Author Topic: NEWBS INCOMING!-Game Advice  (Read 1523 times)

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
NEWBS INCOMING!-Game Advice
« on: September 03, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »
Ok, so it's been awhile since my group has done Dresden (I ran the game and got caught up in RL, ran out of steam, kinda forgot what I was doing blah blah whine whine). We didn't play often and never got our arms entirely around it. I'm not super comfortable with the system is what I'm saying.

However, in the name of Excelsior!, I have volunteered to run a game for a pair of acquaintances who don't game much at all, and have limited to no Dresden experience. They're not super familiar with the books or the world. Now, obviously a lot rests on what kind of characters they'll wanna pick and I'm gonna have a sit down with them once they've had a chance to check the rule book and all, but I'm still a bit unsure where to start them.

So...can you guys give me some tips on what kind of adventure I can start two noobs on? Keep in mind I'm gonna set in our hometown (I find it makes creative problem solving SO much easier when you don't have to ask if there's a drugstore or whatever near by). But some sort of basic idea of what kind of mystery to solve, or baddie to fight or what have you would be appreciated. I've kicked it around a bit, but I've just come up goose eggs.

Thanks!

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: NEWBS INCOMING!-Game Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
I always find getting their feet wet with a little supernatural is good. Ghouls make good low level enemies and they can take a lot of punishment before you put them down. I would only put them up against one to start... have the ghoul killing hobos or something (depending on where you live). So one enemy vs two PCs.

FYI, I also find that until they know about the magic system and the rules of magic, to keep them from playing a caster. The hardest thing to drill through my players heads is 1. This isn't Vancian magic, and 2. There are very real consequences to killing mortals.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
Give the One-Shots a serious look, you may be pleased. I was able to incorporate Neutral Grounds and Evil Acts into our campaign on Obsidian Portal, we hit 2 years this month.

http://www.evilhat.com/home/dresden-files-rpg-downloads/
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »
Yeah...I've thought about Neutral Grounds...I may give that one a go after they've had a chance to peruse the system a bit.

But on the off chance they want to play something specific that may not work well in the modules, also because I kinda want to lasso them in, so I'm looking to put my best foot forward.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
Here's a one-shot adventure I did for experienced Rpers who were complete newbies to Dresden:

I gave them all pre-gen characters which I have on PDF, if you want them.

(click to show/hide)

Not sure if it's the kind of thing you're looking for, but maybe it'll give you ideas.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:47:30 PM by Taran »

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
Give the One-Shots a serious look, you may be pleased. I was able to incorporate Neutral Grounds and Evil Acts into our campaign on Obsidian Portal, we hit 2 years this month.

http://www.evilhat.com/home/dresden-files-rpg-downloads/
This, a thousand times this.
Let them have a taste of it cake before having them bake one.