Author Topic: Feedback on star character?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline ReaderAt2046

• Participant
    • View Profile
Feedback on star character?
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »

So after listening to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7KMRBoqQUg I was inspired to create a character who was literally a shooting star. I'd like your feedback on my design, and just general thoughts.

Therefore, I give you: Bothynus!

High Concept Aspect: A Star Fell From Heaven
Trouble Aspect: Not Of This World
Background Aspect: Brighter Than A Shooting Star
Rising Trouble Aspect: Fallen To Earth.
First Story Aspect: Fill The Darkest Night With A Brilliant Light
Guest Star Aspect 1:
Guest Star Aspect 2:

5: Athletics, Weapons
4: Lore, Conviction,
3: Endurance, Discipline
2: Presence, Alertness, Performance,
1: Might, Scholarship, Survival, Investigation, 1 blank
Stresses: Mental 0/4, Physical 0/4, Social 0/3
Powers and Stunts: Breath Weapon (Light/Heat, -2), Searing Fists (use Breath Weapon for Brawling, -1), Inhuman Speed (-2), Inhuman Recovery (-2), Catch (Stone or Earth, +1), Brilliant Light (-1, Bothynus acts as a high-power light source. Can make maneuver or block rolls at Conviction+2 using this light.), Human Form (+1), covering: Supernatural Speed (-4, replaces Inhuman Speed), Flight (-1),
Adjusted Base Refresh: 1.

Some notes:

1. I left his Guest Star Aspects blank because they'll depend on the story he finds himself in.

2. Bothynus's Human Form rebate indicates that he becomes faster and gains the ability to fly by shifting into Orb Form (in which he becomes a orb of light and heat a couple of feet across).

3. Regarding his Catch, metal and most forms of glass don't trigger it, but obsidian does. I rank it total as a +2 (because finding Stone or Earth is easy, but knowing to use them isn't.)

Dr.FunLove

Re: Feedback on star character?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »
@Reader
There was a great podcast...I can't remember which one off the top of my head at the moment..that used a similar concept. The character was one of a set of fallen stars that actually formed the bow or spear of the goddess Athena. It was very cool. When I am home later, I'll try and find the podcast. It was a pretty cool game.

Also reminds me of the elf-like character from Super Mario RPG that was a fallen star.

Anyway, the sheet looks good. I also think the High Concept is going to make for great interplay with your potential group. Wishing upon a star and all right? ;)

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »
At first I thought it was a nod to Stardust by Neil Gaimain, but the fallen star you use would be a lot more warrioresque than the one in Stardust.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »
A pretty cool idea. Very combat centric though.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
Maybe he/she is a battletar...eh oh!

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:38:12 AM »
I'm away from books at the moment, so forgive me for asking: what actual benefit is Searing Fists providing?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 12:42:40 AM »
I'm away from books at the moment, so forgive me for asking: what actual benefit is Searing Fists providing?

He can use Discipline at Weapon:2 for up close things. Which is probably redundant; I think that Breath Weapon is up to one zone away.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
Actual People Actual Play had a Gaimainian fallen star from the bow of Athena.
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 07:59:04 AM »
@Patch
Yes! That was the podcast I had mentioned in my above comments. That was a very interesting game they had going on, I really had enjoyed listening to it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »
He can use Discipline at Weapon:2 for up close things. Which is probably redundant; I think that Breath Weapon is up to one zone away.

You mean Weapons?

And yeah, it's redundant.