Author Topic: Question about Thresholds  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Rathorne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Question about Thresholds
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:14:35 AM »
I'm involved in a game where the following scenario came up. The group needs to get someone inside an NPC's home to do some magical snooping. They wanted to somehow enter without encountering the "crossing a threshold uninvited" problem. While discussing ideas, the question arose about whether the following would work: Let's say that somehow one of the characters could safely transform himself into an animal small enough to hide upon the NPC (let's say a flea on a jacket for the sake of the scenario). If the NPC walked across the threshold of his home while unknowingly carrying this character, is the character considered invited in? The rationale was that the home owner (the NPC) did the carrying, so the character should be considered invited.

Please assume that the transformation is safely possible by the character. Whether the transformation is possible or how much refresh the character mush have to be able to do it isn't the point of my question. Also please assume being uninvited would either disrupt things enough to either cause the transformation to end, or limit the character's abilities enough that the magical snooping would not be able to happen.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Thresholds
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:37:40 AM »
I think conscious intent is a big part of the invitation process, so I'd lean towards 'no' unless presented with a compelling argument to the contrary.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 04:57:27 AM »
Have to agree with Tedronai.  You'll need to talk a maid or someone into inviting you in.  Maybe just show up as the cable guy...just make sure you break the cable first.  ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:08:31 AM »
Make that 3 votes for conscious intent being required.

That said, if you happened to shapeshift into a cuddly puppy and do the "look what followed me home!" act, I would say that being carried in would count as invited in that case, because the person *knows* they're bringing a puppy inside, even if they don't know what the puppy really is.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 05:17:51 AM »
I don't think most maids would have invitation privileges (unless they're live-in).

EOD has a good suggestion, though.  If you've got the juice to be insect-tiny, you can probably manage cuddly.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
I don't think most maids would have invitation privileges (unless they're live-in).
The maid has presumably been invited in, I tend to think that would suffice for a normal threshold.  If you've set up a keyed ward it wouldn't - you'd need said key.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Of course the maid has been invited in, that doesn't give the ability to in turn invite others. Only residents can do that.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:18:57 PM »
I'd agree that the resident would need to knowingly invite or bring you inside.

Although, imagine the fun of shrinking down, being brought across the threshold, and popping back to your normal form as soon as the threshold cuts off your power.  :P

Offline Rathorne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 01:57:41 AM »
Thanks for your opinions. I tend to agree with you all, which is why I ended up shooting the idea down (it's my character if not my idea) and went with Plan Q. Which blew up. *sighs*