Author Topic: A Good Introduction to New DFRPG Players?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
A Good Introduction to New DFRPG Players?
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:22:58 PM »
Okay so I need some creative feedback.  Within the next week or two I'll be introducing a group of seasoned role players to DFRPG.  Most of them are vaguely familiar with either the book series or the Fate system, but not to the point where I won't have to go through some kind of introduction into the Dresdenverse and go over the Fate mechanics.

How would (or has) anyone here gone about introducing the Dresdenverse to newcomers?  I have almost all the books on audio, I was considering trying to find a single chapter from one of the books that I feel portrays the overall tone and setting as an introduction.  Though I'm not sold on the idea, and I have no idea what chapter of what book I would use.

Any comments, help, or suggestions regarding introducing players to the setting and Fate mechanics in general would be most welcome!

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Good Introduction to New DFRPG Players?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
For something to present the world and tone overall, I actually think "Vignette" from Side Jobs could work really well. It's short and concise but also funny and hints at the kind of action that happens.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »
That's a really good suggestion.  It covers the basic concepts of the world, shows the line between the supernatural and the vanilla world, humorous banter between a down-on-his-luck Wizard and a talking skull, ect.  It's only about 5 minutes long to boot, which means I don't have to expect my players to sit in silence for 15-20 minutes to listen to a single chapter.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
Also, the opening of Storm Front when Harry is chatting with the postman would work as well. Sets the right tone as well as being funny. I think it's a single page or two so...

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »
The first chapter of Blood Rites is a personal fav....

But I also might suggest using Our World as an introduction. AAA Wizardry is the short story at the very front. Then there is Chapter One, "Old World Order" which is  a concise description of the world before it gets into the various characters and such. It might help and doesn't need everyone to buy a novel or whatever.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »
Here's what the wiki has to offer.