Author Topic: Does "Calm Blue Ocean" work on Hunger rolls?  (Read 2093 times)

Magicpockets

Does "Calm Blue Ocean" work on Hunger rolls?
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »
The Calm Blue Ocean stunt grants +2 to Discipline rolls for keeping emotions in check. Does Feeding Dependency induced Hunger count as an emotion for the purpose of this stunt?

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
Re: Does "Calm Blue Ocean" work on Hunger rolls?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »
Up to your GM/Table really.

Did the player take the Stunt with the understanding that it would? Does the GM feel it's a bit too powerful if it does?

Personally, I wouldn't allow Calm Blue Ocean to affect Hunger as a GM. However, I would certainly be fine with a custom Stunt - based on Calm Blue Ocean - to be taken that only affects Hunger. I just wouldn't let the one stunt do double-duty. But I am a less permissive GM in that sense, other GMs would be totally fine with it. The support for that would be page 190 "Highly stressful or emotional situations can still trigger your need to feed" (main book). Suggesting Hunger is emotional.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:49:34 PM by Wolfhound »
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »
I probably would allow it - for the simple fact that the initial stunt probably wouldn't get a heck of a lot of use otherwise. But again, up to the GM.

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »
I probably would allow it - for the simple fact that the initial stunt probably wouldn't get a heck of a lot of use otherwise. But again, up to the GM.

You're kidding, right?

In a game where there are vampires that can cause you to experience emotion in order to attack you, to manipulate you, to block you... Calm Blue Ocean is awesome.

Hunger is not an emotion, by the way.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
... In a game where there are vampires that can cause you to experience emotion in order to attack you, to manipulate you, to block you... Calm Blue Ocean is awesome.

Indeed. Our players and in our game we have found Calm Blue Ocean to be one of the better Stunts. "Bang for the buck" - but we do have lots of emotion affecting NPCs/Antagonists running around (more than just White Court).
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 04:09:56 AM »
You're kidding, right?

In a game where there are vampires that can cause you to experience emotion in order to attack you, to manipulate you, to block you... Calm Blue Ocean is awesome.

Hunger is not an emotion, by the way.
What is the percentage of attacks in the game as a whole that stem from/through emotions? For me, to qualify as awesome, it should at least be a quarter of the time for a stunt.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:12:05 AM by toturi »
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 04:57:46 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't allow Calm Blue Ocean to affect Hunger as a GM. However, I would certainly be fine with a custom Stunt - based on Calm Blue Ocean - to be taken that only affects Hunger.

If you're contemplating taking a Stunt to augment your Hunger defense or Hunger stress track, you'd be better off simply buying off the rebate and leaving the remaining effects of your Hunger in the narrative hands of Compels.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »
If you're contemplating taking a Stunt to augment your Hunger defense or Hunger stress track, you'd be better off simply buying off the rebate and leaving the remaining effects of your Hunger in the narrative hands of Compels.

This is a good point, actually.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 02:34:53 AM »

My thoughts exactly.  It also means that you don't have to deal with the sort of wonky hunger mechanics.

Offline FaerieGodfather

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 03:34:56 AM »
Similar question. Does it work to resist the mental stress from using the Sight?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 04:01:30 AM »
I don't think so.

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 05:38:28 AM »
Similar question. Does it work to resist the mental stress from using the Sight?
Of course.

If you're especially good at keeping your cool mentally, why wouldn't it apply to seeing something mind boggling?
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 06:00:21 AM »
Of course.

If you're especially good at keeping your cool mentally, why wouldn't it apply to seeing something mind boggling?

Calm Blue Ocean means you're better at keeping control of your emotions. 

From YS151
Calm Blue Ocean: You are skilled at keeping your emotions in check. Gain +2 to Discipline when rolling to keep emotions under control.

On using the Sight (YS223) the Discipline roll is to defend against the strain of Seeing the true nature of things.  The ability to keep calm IMO wouldn't really help with something like that.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5: