Author Topic: Updating The Wiki  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Updating The Wiki
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »
Finished the Stunt section. Will get back to Powers tomorrow.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 03:03:23 AM »
Okay, the Powers page is just too damn laggy. Seems either Wikispaces or my laptop can't handle a page that big.

I'm splitting it up into category pages.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 04:09:33 AM »
Finished splitting up the Powers page.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 06:41:50 AM »
Turned every Power name into a link to a page for the Power. Most of those pages are still empty, though.

Anyway, I'd like to revise the front page and navigation bar tomorrow or the next day. Here's what I have planned for the front page:

Welcome to the Dresden Files Role Playing Game Resources Wiki!

This Wiki is intended to organize, store and present fan-made material for the Dresden Files RPG.

Introduction To The Dresden RPG: A spoiler-free introduction to the RPG.

Aspects: A compiled list of Aspects, sorted by type.

Characters: A list of characters that ranges from the serious to the absurd. Useful for both PC and NPC inspiration.

Downloads: DFRPG-related things that you can download.

Examples: Example combats. Example ward building. Example item crafting. Includes both actual play and examples designed for teaching newbies.

House Rules: Rules changes and player-designed sub-systems for handling all sorts of things.

Powers: Phenomenal Custom Powers! (Itty Bitty Refresh!)

Stunts: "The rules are more like guidelines, anyway."

Templates: Player-made templates to supplement those found in Your Story.

Travel Guide: A guide to the Cities and Locations of Earth and the Nevernever.

The categories on the front page would also be used for the navigation bar.

Does that sound like a good plan to everyone?

Is there anything on the list that you think doesn't belong? Is there anything missing?

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
Front page looks good. Also:

You seem to be using a slightly altered format...I'm not complaining here, but I want to make sure we're formatting Powers the same way for consistency's sake.

I was planning to copy directly from the Power page with no edits, but I can go with your reformatting if it increases readability or something.

So...what kind of reformatting are you doing, exactly?

Just a basic reformatting, bolding the headers of the parts of the Power, using italics to separate the name of the effects form the mechanical effects. Bolding optional add-ons which may or may not cause Refresh. Line breaks to split up the text, make it easier to digest each bit while separating distinct points from another.

Hpwever, there should be no problem with direct copying. I just altered it a bit to make it more readable, I suppose. It's one of the quirks I have.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »
Just to clarify - once the Powers are all properly put into their own subpage, are you still going to leave the write-ups in the categories page, or will you replace them with a brief description of the effects? Or something else entirely?

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 07:44:41 PM »
Ok, made some progress on updating the Spellcraft Powers. Added some new tags for reference - Mental Stress, Sponsor. Should be self-explanatory.

Also, Sanctaphrax, something I need to point out. In cases where two Powers have the same name, you might want to name them Power and Power (Alternate Version), like I do, or something. Currently, you name them the same - with the end result that both link to the same page, so when one is updated the other version is lost.

Edit: On a related note, the first Minor Magic entry should now link to http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Minor+Magic+%28Alternate+Version%29, so could you edit the hyperlink? Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:48:08 PM by Locnil »

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »
Okay, the Powers page is just too damn laggy. Seems either Wikispaces or my laptop can't handle a page that big.

Oh, and I'm afraid it's probably your laptop.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 06:09:38 AM »
Front page edit will be delayed because I have a lot to do right now and it's not at all urgent.

Just a basic reformatting, bolding the headers of the parts of the Power, using italics to separate the name of the effects form the mechanical effects. Bolding optional add-ons which may or may not cause Refresh. Line breaks to split up the text, make it easier to digest each bit while separating distinct points from another.

Hm, okay.

Dunno if I like the bolding of optional add-ons, but the rest sounds good to me.

Oh, and I'm afraid it's probably your laptop.

Huh.

Well, it's not an issue anymore since I split the page up. So I suppose it doesn't matter. But thanks for letting me know.

Just to clarify - once the Powers are all properly put into their own subpage, are you still going to leave the write-ups in the categories page, or will you replace them with a brief description of the effects? Or something else entirely?

I'll be leaving them in the category pages. A bit of redundancy harms no one.

Also, Sanctaphrax, something I need to point out. In cases where two Powers have the same name, you might want to name them Power and Power (Alternate Version), like I do, or something. Currently, you name them the same - with the end result that both link to the same page, so when one is updated the other version is lost.

Edit: On a related note, the first Minor Magic entry should now link to http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Minor+Magic+%28Alternate+Version%29, so could you edit the hyperlink? Thanks.

I did that on purpose for Reality Marble. If you notice that anywhere else, it's a mistake.

I'll fix the Minor Magic link.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 03:29:08 AM »
I modified Tengu Magic's Evocation choices to include a "strange fireballs" option to be used as I'd read about Tengu burning down various Buddhist temples and that they could cast "strange" fireballs so it seemed to fit. I'm treating it as a Spirit Evocation with  Photomancy options mixed-in personally. I though you should know, since you're in charge of the site's updating project. It would look something like this:

Evocation: Tengu Magic evocations take the form of various ninjutsu involving veils, powerful gusts of wind, and strange fireballs.The fireball will burn objects like a normal flame but it is treated as a usage of Photomancy for doing so.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:17:04 AM by Jebm »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 03:48:18 AM »
I'll post that the Sponsored Magic list thread, and when I next update the Sponsored Magic list it'll get added to both list and wiki.

But first...what does "it is treated as a usage of Photomancy for doing so" mean?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 05:20:42 AM »
Done:

Updated the main page. Included the planned categories plus another new one called Magic, for spells and enchanted items and things like that.

Updated the Templates page to include way more Templates.

Created a Downloads page.

Reformatted the Aspects page slightly.

To do:

Finish individual Power pages.
Create individual Template pages.
Revise tag system.
Create FAQ.
Add more stuff to the Travel Guide.
Create Magic page with organized sub-pages.
Create House Rules page.
Create Examples page.
Get the various character pages organized.
Add more characters to wiki.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
Updated the Travel Guide.

To do:

Revise tag system.
Create FAQ.
Create House Rules page.
Create Examples page.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »
I'll post that the Sponsored Magic list thread, and when I next update the Sponsored Magic list it'll get added to both list and wiki.

But first...what does "it is treated as a usage of Photomancy for doing so" mean?
Never mind. I was looking through the thematic Thaumaturgy section and saw that Photomancy has a tendency to be used as fire evocations and though I'd try and work that in there somehow.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 02:21:11 AM »
Okay.

I'll add the version of Tengu Magic from the wiki to the Sponsored Magic list next time I update.

In other news, I wrote up a FAQ. Please read it. If there's something missing or something wrong, either edit the page or tell me about the problem.

To do:

Revise tag system.
Create House Rules page.
Create Examples page.