Author Topic: Query: How does Mind Fog ACTUALLY work?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Query: How does Mind Fog ACTUALLY work?
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
OK, so, I ran my players up against a Mind Fog spell the other night, mostly as a means of dealing wiht a bunch of faceless NPCs. It never really hit the PCs, but it did bring up a question from one of my players later. How does it do anything more to a person than place an aspect on them, which can then be tapped for a measly +2?

Am I missing something here? Does the spell deliver Mental damage in addition to the aspect?
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Query: How does Mind Fog ACTUALLY work?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »
You can tag aspects for effects. They are basically treated the same as compels

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »
To be slightly more specific along the same lines as Lavecki -- If you tag it for effect (compelling the NPCs) it is up to the GM to "buy off" the compel with the NPCs fatepoints if they choose not to pass out.
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 02:32:02 AM »
The thing with Fate is, that the same thing in the story can be covered by every available mechanic.

In the case of SK, I think it could be construed as a compel on Harry's high concept. He counters the effect for Murphy entirely (since she didn't get compelled), but he has to keep his concentration up to shield himself, so he has nothing to spare to really do spells of his own. I think he actually fires only one spell in that whole scene, and that doesn't have an effect at all.

But a mind fog could also be a block ("We can't go through there") or an environmental zone attack (anyone inside is attacked once each exchange until taken out).
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal