Author Topic: Any help for SERIOUS writers block?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline blackcouncilwannabe

• Participant
  • Evil is just a point of view.
    • View Profile
Any help for SERIOUS writers block?
« on: July 30, 2007, 06:48:16 PM »
New to boards esp. this section.  Have been co-writing a book and have been unable to write anything for 6 months now.  AT ALL.

Co-writer is no help at all, btw, as we're doing this long-distance and she is unwilling to talk for the 15 minutes it would take to clear up some questions, so I've got to go-it-alone. She still claims to want to finish. Repeatedly. So I can only take her at her word I guess.

HELP! 

PS:  I hope this isn't a redundant thread

Dikaion

Re: Any help for SERIOUS writers block?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 07:25:39 PM »
I had writer's block for a really long time.  Ended up taking a college course that surveyed different writings from other genres than I am used to, stuff I would never read on my own, etc, etc.  It really helped.  I think just getting out of my comfort zone stirred up some creativity.  So I try to keep up with that and broaden my selection of what I read and also I try to write throw-away little things experimenting with other styles, genres, etc, like mental exercises.  Seems to help.  Especially when my brain gets bored with one specific thing because I've obsessed on it for too long.

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »
I've never understood the co-writer thing.  I don't think I could give up that much control, and I don't think I could wait when the creative juices are flowing.  Sure, I ask my friends for their opinions on my drafts, but I do the writing, the changing, the fixing.

But back to your question.  There are a lot of writer-related things you can do to get the juices flowing again.
1.  Read a book in your given genre.
2.  Participate in a writers forum (it helps to critique the works of others).
3.  Read blogs by other writers (I have a short list of bookmarked authors whose blogs I frequent, one of them being Richelle Mead.)
4.  Organize your notes.  I, at least, come up with ideas for things that have nothing to do with the book(s) I'm writing.  So, I jot down those notes on scrap paper.  Every once in a while that stack of scrap needs to be dealt with.  It helps to go through those ideas.
5.  Write a short story, even if you never publish it.
6.  Start something else.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline Pinky Narfanek

• Conversationalist
  • The truth is a three edged narf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:59:01 AM »
Sometimes if you know what happens after the part that's causing the block and try to write a bit about that, that can stir things up enough to get you going again.
I think so, Brain, but burlap chafes me so...

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 04:18:00 AM »
One thing I've realized is that when I'm struggling through a scene, I realize that I'm not doing it right.  If I have to force my writing, then I'm coming at it from the wrong angle.  So I sit back and think about how else it could be done.  That usually helps. 
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 05:01:53 PM »
Okay, this suggestion is not an easy one...or at least it never is for me when I do it.  Actually, these are multiple suggestions...all which I do/have done myself to get my proverbial ass in gear.

1. Read, read, read.  I have found a direct correlation in the amount of material and how often I read and the productivity, frequency, and ease of my writing sessions.  I usually read in my genre, but that's just me.  Just the reading primes my mind for creation.

2.  Just write.  Anything.  I think somebody said before to write a short story.  I've done that and it helped a lot.  Simply because I finished something.  A little sense of accomlishment can be a very encouraging thing when you're in the long haul of writing a novel.

3.  Stop stressing over it.  The more I stress about the time I'm not writing, the more difficult it is for me to concentrate on writing...it becomes a vicious cycle for me because I can't write when I'm stressed out.  This is the trickiest problem for me to get around, and sometimes if there's a busy time at one of my jobs or some other outside factor, I can be off my game for months. 

4.  Always remember that the more time you spend away from the story, the farther away you will grow from it.  Try to write something about the story every day.  It can be anything, even merely rereading the stuff you've already written.  Anything to keep your head in the story.  You will feel the distance growing the longer you are away from the story, and that goes back to stressing about lack of writing.

5.  Finally, sit down and figure out the circumstances that you need to be able to write.  For instance, instead of trying to force my writing time into the rest of my life whenever I could fit it, I analyzed my life and my routine, etc... and finally figured out the optimal situation.  Personally, I need a very large block of time set aside, at least 4 hours.  I've had to move this 4 hours before I go in to work, because I'm brain dead after I get off work.  So this means I have to wake up at 4am every morning...which in turn means I have to go to sleep at 10pm.  I'm still getting used to this schedule, but when I get it working I think I will be happy as a clam.  I just adjusted little things in the other areas of my life so I can create the right circumstances for me to write.  Does that make sense? 

So there're my helpful (hopefully) insights into the cure of the infamous writer's block.  Again, I realize all of these things are very hard to do, and very easy to write on a blog.  I've done them all, and will no doubt do them again.  They aren't easy practices, but if you're serious about writing, then you have to do what you have to do.  And these are just my personal practices.  They probably won't work for everyone.

BLG
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 05:51:56 PM »
Hello again...

Turns out I ran into a block on my current (and first) novel, so I just wanted to tell you that I put some of my own preachings into practice.

This morning I woke up at 5am, got around, and sat down to work on my book.  Hit a wall.  Started a short story off the hip, and it's turning out to be pretty good so far.  I like it at least, and I have already put in 2000 + words on the short.  I can already tell it's going to take the pressure off me for a while because I'm still writing, even though it isn't my main project, and the absence of pressure will allow me to think a little more clearly when I get back to the novel in a few days.

So, just wanted to let ya know that these little things actually do work for me when I have writers block.  Maybe some of them will help you out too! Good luck!
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:34:47 PM »
BCwannabe:  still blocked?  i agree with all that's been said.  Best wishes!

I also wonder about the comment RMatt made as to the control issue.  If I were in your shoes--I'd have all kinds of unconsious problems that would interfer with writing with the co-author thing.

I'd test it out.  If you are having writer's block, you might be carrying around a big grudge against the co-author.  If so if you start something on your own the grudge would disappear.  If you fly through something new, then it's time to discuss with the co-author of the original work whether she will release it to you OR if you should release it to her.  i've no idea how to do that and my gut tells me--ship it off to her so she can't come back at you later and claim to have access to it OR maybe (we can always hope) you get famous and the next thing you know she's published it with your name on it as co-author.  BIG ICKKK.

RMatthew...  I know that I have areas I'm not fantastic at and would seriously co-write with the right individual after a lot of reading of the other person's work AND how they tend to work.  Co-writing has got to be easier when you are face to face.  My problem with that is when the juices flow for three days, 24 hours a day straight for me, my co-author might not be having the same creative rush.. in which case the long distance computer seems easier. Either way you give up control over part of it. Niven/Pourelle (my favorite technical sci fi authors) have done some amazing books as a team!

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 05:43:10 AM »
Don't force it. When it comes it comes. (Please don't say "that's what she said...") I took up doing a web comic and as long as I keep that up, I can pretty much generate words easier than when I opened up a word document and stared at the blank space. If you force it to come out, it'll probably be worse than when you're inspired and letting it flow.