Author Topic: Troll Help?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Trelvania

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Troll Help?
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:05:09 AM »
I am possibly thinking of running a Dresedenverse game in my home town of San Francisco. Has anyone given any thought to trolls and how they work with large bridges or are large bridges like the Golden Gate or Bay Bridge too large a structure for a troll? It's just been something hanging out in the back of my head, thought I would throw it out there for anyone's ideas or takes on the concept.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
Re: Troll Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 04:28:17 AM »
I would imagine that a troll wouldn't be interested in a bridge if it didn't have much in the way of foot traffic.  If all a bridge carried was vehicles or rail cars, not much for them to eat.  Also if the bridge was mostly made out of iron or steel, then it wouldn't be much good for a troll either.

Now if there are areas of reinforced concrete or wood, then they should work for a troll just fine.  Likewise if the bridge frequently has poor visibility due to fog, that should give trolls the opportunity to get 'takeout' when they're hungry.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Trelvania

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines as well. There just aren't any good foot bridges of those sort anywhere I can think of off the top of my head. THough there is a lot of the Bay Area I haven't explored in 40+ years here. I can think of a few good creepy places out in the Gold Rush country where they've preserved a few of those quaint covered bridges (which I completely associate with New England, not here).

I'll have to give the troll angle some more thought. Thanks for the fog fast food idea though. heh heh

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 05:08:19 AM »
An idea that I'm going to be presenting to (ok, inflicting on...) players is a pair of trolls that each attempt to dominate the same standard bridge with foot and car traffic.  The bridge itself happens to be on a straight-ish section of roadway in New Haven which passes through a park that some of the kids have started to use for late night street races. 

Naughty children, crossing a bridge are fair game per the Unseelie Accords and have to 'pay' the troll...

Also given the amount of carbon-fibre and other composites in some of the street racers to reduce weight, hitting a troll with a car might not satisfy the Catch: Iron...

So far it's going to be a green troll like Gogoth and a blue troll named Gilgoth competing for control of the bridge.

Now looking at San Francisco and some of my notes from the playtest, there are a few potential areas within Golden Gate Park which might be suitable.  It looks like there's an island in the middle of Stow Lake with two connecting footbridges which might do.  Especially if there is any potential late night foot traffic.

Also just off Medical Center Way as it passes through the Mt Sutro Open Space Reserve there is the Fairy Gates Trail...

-Cheers
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:28:09 PM by Todjaeger »
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:14:15 AM »
I am possibly thinking of running a Dresedenverse game in my home town of San Francisco. Has anyone given any thought to trolls and how they work with large bridges or are large bridges like the Golden Gate or Bay Bridge too large a structure for a troll? It's just been something hanging out in the back of my head, thought I would throw it out there for anyone's ideas or takes on the concept.
Some trolls have exchanged their traditional hunting grounds for the internets.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »

San Fransisco Trolls

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
I'm playing in a San Fran game and we made the bridge a portal to the Nevernever.  Specifically a Troll-infested region of the nevernever.

As far as I know there are paths and (hidden)underground tunnels running all around the bridge.  So while a troll might not accost someone crossing the bridge, they might do so to someone using the paths under it.