Author Topic: Jim's Dragon*Con 2013 Schedule  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Jim's Dragon*Con 2013 Schedule
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »
Each time I've seen Jim, we've gotten books signed and a picture or two with him.  I'd think that if someone wants to have a word with Jim and a picture, but no signature, it would actually be quicker that if there was a signature.

Granted my experiences have been at signings, not cons.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Interesting - I didn't know that the 2010 Dragoncon insanity was the exception.  :D I guess they just drastically underestimated Jim's popularity? Maybe I should have gone back to DragonCon. Oh well. I'm sure FaerieCon will be less overall chaotic anyway.

Don't get me wrong.  There are almost always more folks who want stuff signed than cons budget time for.  But I don't think that should create a dividing line of who gets to meet the author.

The Dragon*Con of three years ago was particularly heinous.  There were fans who lined up over an hour in advance that weren't able to get anything signed.  But cons are wising up to the sheer mass of Jim's readers and the fan demand for signing time and making allowances.  Hopefully, that debacle won't happen again.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
The Dragon*Con of three years ago was particularly heinous.  There were fans who lined up over an hour in advance that weren't able to get anything signed.  But cons are wising up to the sheer mass of Jim's readers and the fan demand for signing time and making allowances.  Hopefully, that debacle won't happen again.

When I first signed on to be Jim's sidekick again, I was asked what he needed. My immediate answer was MORE FREAKING SIGNINGS. They assured me that the signing policy that hosed us so badly in 2010 has been changed, and I would not be surprised if it were not in part because of Jim's experience.
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 11:31:18 PM »
When I first signed on to be Jim's sidekick again, I was asked what he needed. My immediate answer was MORE FREAKING SIGNINGS. They assured me that the signing policy that hosed us so badly in 2010 has been changed, and I would not be surprised if it were not in part because of Jim's experience.

How does one volunteer to be an author's sidekick at a con? :)
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
How does one volunteer to be an author's sidekick at a con? :)

I think a Hunger Games is involved.

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »

It was a bit worse than that, actually.  At one point right before the signing started, DCon staff counted off an arbitrary number of people and said something like "if you're behind this guy, you won't get in."  I was five or six people behind said guy, but said "to hell with that, I've been here two hours."  My friends and I stayed around and it turned out we got in the room and had our books signed, as did something like the next 20 people in line behind us.  At least those that didn't leave, because a fair number did.

I'd also like to extend an apology to Andi; my view is, obviously, somewhat tainted by my prior experience with Jim's signing at Dragon*Con.  I'll trust his staff when they say things will be better this year.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
I think a Hunger Games is involved.

Best. Answer. Ever. Of course, I'm WAY more Rue than Katniss so I'd be SO dead. 'Cellie would probably be the one decorating me in flowers.

It was a bit worse than that, actually.  At one point right before the signing started, DCon staff counted off an arbitrary number of people and said something like "if you're behind this guy, you won't get in."

Dude, I can pretty much promise you we had no idea that happened. How discouraging! I am SO sorry. The whole "one signing only, per non-Guest of Honor author" thing was a big fustercluck. I'll make sure to check the lines this year and talk to the DCon staff about handling people waiting.  No wonder you had a bad taste in your mouth about it.
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »
Best. Answer. Ever. Of course, I'm WAY more Rue than Katniss so I'd be SO dead. 'Cellie would probably be the one decorating me in flowers.

Bah. You're badass.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dannyboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »
Dragoncon is my one con a year most years, so I too was at that debacle that was the Jim Butcher signing at Dragoncon 2010... I was also one of the people who lined up outside the dealer's room in hopes he would be signing at buzzy multimedia's booth.  I don't use twitter so I missed the improvised streetside signing.  This year should be much easier on the fans.  Three books to get signed means at least two signing lines.  On a positive note I did get the artist to autograph my Backup hardcover that year and I braved the cattlecall that is NY Comicon later that year to get the autographs I missed at dragoncon.

I'll be the guy with the "Ick in magic" and Splattercon buttons on my badge lanyard.

Danny

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »
I got to the signing late anyway in 2010 cause my husband wanted to go to some panel on voiceacting beforehand.  >:( So I knew it was hopeless when I got there and saw the line! But I did get my book signed by putting it at Jim's spot at a panel with a note and a Starburst. Desperate times, desperate measures.  ;) And I got to ask a few questions during various panels, which was more important to me than the signed book anyway.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
Oh, one thing I noticed at signings... Dragoncon seemed to combine signings for one author they expect to be really popular, with an author or two they don't expect to be popular.  For example, they had Brandon Sanderson in a room with a big line for him, with 1-2 other authors who had maybe a fan or two.  I felt terrible watching that, personally, so I had my husband save our space in line while I met the other authors and found out about their works.  I had some interesting conversations, and felt like I was helping newer authors who probably were uncomfortable in that situation, so I'd recommend doing this if you have someone to save your spot.

And if you have a chance to meet Brandon Sanderson sometime, he is *REALLY* nice. I've met him 3x and he was always polite to every fan - even the few who were rather rude to him. And his events aren't as crazy as Jim's so you don't have to be there as early. Plus his writing is awesome. ;)

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 01:23:44 AM »
Don't get me wrong.  There are almost always more folks who want stuff signed than cons budget time for.  But I don't think that should create a dividing line of who gets to meet the author.

As one of the fans that got shut out of the signing in 2010, I was happy that they seem to have gotten their act together this year, with not only more signings, but much better crowd control and staff volunteers to keep the crown calm and happy. I was in line for the first signing by 9:30 this morning, it started promptly at 10am, and things moved pretty quickly. It took less than an hour to move through the queues and get signed, say "Hi!", get a photo snapped, and get out.  I did feel kind of sorry for the other authors in the room, who didn't have the huge line of fans waiting to see them, though.  8)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline MetalFae

• Posty McPostington
  • ~Tiny, but fierce!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Well I'm in the signing line now and one thing that is kind of irritating me is that some people have brought like 5 books to have signed o.o If anything will take up time, that will. I would have assumed a 2 book limit... But there's a guy in line right now with literally a bag full of books. Obviously all those books getting signed isn't going to happen bit I find it interesting that some people are even trying to pull that lol...
MF you  should stop shoving things in peoples mouths. I'm feeling left out. :(
Oh really? Huh. Well this is awkward.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »
Well I'm in the signing line now and one thing that is kind of irritating me is that some people have brought like 5 books to have signed o.o If anything will take up time, that will. I would have assumed a 2 book limit... But there's a guy in line right now with literally a bag full of books. Obviously all those books getting signed isn't going to happen bit I find it interesting that some people are even trying to pull that lol...

Yeah, Jim's general policy is that he only signs 3 per person per trip through the line.  Those folks with bags of books aren't going to be permitted to get them all signed.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
Yeah, Jim's general policy is that he only signs 3 per person per trip through the line.  Those folks with bags of books aren't going to be permitted to get them all signed.
He had jeditigger acting as Gatekeeper, handing him the two books or items to be signed.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH