Author Topic: Can changelings be turned by an RCV?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline ArcLocke

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Can changelings be turned by an RCV?
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:16:58 PM »
This question came up in my game last night, and I couldn't find a definite, canonical answer in the rulebooks (or my group's combined Dresden Files knowledge): Can a pre-Choice changeling be infected with Red Court vampirism? My gut reaction was that since they're still mortal (they have souls and everything), they can be turned into an RCV just like a regular vanilla mortal. On the other hand, though, I wondered whether their half-faerie parentage would make them immune to whatever it is that turns a mortal into an RCV.

Thoughts?

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Can changelings be turned by an RCV?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »
Really, it's up to you as GM.

Best Case Scenario?
They get some of the changeling powers and the red court powers, but they are "Cardboarded" as in the don't have enough Refresh and become NPCs

Worst Case Scenario, the too conflicting "Conditions" kill the patient.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »
As fantazero said, ultimately, it it up to you. Or rather your group. Ask them what they think would be cool to happen here.

I could see something like this be a point where the changeling is forced to choose. If he chooses faerie, that will ward off the vampire. If he chooses mortal, he will be turned into a vampire. Do or do not, there is no halfway here.

Or he becomes a thirdish...thing. Could be interesting to see what happens, if vampire and faerie and human try to fight over the dominion over his body. The unique situation of being part faerie might actually allow him to shed the vampire bits along with the faerie stuff, to get around the whole "there is no cure" issue. If you want to take it ad absurdum, add something else that is trying to transform him. And more. And more. If the player is cool with this, of course. Doesn't all have to be reflected in powers, of course, but it would be some disturbing voices in his head
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »
I'd say yes, because it seems like an interesting idea to me.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:14:34 AM »

I like that answer the most

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »
And such a character wouldn't necessarily have too much Refresh cost to be playable: the minimum refresh cost for Changelings is 0, and for Red Court Infected it's -3.

You could have something like: (EDIT: for an ogre-blooded or other physically tough faerie parent)

Addictive Saliva [-1]
Blood Drinker [-1]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
    Feeding Dependency [+1]: blood
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
 The Catch [+3]: cold iron

That's only -4 Refresh... then add a stunt to customize, and it's still viable at any power level.

(The Feeding Dependency doesn't apply to the Toughness/Recovery since those are Changeling powers, not RCI powers).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:29:12 PM by vultur »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:03:28 AM »

If you or the player don't, just say it kills them.

Offline KnightOrbis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 05:07:52 AM »
 A player in my current group had a character like that at one time, the way we explained his current state was that the two magical components in him were vying for control (represented by Demonic Co-Pilot) , which caused mood swings, very brief fits of bloodthirsty instinct, and general fun stuff that made it both easy and thematically enjoyable to compel.

We stated him up as usual with faerie powers available at all times while any vampiric abilities were governed by Feeding Dependency but chose cold iron as the most potent weakness with holy stuff as a moderate discomfort which we treated as a negative aspect instead (using slightly modified Limitation). In the end we agreed that if his vampire side weakened the Sidhe side would boot it, and vice versa.

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 02:28:37 AM »
A player in my current group had a character like that at one time, the way we explained his current state was that the two magical components in him were vying for control (represented by Demonic Co-Pilot) , which caused mood swings, very brief fits of bloodthirsty instinct, and general fun stuff that made it both easy and thematically enjoyable to compel.

We stated him up as usual with faerie powers available at all times while any vampiric abilities were governed by Feeding Dependency but chose cold iron as the most potent weakness with holy stuff as a moderate discomfort which we treated as a negative aspect instead (using slightly modified Limitation). In the end we agreed that if his vampire side weakened the Sidhe side would boot it, and vice versa.
This sounded awesome.
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey