Author Topic: Werewolves reboot  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Werewolves reboot
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »
This is complete version of my houserules for "werewolves' superpower" in DF-verse. I used some ideas of Mersy-verse, nWoD, Codex Alera and some my own rules (they will be marked *). If someone find it usefull, I would be glad) And of couse, I want to thank Deadmanwalking, who explained rules and give the character example.
Let's start.
(all
  • flaws is common for any werewolf)
Werewolf by default:
Supernatural Constitution (Long Life) [–0]
Echoes of the Beast [–1]
Pack Mentality [–3]* (In addition to the RAW-effects of Pack Instinkt they can feel rough condition and location of all members of the pack. Any social and mental attaks, which use supernatural abilities is always faul, exept of some epic enimies at the discretion of DM).
Supernatural Sense [–1] (they "smell" magic, but can't recognize it - they can "smell" that someone have mgic powers, but won't know, is it Sponsored or True Magic)
Human Form [+2] (Cuz changing of form takes about 10 minutes and make them pain) affects:
Beast Change [–1]
Claws [–1]
Cloak of Shadows [–1]
Involuntary Change (Full moon) [+1] Werewolves can shapeshift when they want, but one night per month they must shapeshift.
Inhuman Toughness [–2]
The Catch [+3]: silver. Silver weapon ingnoring Armor, and effects Fast Recovery and Shrug It Off (not Total Recovery).
Feeding Dependency (Meat) [+1] affects:
Inhuman Speed [–2]
Inhuman Strength [–2]
Inhuman Recovery [–2]
Total Refresh Cost: – 9.

Enforcer:
As the "basic" but
Supernatural Strength [-4] and Toughness [-4]
Bless of Fenris [-2] (my development):
Once per chapter werewolf can use this  ability and change a roll-results of any roll, which is used for damage to the enemy (from  throwing stones to firing) for the rest of scene ("-"-marked would be counted as "blanked" dice. For example roll-results +-+0 would be counted as +0+0).

Scout:
As the "basic" but
Supernatural Speed and Recovery
Bless of Trickster [-2]*:
Once per chapter werewolf can use this  ability and change a rollresults of any roll the deceit of their enemy  for the rest of scene ("-"-marked would be counted as "blanked" dice. For example roll-results +-+0 would be counted as +0+0).

Shaman:
As the "basic" but
One Supernatural [-2] physical power by gamer's choise, Worldwalker[-2]
Some Magic School [-3]
(Werewolves need some original and charismatic magical ability, but I 'm not sure what it must be. May be something like Mysticism or Shamanismof RuneQuest). May be usual Evocation or Thaumaturgy.

Alpha:
In addition to basic forms and abilityie, she can use Loup-Gauru-like forms with template:
Echoes of the Beast [–1]
Pack Mentality [–3]
Supernatural Sense [–1]
Human Form [+2] affects:
Beast Change [–1]
Claws [–1]
Supernatural Toughness [–4]
Feeding Dependency (Meat) [+1] affects:
Supernatural Speed [–4]
Supernatural Strength [–4]
Supernatural Recovery [–4]
Also, Predator's charm [-2]* (any social roll has 0-instead-"-").
Organisation issues:
Basic unit of society wolf's society is a pack. It's not juat a gung or bunch of friends, but the second (for some wolves - first) family, which sealed by mystical bonds. It's not easy relations, with hierarchy and problems, but they wery strong.
In usual packs (15-40 "basic" werewolves) there is a warriors (5-6 Scouts and Enforcers), 1-2 Shamans and Alpha, and all of them obey to Packmasters (who gowern some middle areas) with their Noble pack (10-20 really strong and experienced werewolves). At the top of the pyramid - Elders (from seweral ages to 1000+ yeras old), who governs all werewolves within the some big area (for example, American South or Middle West) and their Royal pack.

Population size:
Something about 1 werewolf/100000 mortals.
Also they have many allies and vassals (shapeshifters, Lycanthrops, spirits and others).

Distribution:
They are widely spread over the world, but prefer or megapolisyb or provincial towns and villages.

Social status:
Different, but they prefer something "agressive" - army, police, Secret Service or MES.
At the end, there is around 10-20 warriors per 60-80 "basic", 1 Packmaster control 5-6 usual pack, and 1 Royal pack control 3-4 Noble pack.
Also, I have some ideas about their background.
So, is their powerful enought to be the real rival for other kinds?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:04:30 PM by Tirs »
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Werewolves reboot
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »
There are some mechanical issues here.

First, it's not clear which Powers are affected by Human Form. Is Inhuman Strength? How about the Scout's Bless Of Trickster?

Second, you've used a couple of canon Powers in sketchy ways. I quote:

Human Form [+2] (Cuz changing of form takes about 10 minutes and make them pain)

Involuntary Change (Full moon) [+1] Werewolves can shapeshift when they want, but one night per month they must shapeshift.

The Catch [+3]: silver. Silver weapon ingnoring Armor, and effects Fast Recovery and Shrug It Off (not Total Recovery).

The Catch should apply to all Toughness and Recovery effects. You can't leave parts out.

Also, increasing the value of Human Form like that seems a little iffy to me. Having to transform once/month is pretty trivial compared to the hassle Lycanthropes get for the same rebate. And I dunno whether a lengthy and unpleasant transformation is worth a full Refresh.

Third, I'm not too certain about those custom Powers. Again, I quote:

Pack Mentality [–3]* (In addition to the RAW-effects of Pack Instinkt they can feel rough condition and location of all members of the pack. Any social and mental attaks, which use supernatural abilities is always faul, exept of some epic enimies at the discretion of DM).

Bless of Fenris [-2] (my development):
Once per chapter werewolf can use this  ability and change a roll-results of any roll, which is used for damage to the enemy (from  throwing stones to firing) for the rest of scene ("-"-marked would be counted as "blanked" dice. For example roll-results +-+0 would be counted as +0+0).

Bless of Trickster [-2]*:
Once per chapter werewolf can use this  ability and change a rollresults of any roll the deceit of their enemy  for the rest of scene ("-"-marked would be counted as "blanked" dice. For example roll-results +-+0 would be counted as +0+0).

Also, Predator's charm [-2]* (any social roll has 0-instead-"-").

Pack Mentality strikes me as overpriced, but I can't be sure because I don't understand the bit about social and mental attacks.

The other three Powers are just kind of odd. What's a chapter? And why fiddle with the dice instead of just adding a bonus?

My instinctive reaction is that Predator's Charm is too good and Bless Of Trickster isn't good enough, but I could very easily be wrong.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »
OK) Let's see...
First, it's not clear which Powers are affected by Human Form. Is Inhuman Strength? How about the Scout's Bless Of Trickster?
Human form affected only:
Beast Change [–1]
Claws [–1]
Cloak of Shadows [–1]
Other abilities available in both forms (like in Mersyverse).
Also, increasing the value of Human Form like that seems a little iffy to me. Having to transform once/month is pretty trivial compared to the hassle Lycanthropes get for the same rebate. And I dunno whether a lengthy and unpleasant transformation is worth a full Refresh.
I think yes, cuz it don't let them transform directly in combat. And Involuntary Change is RAW reason to add 1 faithpoint.
but I can't be sure because I don't understand the bit about social and mental attacks.
I mean, it give them immunity to any mindscrew abilities, like Domination.
The other three Powers are just kind of odd. What's a chapter? And why fiddle with the dice instead of just adding a bonus?

My instinctive reaction is that Predator's Charm is too good and Bless Of Trickster isn't good enough, but I could very easily be wrong.
And this is the bonuses. I take rules "8 again" and "9 again" from nWoD as basis. It means, that Enforcer use this rules for any rolls of Fists, Guns, Weapon or for example, Might (if it directed on harm his enemy), and Scout can use it for Burglary, Stealth or Deceit.
Alpha is a big guy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:48:45 AM by Tirs »
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:00:10 AM »
OK) Let's see...Human form affected only:
Beast Change [–1]
Claws [–1]
Cloak of Shadows [–1]

So the werewolves can't use their "transform into a wolf" ability unless they've transformed into a wolf beforehand? That seems kinda weird.

Incidentally, you can't attach a +3 Human Form to 3 Refresh of abilities. The rebate must always be smaller than the cost of the affected Powers.

I think yes, cuz it don't let them transform directly in combat. And Involuntary Change is RAW reason to add 1 faithpoint.

If you read the Rare/Involuntary Change upgrade's text, you'll notice it doesn't cover situations like this one.

I mean, it give them immunity to any mindscrew abilities, like Domination.

Oh.

In that case, it's probably too good. Complete protection against all magical mental attack is a pretty big deal.

And this is the bonuses. I take rules "8 again" and "9 again" from nWoD as basis. It means, that Enforcer use this rules for any rolls of Fists, Guns, Weapon or for example, Might (if it directed on harm his enemy), and Scout can use it for Burglary, Stealth or Deceit.

Okay, but...why use such a strange method of adding to rolls instead of just adding a number?

Alpha is a big guy.

Not sure what you mean by that.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:12:24 AM »
So the werewolves can't use their "transform into a wolf" ability unless they've transformed into a wolf beforehand? That seems kinda weird.

Heh

Incidentally, you can't attach a +3 Human Form to 3 Refresh of abilities. The rebate must always be smaller than the cost of the affected Powers.

If you read the Rare/Involuntary Change upgrade's text, you'll notice it doesn't cover situations like this one.

True
Quote from: YS 176
Rare or Involuntary Change [+1]. If you are only rarely able to take your powered form (due to involuntary change, rare times of the day or month or year, etc.), you regain two points of refresh for taking this ability, instead of one. The total cost of the abilities affected by the Human Form must be greater than the amount of refresh points paid back by this effect. So to get this version of Human Form, it must affect at least 3 refresh points’ worth of powers

The fact that you have them changing whenever they want and once per month isn't good for the refresh. If you had them only changing once per month they would get two refresh back but again you need to take at least -1 refresh for powers and rebates.

Oh.

In that case, it's probably too good. Complete protection against all magical mental attack is a pretty big deal.

Again, true

Okay, but...why use such a strange method of adding to rolls instead of just adding a number?

This power makes it so that they can't roll below zero. I feel it may be overpowered. Especially for an entire battle.

EDIT: at least for enforcers
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:14:23 AM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »
But intresting :)

May be you right. May be it's better to add one of Inhuman phisical abilities.
You know, it's cost as True Magic. Withaout this ability, werewolves would be just slaves of other creatures.
This power makes it so that they can't roll below zero. I feel it may be overpowered. Especially for an entire battle.
It's need the test) And this ability only for rare "big bad wolves", who have no magic tricks. Pure fight machine.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »

There are cannon stunts that "lock down" dice.  Why not model it after that...

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
You know, it's cost as True Magic. Withaout this ability, werewolves would be just slaves of other creatures.

And you are pulling this from where? I understand that you might be getting some information from other sources but per Dresden RPG this cant happen easily as far as I know.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »
May be you right. May be it's better to add one of Inhuman phisical abilities. You know, it's cost as True Magic. Withaout this ability, werewolves would be just slaves of other creatures.

I don't think that's so. Pretty much nothing in the Dresdenverse has mental defence Powers by canon, and yet most of the Dresdenverse doesn't get enslaved much.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
I don't think that's so. Pretty much nothing in the Dresdenverse has mental defence Powers by canon, and yet most of the Dresdenverse doesn't get enslaved much.
Сuz fairy and wizards has their magic. Other creatures are more or less subordinate to them. I just constructed werewolves as another superpower of DF-verse. ;)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:36:28 AM »
Um. You've made the werewolves completely immune to mental attack. For 3 refresh that does other things. Mental immunity alone costs in the realm of 8 refresh. The pack thing is ridiculously overpowered for the refresh. Even if you have a Catch of "mundane mental assault", it, at best, the mental immunity you propose would cost 6 refresh with the Stacked Catch rebate.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
Werewolf by default:
Supernatural Constitution (Long Life) [–0]
Echoes of the Beast [–1]
Advanced Pack Instincts [–3]* (Same as Pack Instincts with: Use highest defense of the pack to defend against any social and mental attacks which use supernatural abilities ie. Magic).
Supernatural Sense [–1] Smell Magic
Human Form w/ Involuntary Change [+2]  affects:
     Beast Change [–1]
     Claws [–1]
     Cloak of Shadows [–1]
     Inhuman Speed [–2]
The Catch [+3]: Silver.
     Inhuman Toughness [–2]
     Inhuman Recovery [–2]
Feeding Dependency (Meat) [+1]:
     Inhuman Strength [–2]
Total Refresh Cost: –10.

Tried to fix this a little. It is now more clear which refunds affect which powers. Not sure about Advanced Pack Instincts. It may be underpowered or overpowered but its definitly not as bad as originally proposed.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »
Сuz fairy and wizards has their magic. Other creatures are more or less subordinate to them. I just constructed werewolves as another superpower of DF-verse. ;)

Um, no?

Vampires and other such monsters are not subordinate to the fey or the White Council.

And magic doesn't actually protect you from mind control. At least not automatically.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Um, no?

Vampires and other such monsters are not subordinate to the fey or the White Council.

And magic doesn't actually protect you from mind control. At least not automatically.
Wouldnt it be...automagically?  :P

Also yea, I dont know where you got that idea Tirs.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 01:27:13 PM »
Cuz they have they own magic, not to mention the strong society and a lot of uberunits) But, for examples, most of ghouls are servants of Red Court.
You know, I wont to make werewolves' society the superpower, which can compete against Vampires' or Fairy courts, or White Council. Like... OK like Forsakens in eraly nWoD (in new redactions vampire was too much improving, and now those werewolves too weak... yet).
 So, may be you right - this ability is too strong. In this case, I think, that werewolves need more shamans.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:29:45 PM by Tirs »