Author Topic: Newbies ask the darnest things  (Read 41003 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Newbies ask the darnest things
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:01 AM »
#taking an action initiating the grapple
Just like how it works currently: you just tag the aspect then perform the grapple/block.

The difference with this method is you can do more than just block (since that's done automatically), you can do a maneuver or attack etc...

So it's part of your action, but it doesn't use up your action.

That's more powerful than what's in canon. Might be abusable.

Although, now I'm seeing how this method can be abused.  If you have a high Might+Supernatural STR, you could tag an aspect and set up an Epic block on a wizard without even having to roll dice.  Granted, this block doesn't impede/block the wizards ability to blast you...so maybe that's the balancing factor...dunno.

I don't think that's too terrible. You can do something similar in canon, after all.

#Free tags:
Anyone NOT in the grapple, I'd think?  I'd be happy to do away with this, but I just figured there's lot of things that people outside the grapple could do to people who are stuck in a grapple.  I just figured it'd be easiest to model the "disadvantage" of being locked in a grapple is by using an aspect.

I don't think that's a good idea. Tags go away when used, so if opposing characters both have access to one then it creates a perverse incentive for each character to use the tags before their opponents can.

I suggest making the Aspects non-taggable. People could still Invoke them, of course.

Offline Dracorex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2013, 06:55:38 AM »
Quick question: If I have a wizard who's a better item-craftsman make an enchanted object for his apprentice's use, the item is -1 strength and uses the same number of slots as it would have for the maker, and that's all, right?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
Yes

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »
Not sure exactly what you're asking.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »
It would be -1 one if you didn't have a slot for it.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2013, 08:55:41 PM »
It uses the creators slot even if someone else uses it and in order to do so the items power is dropped by -1

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
How many Enchanted Item slots must Luccio have then eh? Or are Warden swords just super special? If a person has a slot, that item should be able to fill that slot not the original creator.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »
Those swords dont really follow any crafting rules so i ignore them.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
Or, one could make a slight adjustment that doesn't directly contravene the rules and thus they make sense? That's how I read YS278-282 anyway.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2013, 10:03:42 PM »
Even if you let people use other people's items at full strength, the Warden swords still break the rules.

Anyway, the rules don't say anything one way or the other. It's up to the GM.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
@Sanctaphrax
#Warden Sword
Assuming the stats are right (I used the Luccio modeled in the Resource section) then the double effects are what are bought with the Item Slots - the strength and frequency of the item itself comes straight from Luccio. I guess one can say that having a multiple effect item is against the rules? Not sure about that right this second but that is how I would explain the Warden Sword based on the rules/what we know.

#Giving away Items
Agreed!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »
If each effect was purchased with a separate item slot, they'd each have their own pool of uses. They share the same pool.

I think the second slot was spent on the extra two uses.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2013, 10:14:35 PM »
@Sanctaphrax
Well that very much depends on that statting of Luccio. Last time this came up in a thread, I looked at it what stats we have on the boards for her and it seemed to line up with my suggestion at the time. The only way I could explain them sharing the same frequency pool would be an attempt at balance on the writers part.

Anyway, as has been said often, it's a funky item.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2013, 10:21:32 PM »
Not sure what Luccio's stats have to do with whether her swords follow the rules.

Unless you're saying she has some kind of special power that makes the Warden sword possible? There's an entry on the Sponsored Magic list that was intended to make that possible (Superior Crafting) but I don't think Deadmanwalking's Luccio has it.

The only way I could explain them sharing the same frequency pool would be an attempt at balance on the writers part.

That may have been the reason.

Regardless, the item isn't following the normal item rules. You can't explain it without invoking special item rules that aren't actually written in either book.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »
@Sanctaphrax
Her Lore plus her crafting bonuses as justification for the strength/frequency of the effects. Two Item slots for each effect. That's how I would justify it based on normal rules. As you say though, there is still hinkiness. Got it? Good.