Author Topic: Updating The Wiki  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Updating The Wiki
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:33:34 AM »
I'm about to do a big wiki edit.

I'd appreciate help, if anyone here wants to participate.

And if anyone has any specific suggestions for edits, I'd like to hear them.

So, wanna edit the wiki?

And do you have any ideas about what could make the wiki more useful?

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Updating The Wiki
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 04:11:33 AM »
I won't mind helping you out. I've been disappointed in the wiki myself.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:24 AM »
You Got my help if you want it.
Vae Victus

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »
Awesome. There's a lot to do, it'll be great to have some help.

I just created a Sponsored Magic page. I also revised the Power and Item of Power pages. It was time-consuming and unpleasant, but it's done now and I feel good about that.

Part of the plan is for each Power to have its own page. That way we'll be able to attach tags to Powers, making it much easier to search the list.

Could you guys start making pages for Powers?

It's not difficult, but it takes time...like everything to do with the wiki.

Here's what you do:

-Highlight a Power.
-Copy it.
-Turn the Power's name into a link to a non-existent wiki page named after the Power.
-Follow that link.
-Click the edit button for the empty page.
-Paste the Power.
-Save your edits.

And then keep doing that until you've done it for every Power.

I'd rather not do that all myself, since it's a lengthy and repetitive task, so I'd really appreciate help.

EDIT: Just so you know, it's possible that the Power page will lag horribly. If it's a major issue, maybe we'll have to split the Power page into a bunch of different pages. Let me know if you run into any lag issues.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:23:01 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »
In other news, I have a new front page planned. Here's what I have in mind for its text:

Welcome to the Dresden Files Role Playing Game Resources Wiki!

This Wiki is intended to organize, store and present fan-made material for the Dresden Files RPG.

Introduction To The Dresden RPG: A spoiler-free introduction to the RPG.

Aspects: A compiled list of Aspects, sorted by type.

Characters: A list of characters that ranges from the serious to the absurd. Useful for both PC and NPC inspiration.

Downloads: DFRPG-related things that you can download.

Examples: Example combats. Example ward building. Example item crafting. Includes both actual play and examples designed for teaching newbies.

House Rules: Rules changes and player-designed sub-systems for handling all sorts of things.

Powers: Phenomenal Custom Powers! (Itty Bitty Refresh!)

Stunts: "The rules are more like guidelines, anyway."

Templates: Player-made templates to supplement those found in Your Story.

Travel Guide: A guide to the Cities and Locations of Earth and the Nevernever.

Those categories would be used for the navigation bar as well.

Does that sound like a plan to you?

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »
One of the things that always bugged me about the wiki was the Aspect pages.  They seem like kind of a waste of space, maybe others feel differently, but I've just never found them useful.  There's no story or reasoning behind them and they lack examples of invokes and compels so they just become these bland lists.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »
Maybe you (or someone else) could go through and add some Invoke and Compel examples for each Aspect, then. Or at least for some of them.

I'm not too keen on doing that myself, but I think it'd be a worthy endeavour.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:46:59 AM »
Mostly I'd probably just end up deleting the lists...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 05:16:05 AM »
Please don't do that.

You don't have to look at the Aspect lists. You don't even have to acknowledge their existence. Just leave them there for the people who like them.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 06:00:14 AM »
Yeah, I know. 

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 04:30:13 PM »
If it helps, you can think of them as aids for the unimaginative, or the impatient.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
Just a note I'll start on the Spellcraft Powers now. When I finish I'll announce the next.

Also, can we have a codified lexicon of what tags we want to use for the powers, since the current list of tags is more inclined towards characters? Right now, for the Hunger Magic power, I've got Vampirism, Spellcraft, Custom Power. Any others I should have added?

Edit: Also, should we try to make a custom power template as well? They pretty much have a template already, but it might be useful for others to add to the wiki.

Edit2: Also used the House Rules tag for Magical Healing since it gives an alternate way of doing it that differs from what the RAW suggests. Do you think this is appropriate, or is it redundant with the Custom Power tag?

Edit3: Any idea what tag to differentiate those Powers that give Refresh rebates from the rest? Right now I'm using Positive Refresh Power but that feels rather weird.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:13:09 PM by Locnil »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:50 PM »
I'm currently working on the Stunts page, but I should be done within a day or two. I'll get to the individual Power pages then.

Also, can we have a codified lexicon of what tags we want to use for the powers, since the current list of tags is more inclined towards characters? Right now, for the Hunger Magic power, I've got Vampirism, Spellcraft, Custom Power. Any others I should have added?

If you know the creator of the Power, it's probably worth putting a Creator: Name tag in there. (KOFFEYKID wrote Hunger Magic).

Maybe also a cost tag? Like -1 Power, -3 Power, and so on.

Some kind of "seal of quality" tag might be good too. Feel free to tag Powers that you think are good enough to use with "Locnil-Approved" or something.

Edit: Also, should we try to make a custom power template as well? They pretty much have a template already, but it might be useful for others to add to the wiki.

I don't think we need a template, since pretty much everything is copy-pasted from the forum. Don't know if a Power has ever hit the wiki without being posted to the forum first.

Incidentally, what's up with the line breaks between the trapping names and the trapping effects?

Edit2: Also used the House Rules tag for Magical Healing since it gives an alternate way of doing it that differs from what the RAW suggests. Do you think this is appropriate, or is it redundant with the Custom Power tag?

Seems redundant to me, but it's your call.

Edit3: Any idea what tag to differentiate those Powers that give Refresh rebates from the rest? Right now I'm using Positive Refresh Power but that feels rather weird.

I usually call them Rebate Powers.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
I'm currently working on the Stunts page, but I should be done within a day or two. I'll get to the individual Power pages then.

If you know the creator of the Power, it's probably worth putting a Creator: Name tag in there. (KOFFEYKID wrote Hunger Magic).

Maybe also a cost tag? Like -1 Power, -3 Power, and so on.

Some kind of "seal of quality" tag might be good too. Feel free to tag Powers that you think are good enough to use with "Locnil-Approved" or something.

I don't think we need a template, since pretty much everything is copy-pasted from the forum. Don't know if a Power has ever hit the wiki without being posted to the forum first.

Incidentally, what's up with the line breaks between the trapping names and the trapping effects?

Seems redundant to me, but it's your call.

I usually call them Rebate Powers.
Credit where credit is due, I suppose.

Good idea.

Nah, seems a bit too much. I might add a "Possibly Over/Underpowered tag for Powers that struck me as such, though.

Well, if we're trying to revamp the wiki anyway...

Not sure what you mean.

I think I'll just use it for Powers that explicitly contradict the rules - as in, it replaces the guidelines or whatever.

Good name.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 01:41:31 AM »
Stunt list update is mostly ready. I'll be updating the stunt page tomorrow unless somebody points out something wrong with the stunts I've prepared.

Not sure what you mean.

Here's Rote Reliance from the page you set up for it:

Rote Reliance [+1]
Musts: At least one rote spell.
Description: You aren’t very good at improving with your magic, preferring to stick to a few well rehearsed and known spells.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects
Improvisational Block
You suck at casting any spell you haven’t worked out ahead of time. When casting non rote spells, consider your Conviction and Discipline to be 2 steps lower than the actual ratings.
Total Reliance [+1]
You are totally reliant upon a few well rehearsed spells. The only spells you can cast are rote spells. When casting such spells you must roll to control the power as if you were casting them normally.

And here's Rote Reliance on the main page:

Rote Reliance [+1]
Musts: At least one rote spell.
Description: You aren’t very good at improving with your magic, preferring to stick to a few well rehearsed and known spells.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects:
Improvisational Block. You suck at casting any spell you haven’t worked out ahead of time. When casting non rote spells, consider your Conviction and Discipline to be 2 steps lower than the actual ratings.
Total Reliance [+1]. You are totally reliant upon a few well rehearsed spells. The only spells you can cast are rote spells. When casting such spells you must roll to control the power as if you were casting them normally.

You seem to be using a slightly altered format...I'm not complaining here, but I want to make sure we're formatting Powers the same way for consistency's sake.

I was planning to copy directly from the Power page with no edits, but I can go with your reformatting if it increases readability or something.

So...what kind of reformatting are you doing, exactly?