Author Topic: American Gods - Agrammatic question  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
American Gods - Agrammatic question
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »
So I recently picked up Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods', and while I enjoy it, there was something odd in there I hadn't seen anywhere else, and I wanted to ask you what this was.

Every sentence that starts with 'A', as in "A car was driving by" or "A week ago the rain began to fall", there is no space between the 'A' and the following word. In the book, the sentences are "Acar was driving by" and "Aweek ago the rain began to fall". Now the first time I read that, I thought it was a typo, honest mistake, happens to the best of us. But I'm now two thirds through the book and every single time a sentence began like that, it was missing the space. No exception.

Now is this some sort of special grammar question where you are allowed to write like that, but it isn't necessary? Or is it simply a mistake and nobody caught it? Seems unlikely.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: American Gods - Agrammatic question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »
Huh, that doesn't happen in my copy.

Are you reading an e-book edition? E-books typically are scanned rather than typeset and many have odd spelling and/or grammatical errors as a result; for instance one I was recently reading referenced a family named Allen, and kept referring to them as the Aliens (when Allen was singular it was spelled correctly, so I was able to figure out from the context what the hell was going on, but it still looked odd, especially as the story was set in the 16th century and was fantasy rather than sci-fi.)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
There's also the formatting to take into consideration; some formats change stuff when you import it.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »
Nope, dead tree edition. But I conclude that this is not something that's supposed to be. Weird.

Well, it is an edited version, "the Author's preferred text" they call it. Still, I don't think something like this should happen.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
Nope, that definitely sounds like an error in that particular edition
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain