Author Topic: Idea for Power: Centuries of Experience  (Read 1374 times)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Idea for Power: Centuries of Experience
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:11:56 AM »
I know there was a very similar thread about this before, but I came up with my own idea and want to know what people thing.  This would be a way to model characters that have lived a very long time and should be considerably more skilled because of it.  I know Aspects are a great thing for this, but I wanted to try another way.

Centuries of Experience
Cost: -1 refresh, must have high concept related to longevity, skill points
Leave a number of skill points unspent.  These unspent skill points become a pool of Experience Points, available each session.  Your skills must sill follow a pyramid.  Before any skill roll, you may instead to choose a number of experience points and use that value instead.  Example: Spending 6 experience points would mean you rolled as if your skill were Fantastic, instead of whatever its actual value is.  Once experience points are spent, they are unavailable until the next time you Refresh.  You may not spend more experience points than your campaign's skill cap+2 on a single roll.

What do you guys/gals thing?  I know spending skill points for a power is unconventional (this is sort of a Fate Core approach, although not directly), but I think it works nicely.  Of course, invoking aspects may be more cost effective.  I do think that this could possibly made a -0 power.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for Power: Centuries of Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 03:27:43 AM »
I like the general idea, but it seems weak. If I'm playing Chest Deep and I leave half of my skill points unspent, I only get five Good rolls? Doesn't seem like enough.

I guess how powerful this is really depends on how much dice-rolling the group likes to do. Groups which only roll when things are really really important would find this more powerful.

Still, I feel like this could be stronger without breaking anything.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:58:30 AM »
What about a refresh cost of 1 and two experience points per scene?  So I have a number of flexible skill points per session, and two extra per scene.  This means that I'm guaranteed at least a Fair roll per scene.

Alternately, I was thinking half the number of unspent skill points per scene.  Or twice the number of unspent skill points per session.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:06:40 AM by InFerrumVeritas »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 05:08:24 AM »
I like the idea of giving 2 xp/scene.

In fact, I'm not sure you need the unspent skill points mechanic at all. You could probably just buy xp/scene with Refresh.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:52 AM »
I like the idea of giving 2 xp/scene.

In fact, I'm not sure you need the unspent skill points mechanic at all. You could probably just buy xp/scene with Refresh.

That's probably true, but I don't think it hurts to leave it as an option.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:41:30 AM »
Alright.

If you want me to add this to the list, just post the latest version to one of the custom Power threads on the Resource board.