Author Topic: Demonic Co-Pilot Rewrite  (Read 1742 times)

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Demonic Co-Pilot Rewrite
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
So during my game one of my players suggested putting Demonic Co-Pilot on an NPC because it would fit the character concept well. I'd never really looked at the ability before, but now that I have I feel it could be so much more than it is. DCP is based on the Denarians, which I feel encompasses a whole lot more than just transformation, so I've added a few things to make this more accurate. I've also had a look at the custom powers thread but I don't think that version works particularly well. So here is my attempt.

Demonic Co-Pilot [-VARIES]
Description: You have a spiritual parasite living in your mind, bringing its baggage along with it. This may come with a variety of benefits, but always comes at a cost.
Musts: You must have an Aspect reflecting this Power. You must take at least one ability linked to this Power. You may not take this power more than once.
Skills Affected: Many.
Effects:
Arcane Advisor: The spirit living in your mind has a lifespan measured in centuries rather than decades, and has gathered a wealth of knowledge and experience over the course its lifetime. This allows it to act as a workspace (as detailed on YS140). You may ask the entity questions up to Superb rating for the cost of 1 point of Sponsor Debt.
Sponsored Powers: On top of the knowledge the spirit possesses, it may also choose to grant you access to a variety of powers within its purview. Choose which powers you wish to take from the Creature Features, Minor Abilities, Nevernever Powers, Psychic Abilities, some Shapeshifting abilities, Speed, Strength, Recovery, and Toughness categories. Sponsored Magic is also available, though regular spellcasting powers are not.
Sponsor Debt: Many aspects of this power work hand in hand with the Sponsor Debt mechanic (YS289). If Sponsored Magic is taken as a Power, the Sponsor Debt mechanic is merged with this Power.
The First Taste is Free: Some spirits may be willing to give access to a single power without attached Sponsor Debt as a way of gaining the person's trust and/or reliance. As seen in the DEAD BEAT casefile, use of this 'free' power may come with other consequences such as allowing communication between spirit and host.
The Price of Power: Every time you use a power linked to Demonic Co-Pilot, the spirit accrues 1 point of Sponsor Debt, which may then be exchanged for compels on a 1:1 basis according to the spirit's agenda. The spirit is also able to deny use of any power, should it wish to.
The Struggle for Control: If the spirit so chooses, it may exchange any Sponsor Debt it has stored for a mental attack (defend with Discipline) with a strength equal to the number of Debt Points exchanged. If the character is Taken Out by this attack, he becomes permanently possessed by the spirit.

I've designed this power to be a double edged sword in a big way. It has access to the majority of powers, though I would leave it up to the GM's decision as to which powers a given spirit would be able to impart. Arcane Advisor is the greater of the two benefits it has, in my opinion, since it is essentially a portable superb workspace, which makes for a very broad spectrum of possible declarations.

I wanted to work in Item of Power somewhere as a way to tie this in to the Denarians more, but then I figured it would work the opposite way around. Take Item of Power with Demonic Co-Pilot as one of the imparted abilities.

The First Taste is Free is meant to portray the slippery slope. Get the victim used to your power, so you can deny it later or lead it further down the slippery slope. In Harry's case this would have been portrayed with hellfire, which Lash then used via compels to make Harry angrier, which could then be used to later make him break a Law. Slippery slope.

The Price of Power and the Struggle for Control are two sides of the same coin, really. I like the idea of the spirit being able to decide between short term goals, such as throwing the character into situations where they may need to buy more powers (or temporary powers), or long term ones that would allow it possession over the character. This would be especially good for characters that are used over multiple campaigns or over one long campaign as the spirit would be able to acquire a lot of Sponsor Debt over that time. Could lead to some interesting situations where the PC is unwilling to rely on the powers he's grown accustomed to using, while frantically searching for a way to get rid of the spirit in some way.

So what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:20:37 AM by PirateJack »
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Demonic Co-Pilot Rewrite
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »
It looks cool, but two things - one large and one small.

The small: About the IoP - In OW all Denarians have a note saying that while the powers come from a coin, the coin is only separable from the wearer by death or conscious choice, thus it doesn't have any of the drawbacks that's the source of the rebate from IoP, so no point in making it one.

The larger: I think the premise of "DCP is based on the Denarians" is incorrect. None of the Denarians are statted with Demonic Co-Pilot. What DCP is based on is actually the Hexenwolf. It's even stated pretty straight up in the sidebar next to the power, and it's specifically mentioned under Hexenwolf in OW (p93). The only place it's in use in OW is for Agent Benn, the other Hexenwolves refer back to her statblock.

That said, I really like the concept you have going here! I'm really not experienced enough to say anything about if it's balanced or not, but the concept is cool, and could really explain someone like Ursiel. I like how you tied the various parts of it directly to Harry's experiences.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »
I like it as well:

I think you need to be more specific with The First Taste is Free

It seems very vague to me.  How much refresh worth of powers can I access for free?  At what point do they get withdrawn? etc...

I don't like the consequences attached to the number of scenes.  Just have any consequences invoked.  It just gives the spirit that much more leverage on the character in its attempt to take him out.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
The only things I really consider necessary to represent Demonic Co-pilot are access to sponsor debt (and the resulting Compels), and an appropriate character aspect.  That's it.  Nothing else.

I cost this at [N/A], meaning that it's not even worth losing a Pure Mortal bonus, if the character retains that.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline dplanken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
I love the rewrite, I might use that in my game. I do wonder how many FP it should cost.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »
It looks cool, but two things - one large and one small.

The small: About the IoP - In OW all Denarians have a note saying that while the powers come from a coin, the coin is only separable from the wearer by death or conscious choice, thus it doesn't have any of the drawbacks that's the source of the rebate from IoP, so no point in making it one.

Gotcha. I don't like OW very much so I don't pay much attention to it. Too many skillsets that don't make sense or custom powers that are severely unbalanced.

The larger: I think the premise of "DCP is based on the Denarians" is incorrect. None of the Denarians are statted with Demonic Co-Pilot. What DCP is based on is actually the Hexenwolf. It's even stated pretty straight up in the sidebar next to the power, and it's specifically mentioned under Hexenwolf in OW (p93). The only place it's in use in OW is for Agent Benn, the other Hexenwolves refer back to her statblock.

My bad. Again, since I don't pay much attention to OW I missed the Hexenwulfen bit.

That said, I really like the concept you have going here! I'm really not experienced enough to say anything about if it's balanced or not, but the concept is cool, and could really explain someone like Ursiel. I like how you tied the various parts of it directly to Harry's experiences.

Yeah, well, I had the Denarians in mind through the whole thing. Maybe I should rename it to something else to signify that it's not the Hexenwulfen thing.

I like it as well:

I think you need to be more specific with The First Taste is Free

It seems very vague to me.  How much refresh worth of powers can I access for free?  At what point do they get withdrawn? etc...

I've left that intentionally vague because I want to leave it up to the GM. Harry gained Sponsored Magic as his free taste, which is about as high a refresh cost as any of the powers regular PCs get (Mythic Whatever and the likes is something I'd keep for NPCS only).

I don't like the consequences attached to the number of scenes.  Just have any consequences invoked.  It just gives the spirit that much more leverage on the character in its attempt to take him out.

Yeah, I'm not so sure on that myself either. I think I'll edit to make it an all or nothing thing. Lash never possessed Harry outright, after all, and Nicodemus' order to paralyse him could easily be explained by an attempted Compel on Sponsor Debt.

The only things I really consider necessary to represent Demonic Co-pilot are access to sponsor debt (and the resulting Compels), and an appropriate character aspect.  That's it.  Nothing else.

I cost this at [N/A], meaning that it's not even worth losing a Pure Mortal bonus, if the character retains that.

I have it as more than that because the spirit acts as an advisor as well as a method of gaining powers. Hence the Superb workspace.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:42:08 PM »
I have it as more than that because the spirit acts as an advisor as well as a method of gaining powers. Hence the Superb workspace.

I have, in the past, simply represented this by taking Sponsor Debt to boost the relevant rolls.
It seemed to work just fine.
If the character in question relies more on such advise, or if the spirit exerts more of their influence in this manner, such that you feel it deserves a greater spotlight than would be possible through this method, then I would suggest representing it as its own power (or stunt), purchased with Refresh as normal.  If the spirit later denies access to that advise, I would represent that event through Compels.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:39:07 AM »
I have, in the past, simply represented this by taking Sponsor Debt to boost the relevant rolls.
It seemed to work just fine.
If the character in question relies more on such advise, or if the spirit exerts more of their influence in this manner, such that you feel it deserves a greater spotlight than would be possible through this method, then I would suggest representing it as its own power (or stunt), purchased with Refresh as normal.  If the spirit later denies access to that advise, I would represent that event through Compels.

That works well enough. This is simply my attempt to codify the relationship between a spiritual parasite (whether Shadow, Fallen or otherwise) and its host. I took the Denarians as a base for it, but this could easily be used as a template for other such relationships, or hell, as a basis for a Mantle power in line with Cold Days.