Author Topic: Thaumaturgic duration  (Read 1512 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Thaumaturgic duration
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »
I want to set up defensive spells in my sorcerer's workshop/business.  Given that I'll be able to pull in about 12 shifts of power (six plus a few other tags), is there any way I can make a day-long spell that doesn't have all teh shifts eaten by duration?  Or should I just renew the things every 1-4 hours?  For Example:

Six shifts of power from me. 
+2 for a hand-crafted model of the store (Crafting)
+2 for mystic carved wooden wands (Lore)
+2 for fine silver wire (Resources)
That's about all I can come up with without using FP's to invoke my own Aspects.  Altogether, I get:
Effect: Six (6) shift maneuver attack with two more shifts (+2) added for duration that puts the "Bound in place" Aspect on target, resisted by Athletics or Might.
Trigger: +2 shifts
Duration: A couple hours until triggered (+2 shifts)
Effect (8) + Trigger (2) + Duration (2)=12.  Is this right?
By the way, when do such spells take effect?  Assuming the Bad Guy has a more Alertness than me, does it take effect the moment he triggers it (say, pulls out a weapon or crosses a line?)
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Thaumaturgic duration
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Generally you do this sort of thing as a landmine on a ward, in which case, the duration starts at 'until the next sunrise'

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:47:16 PM »
I want to set up defensive spells in my sorcerer's workshop/business.  Given that I'll be able to pull in about 12 shifts of power (six plus a few other tags), is there any way I can make a day-long spell that doesn't have all teh shifts eaten by duration?  Or should I just renew the things every 1-4 hours? 
I'd set it up once for a much longer period of time.  Recasting is inefficient - worse, you'll miss one and allow someone in eventually.

For Example:

Six shifts of power from me. 
+2 for a hand-crafted model of the store (Crafting)
+2 for mystic carved wooden wands (Lore)
+2 for fine silver wire (Resources)
That's about all I can come up with without using FP's to invoke my own Aspects.  Altogether, I get:
Effect: Six (6) shift maneuver attack with two more shifts (+2) added for duration that puts the "Bound in place" Aspect on target, resisted by Athletics or Might.
Trigger: +2 shifts
Duration: A couple hours until triggered (+2 shifts)
Effect ( 8 ) + Trigger (2) + Duration (2)=12.  Is this right?
A couple of things - first, thaumaturgy defaults to a scene (and wards to a day) so adding two shifts of duration to that gets you an hour (or a week for a ward).  Three more aspects would get you to a few weeks (or a few months)...they're worth it.  Second, I'd use block mechanics for locking someone in place - specifically a block against movement. 

By the way, when do such spells take effect?  Assuming the Bad Guy has a more Alertness than me, does it take effect the moment he triggers it (say, pulls out a weapon or crosses a line?)
You'll need to specify a simple trigger, when that condition is met it goes off.  The intruder's Alertness doesn't affect whether or not the effect is triggered...though it may allow said intruder to see the spell (if he can sense it or how it was set up).  It's two shifts per condition so it's not going to be complex normally.

Here's a simple ward as an example:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:49:32 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 03:11:10 AM »
I'd set it up once for a much longer period of time.  Recasting is inefficient - worse, you'll miss one and allow someone in eventually.
A couple of things - first, thaumaturgy defaults to a scene (and wards to a day) so adding two shifts of duration to that gets you an hour (or a week for a ward).  Three more aspects would get you to a few weeks (or a few months)...they're worth it.  Second, I'd use block mechanics for locking someone in place - specifically a block against movement. 
You'll need to specify a simple trigger, when that condition is met it goes off.  The intruder's Alertness doesn't affect whether or not the effect is triggered...though it may allow said intruder to see the spell (if he can sense it or how it was set up).  It's two shifts per condition so it's not going to be complex normally.

(click to show/hide)
Holy moly, was I ever thinking small!  Thanks for the help and the kick to unimaginative backside.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:12:33 AM »
Holy moly, was I ever thinking small!  Thanks for the help and the kick to unimaginative backside.
Sure!  There used to be a thread with ritual aspect suggestions on the boards - probably still around if you can find it.  But it really is simple (if not necessarily easy), just write out the "story of the spell" and add all the details you can think of...once you're done, go back and add some more.  ;)  Every detail you add to it has the potential of becoming a declaration / aspect (and power).
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 05:54:06 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Yup. It fits with my game experience - when you can invest a slightly greater effort into expanding the duration massively, always do so.

Nice example ritual, btw.