Author Topic: Puzzle Enemies  (Read 1203 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Puzzle Enemies
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
How would you do a puzzle boss with this system, for example a giant opponent that can only be damaged from the inside which means getting yourself swallowed and doing a fantastic voyage to attack its heart.

Or an enemy that requires plot devices hidden around the city to destroy like the Canopic jars in the Mummy.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:11:35 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle Bossess
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:33:31 PM »
'Zoom out' on your action until actions and exchanges have a meaningful effect.

Use systems other than the conflict rules for most of the action.

If it doesn't have an interesting success and an interesting failure, don't bother rolling.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ReaderAt2046

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle Enemies
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »

I'd suggest that in most cases you can just give the boss Physical Immunity with a zero-point Catch representing whatever puzzle you have to solve (i.e. "Catch: Immunity can be revoked by destroying X doodad.")

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle Enemies
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
I'd suggest that in most cases you can just give the boss Physical Immunity with a zero-point Catch representing whatever puzzle you have to solve (i.e. "Catch: Immunity can be revoked by destroying X doodad.")
for that matter you can tie all kinds of boss abilities to various doodads, so that technically your table has the options of battling a fully powered ridiculously hard boss, or complete parts of the puzzle to weaken him in various ways. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain