum Stress for spellcasting  is always 1, never 0.

According to YS271, not so.

PS: We have a Downloads thread here on the forum and a Downloads page on the wiki. Want this on those?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:03:04 PM »
Thaumaturgy doesn't cause stress as default. It's the major difference between it and evocation because you don't have time to carefully prepare the spell when using evocation.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline BabbageCliologic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
Working on a number of changes mentioned here and hope to post a revised version today or tomorrow.

/Matt

Offline BabbageCliologic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
PS: We have a Downloads thread here on the forum and a Downloads page on the wiki. Want this on those?

Can we wait until the revs have been made?

/M

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:59:28 AM »
Sure, take all the time you need. I'm not going anywhere.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 05:04:23 AM »
It mostly works correctly. But the "zero value" shouldn't be instant. Going by YS266, the zero value can vary but until the next sunrise is a good default.

I usually have the default duration of a ritual spell set at A Scene/15 minutes, with Wards and other similar type ritual spells having a default starting duration of A Day/until the next sunrise.  If you read through YS266, it does suggest the 'default' duration for a few things (namely Wards and Curses on Locations) having a starting duration of A Day.  However, something like a spell which provides/causes a Temporary Aspect to be on a living thing (ex. Bad Luck) would only last about 15 minutes.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline BabbageCliologic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »
Hey Folks,

I've made a few changes but I'm not done yet:

* Added a Wizard Info page that all the pages read from. These include Lore, Discipline, Conviction, Elements, Specialties, and Focus Items.

* Added 2nd Focus Item on Evocation and Thaumaturgy pages.

* Set up Duration Types (Typical, Scene and Instant) on Thaumaturgy page. Typical = next sunrise (0), Scene = 15 minutes (0) and Instant = instant (0). That will give the player a chance to discuss it with the GM about which is appropriate.

* Added a Crafting page with space for Enchanted Items.

I have to check some things out but I hope to post it tomorrow or by this weekend.

/Matt

Offline BabbageCliologic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 06:24:34 AM »
I've updated the spreadsheet to include more information.

The updated zipped file is on Google Drive and it contains an .xls file (Excel 1997-2004).

I put in page references for the Dresden Files RPG Volume One: Your Story book and provided instructions for each page.

Character information is placed on the Wizard's Info page. This page also includes spaces for Skills (Lore, Discipline and Conviction) scores, the range of Elements and Specialties and bonuses, Focus Items (for both Evocation, Thaumaturgy and Crafting), Focus Item and Enchanted Item Slots, Focus Item bonus data and Refinement Powers.

The Evocation and Thaumaturgy pages have the spell generation processes and refers to the Wizard's Info.

The Crafting page has space for up to eight enchanted items and allows users to select potion slots.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:12:24 AM by BabbageCliologic »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 09:30:01 AM »
Downloaded.

Looks better but I'm still having some problems with items. The sheet doesn't seem to want me to share slots between Evocation and Thaumaturgy, and when I tried to include focus bonuses in a spell it didn't work.

Offline dplanken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
I can't seem to get the file in one piece :( When downloaded it claims it has unreadable content and rapes the data.

Offline BabbageCliologic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
Downloaded.

Looks better but I'm still having some problems with items. The sheet doesn't seem to want me to share slots between Evocation and Thaumaturgy, and when I tried to include focus bonuses in a spell it didn't work.

Hmmm, I set up Focus Items to be specific to either Evocation or Thaumaturgy/Crafting and don't mix between the two. I'll reread Crafting on YS278-282 and see if I can improve the sheet.