Author Topic: Your favorite steampunk related stuff  (Read 6990 times)

Offline rad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Your favorite steampunk related stuff
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:46:37 AM »
Post your favorite pictures, cosplay, concept art, series, videos, books, etc.  Just make it fun and interesting. 

Starting off with Just Glue Some Gears On It:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA
Sam will kill him if he tries anything.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite steampunk related stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »
I'm not big into Steampunk, but here's a good shopping place.

http://www.steampunkemporium.com/steam.php?gclid=CJ6EvOqi17kCFUHNOgod0wcAwQ

Offline mountainsoul

• Conversationalist
  • #34. I will not turn into a snake. It never helps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 03:43:14 AM »
The wedding I was at recently had a bit of a steampunk/fabulous theme.
This was the cake stand the groom made out of pipes, with the cake on it

The ladies looked lovely in corsets
Great things are done when men and mountains meet, these are not done on the jostling street - Blake.

Tarvek - "You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it."
Agatha - "If that's what you think then you're DOING IT WRONG!"

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:18:14 AM »
I was looking up Awolnation's "Sail" on youtube, and found this video spliced onto it.  Goes great with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHVFV68LFQ
Edit:  That link is broke.  Here is another version that isn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vf212ZBURM

After watching it and enjoying it immensely, I searched around and found the original music, Eye of the Storm by Lovett, that video is associated with.  A very melancholy acoustic number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1mX8ptsmBM
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:50:28 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Mario Di Giacomo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
Because no steampunk discussion should be mentioned without it:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/
Mario Di Giacomo

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 05:40:21 AM »
I just posted this in the media section, but it fits here just as well (or maybe even better):
Just finished "The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack" and "Curious Case of the Clockwork Man" by Mark Hodder in rapid succession. It's an alternate history steampunk series and an all around excellent read.
And what's best, there are 2 more books in the "Burton and Swinborne" series, and I'm going to get them as soon as I possibly can. :)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline GWPfark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:18:46 AM »
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Great game, available on GOG.com
"By human standards, if she was any flakier you could pour milk on her and call her breakfast."

Offline Xerjester

• Participant
  • That was Zen. This is Tao.
    • View Profile
    • Xero Reynolds - Professional Creative Widget
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:13:28 AM »
Music: Abney Park, Steam Powered Giraffe, the Cog is Dead, Clockwork Quartet

Books: Really digging the Century of Steam series by Cherie Priest. Boneshaker in particular is pretty rad.

Movies: My wife and I just came across a awesome one called Tai Chi Zero (sequel: Hero). Dude. Kung-fu versus steam-driven technology/expansionism with modern humor sensibilities? Oh. Hell. Yes.
I do creative stuff.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 05:45:27 AM »
I just posted this in the media section, but it fits here just as well (or maybe even better):
Just finished "The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack" and "Curious Case of the Clockwork Man" by Mark Hodder in rapid succession. It's an alternate history steampunk series and an all around excellent read.
And what's best, there are 2 more books in the "Burton and Swinborne" series, and I'm going to get them as soon as I possibly can. :)

I've been looking at that series for quite some time trying to decide whether to read them. I'll have to give them a try.

I personally enjoyed Chris Brak's books: The Translated Man and Other Stories and its sequel Mr. Stitch. They are a bit rough but I found them very enjoyable.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Braincandy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 05:49:59 AM »
Hello. I've been a Jim Butcher fan for a few years now but just now registered to post in this thread.

I am not a cosplayer or anything like that, but I am a long time roleplayer and miniatures gamer. My only real steampunk related interest involves both of those two topic. I've been a huge fan of the Privateer Press line of products since they were new, and they are now getting fairly well known and popular. If anyone here is familiar with Warmachine, Hordes or the Iron Kingdoms roleplay setting, you will know what I mean. Here is some of the art.

Offline big_bear

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »
For music I agree it is hard to beat Abney Park. Captain Robert also wrote a steampunk book based on their music called Wrath of Fate that was pretty good. Not JB good  but pretty good. ;)

I also loved a trilogy that my wife found for me by Scott Westerfield. Leviathan is book one, Behemoth is book 2 and Goliath is book 3. Alan Cummings, the guy that was Floop in the Spy Kids movies and Nightcrawler in the X-Men movies does the narration for the audio book and he is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

There was a guy years ago that made steampunk keyboards and flat screen monitors. Did beautiful work but the link I have no longer works. Don't know what happened to him.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:31 PM »
There was a guy years ago that made steampunk keyboards and flat screen monitors. Did beautiful work but the link I have no longer works. Don't know what happened to him.

If it was the one I think it is (he got quite famous), he unfortunately died. I think earlier this year or a year ago.

Steampunk stuff I really love are:

Ministry of Peculiar Occurences. The thrid book in the series felt a bit too much James Bondish though. Eagerly awaiting the dead tree-version of the RPG. It uses FATE Core.

Another bokseries I like are: Bannon & Clare-series. A sorceress and a mentath. Very cool series, and quite dark

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:51 AM »

Is this the link? http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »
Yep Datamancer  is no longer with us and the world is poorer because of it. His work appeared on Warehouse 13.

However Thomas Willford www.bruteforceleather.com/ whose work appeared on Castle, and Herr   herrdoktors.blogspot.com/?m=1 are very much still active in the field as makers. It's worthwhile checking their work out. Herr Doktor is a Guest of Honour along with someone called Jim Butcher at a British Covention, Dysprosium next year. Small world isn't it?

Offline WoodyWeaver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 09:17:15 PM »
For music I agree it is hard to beat Abney Park.

How about Thomas Dolby's "A Map of the Floating City"?  _Spice_Train_ has a blimp in it.