Author Topic: Iron druid  (Read 3526 times)

Offline raydjulia

• Participant
    • View Profile
Iron druid
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:35:23 AM »
im looking to stat up a druid character, i want to give him supernatural recovery, and i want the catch to be he has to be in contact with the earth, i dont know if this qualifies as a catch or not or if so what its worth. i also want him to have channeling earth magic and ritual, to craft talismans. if anyone could help me stat this up i would be very greatful ty

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: Iron druid
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:45:14 AM »
I've given some thought to it after reading the first book in the series (as a hold until Skin Games comes out). I'll play around with some ideas and post something up tomorrow.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline raydjulia

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:28:53 AM »
imalso wanting to give him an item of power , but i want it to be tattoes, is that possible

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 06:32:52 AM »
A tattoo IoP probably isn't doable. The disadvantages of an item don't apply to a tattoo.

Anyway, I know nothing about Iron Druid. But I did a forum search, and here's what I found:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,38126.0/
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,36044.0.html

Offline raydjulia

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
ty very much for that, im looking to get a playable version for like 10 refresh but this helps alot

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »
On the Item of Power: You can very well describe these powers as something given to him by tattooing these spells into his skin, but mechanically they're not going to give an refresh rebate, since the "item" (the tattoos) can't be removed from him. Make it an aspect, and maybe damage to the tattoos can be a compell.

Calculating the catch of "only when in contact with earth" is another thing. The calculations are on p185 of YS. I'm thinking that it's a +2, maybe at most +3 catch. It depends a bit on what precisely is considered "earth" and how much is needed. Is the small square of earth open in a sidewalk that a tree stands in enough? A large (2 foot square) pot of earth enough? A small, regular houseplant pot? Is it enough to carry a pouch of earth with him?
The easier it is for him to have access to the recovery, the less the catch should be worth.

If it requires "natural earth" so to speak (so most parks will do, but if the grounds been prepared with gravel and then filled up with earth on top it won't work) and the story will mostly be in a city, I'd allow it as a +3 catch.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
On the Item of Power: You can very well describe these powers as something given to him by tattooing these spells into his skin, but mechanically they're not going to give an refresh rebate, since the "item" (the tattoos) can't be removed from him.
  Au contraire, sir.  Ask any member of Hell's Angels, they will cheerfully tell that a tattoo can be removed.  It can be flogged off, burned off, etc.  Tattoos can quite assuredly be removed.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
Ok, from what I remember Atticus O'Sullivan can increase his strength, speed, toughness and healing by drawing on Earth magic. Basically he has to be in contact with natural earth in order to use these abilities (including not having shoes on for a lot of it) and in order to properly heal has to be laying down on his right side so that his tattoos are in contact with the earth (meaning he's probably also mostly naked). He can store up some energy to do this when not in contact with the Earth, but right now you don't have enough refresh to get his amulet, so no dice.

I would give him Modular Abilities for most of his Earth Magic, although I wouldn't do it at Supernatural levels (yet).

Modular Abilities (-5)
Limited to Inhuman Strength, Inhuman Speed, Inhuman Recovery, Inhuman Toughness (the catch +1 must be in contact with natural earth). Basically at this point he can swap out 3 points of powers. So either Inhuman Strength or Inhuman Speed and a Recovery or Toughness Power. He can switch out which abilities as an action.

I would also give him Beast Change -1 since he can shape shift into certain pre-chosen forms. Although Beast Change only lets you transform into one form. As a house rule, you might find out if you can use modular abilities to take certain abilities under "Creature Features" in the book (YS 162) only when shapeshifted. There is a custom power called Family Shifter that your GM might allow to cover only your pre-chosen forms, but that will be up to them. The cost differences are pretty severe though (-1 for Beast Change, -4 for Family Shifter).

As for his Magical abilities, I would almost say that is Sponsored Magic tied to Binding and Unbinding of natural fibers. As Sponsored Magic with no other Magic abilities, that would cost him -4, although I would put a limitation on this of +1. If this magic is used to kill anybody, he dies (which is stated in the book). He doesn't take lawbreaker, he doesn't change an aspect. Character dead. Finite, caput.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:46:54 PM by bobjob »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:43:58 PM »
  Au contraire, sir.  Ask any member of Hell's Angels, they will cheerfully tell that a tattoo can be removed.  It can be flogged off, burned off, etc.  Tattoos can quite assuredly be removed.
Yes, but that removal isn't something that can happen just casually; you don't check your tattoos at the door the way you could a gun or a staff or a jacket.  Thus, a magic tattoo isn't an item of power; it's just a power.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
As wyvern said above, you can't just casually lend your tattoos to someone else, or leave them home ;)
Making the tattoos an Aspect however, could be used to Compell if an attack is targeted specifically at damaging the tattoos themselves.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
I'm with wyvern and Cadd on this. Make the tattoos an Aspect.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 02:54:35 AM »
ty very much for that, im looking to get a playable version for like 10 refresh but this helps alot

This is an approximation in DV terms, not an exact conversion, but...

Beast Change [-1]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
      The Catch [+1]: requires contact with natural earth
Item of Power [+1]: Cold Iron Amulet
     Physical Immunity [-8]
         The Catch (Stacked) [+5]: only against mortal magic
Seelie Magic [-4]
The Sight [-1]

Total: -9 Refresh. If you want more than one free Refresh, or to add a stunt or something, replace Seelie Magic with an appropriate Ritual or Channeling, or possibly remove Beast Change or The Sight (whichever you think is less critical to the character).

Notes (spoilered for space):
(click to show/hide)

PS: I'd suggest an accurate-to-the-books build would be somewhere in the range of 20-25 Refresh, but it'd be highly dependent on what value you put on the "limited to contact with earth" bit (since it affects so much of his powers), so hard to judge exactly.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:11:33 AM by vultur »

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
I would normally be against it but I can see the Tattoos being considered an Item of Power.  Atticus talks at length about how if the tats were damaged by an attack he would not be able to heal or access his magic at all until he got them redone by another druid.  And considering he is the last druid (until the last book anyway) he would likely have to get one of the Tuatha Dé Danann to do it for him.  Which would really suck for him.  In fact I recall his tattoo was damaged at one point and because of that he wasn't able to shape change into any animals because he would not be able to shape change back into a human.  I am not sure how this could be modeled however.  Perhaps the controlling Aspect for the IoP could cover this.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Maybe a (small)LimitationTM associated with any power that's attached to the tatoos.  I still don't think an IoP would work and you'd definitely need an aspect to represent it.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:06 PM »
Compare, for reference, the Tattoos of St. Giles - that's just a power, with an associated aspect.

As for having the tattoos damaged, that sounds like a consequence; if it would take you just a quick touch-up job to fix, that's a minor; if it would take a couple game sessions worth of time to fix, that's a moderate, etc.