Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta: August 30, 2013 - September 02, 2013

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta - Aug 30 to Sept 2, 2013  (Read 10774 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta - Aug 30 to Sept 2, 2013
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 04:06:22 AM »
I have noticed in the past some Authors (although in my opinion not as good as Mr. Butcher) have had booths in the dealer hall where they sold their books and games and would autograph them for you. Has Mr. Butcher ever thought of doing this?

I'm sure there will be a signing.  Arrive early, though!  The last time he was at Dragon*Con, they had to cut off the line before the signing even started.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
I have noticed in the past some Authors (although in my opinion not as good as Mr. Butcher) have had booths in the dealer hall where they sold their books and games and would autograph them for you. Has Mr. Butcher ever thought of doing this?

IIRC, he tried to do something like this at DragonCon a couple years ago, but the fire marshalls made him stop.  The marshalls were pretty proactive about crowd formation there.  Just go to his regular signing - 4 hours early.  ;D
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline MetalFae

• Posty McPostington
  • ~Tiny, but fierce!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »
I just got my book in the mail and I was SOOOO excited to see that Jim would be at D*C! I will be there...

Do we know yet the, "When and Where" about the signing/appearences? I couldn't find anything.  :-[
MF you  should stop shoving things in peoples mouths. I'm feeling left out. :(
Oh really? Huh. Well this is awkward.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 12:27:17 AM »
I'd gladly take the credit, but I wasn't at that DragonCon. :D  I believe that may have been Pamela?

In my wildest dreams do I get confused with you, Cellie. :) :)

Yeah, I was Jim's sidekick there. We ended up having impromptu signings after his panels, including one outside. Was fun and funny.
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 12:29:46 AM »
Anyone going to this one who gets to meet the Jim-wrangling Pam would be well advised to hug her to within an inch of her life. She's beyond awesomesauce.

You are so far beyond awesomesauce, Shecks, that if you look over your shoulder I'm nowhere in sight. :) And *hug* to Rob too!

Seriously, if a forum-ite comes to DragonCon, please say hi. I'll be the pudgy redhead at Jim's shoulder. :)
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 12:31:28 AM »
IIRC, he tried to do something like this at DragonCon a couple years ago, but the fire marshalls made him stop.  The marshalls were pretty proactive about crowd formation there.  Just go to his regular signing - 4 hours early.  ;D
Yep, our darling friends at Buzzy Multimedia tried to host a signing at their booth in the vendor room and the fire marshals shut it down. It's that crazy "safety first" thing. :)
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline OrangeWolf

• Participant
  • Coffee, Coke, and Beer -- Drinkage Staples?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:30 AM »
Dragoncon has been fun so far!  Got to go to the Q&A today and had a great time.  Missed the autograph session this morning but hoping to make the one tomorrow.  Got a lovely book ready to go.

Is it bad form to chat for a few seconds while the author signs?  In the past when I've gotten books signed by other authors I'd take the time to mention something I enjoyed about their books and sometimes ask a question (like "how did you come up with *some clever bit*).  It never occurred to me that it might be bad form until I overheard someone saying as much today.

Cheers dudes ^^ 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:32:21 AM by OrangeWolf »
Current Favorite Dresden Files Quote:  "The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault."

Offline MetalFae

• Posty McPostington
  • ~Tiny, but fierce!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
I was the chick during the Q&A that yelled, "The Building was on fire and it wasn't my fault!" From the balcony :D Jeditigger if I see you I shall say hi!

Offline Kodiakc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
Jim was awesome at DC woot very glad i went this year  :D
"My Faith Protects Me, My Kevlar, Helps"

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 02:02:32 AM »
I was the chick during the Q&A that yelled, "The Building was on fire and it wasn't my fault!" From the balcony :D Jeditigger if I see you I shall say hi!

And YAY I did see you!!!
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »
Anyone going to this one who gets to meet the Jim-wrangling Pam would be well advised to hug her to within an inch of her life. She's beyond awesomesauce.

Seconded and thirded. She found us and we hung on to her (literally, once!)  She was so far beyond cool she lost sight of it in the rearview.
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
I went to the first signing he had on Friday (mostly to make sure I got in because I know D*C lines escalate as the weekend rolls on) and got the three books I wanted signed - SubPress Backup, First Lord's Fury, and the hardcover Storm Front that my boyfriend managed to finagle from the internet for a cheap sum. Also, my boyfriend ended up ahead of me (if you were in line that day, we were - I think - the only Harry/Murphy pair in line) and he got our Bob the Skull that I put together years ago from an aquarium skull and some orange sticky notes signed.

Gotta find me a new skull now. XD This Bob's getting pride of place on the tall bookshelves away from kitties.

Also, do we have a photo sharing post? I've been looking for pics of us and I snapped a Maeve that was in line with us as well as a Michael and a Molly who teamed up together from different points in the line to take a picture.

I was wondering why that sounded so far away! We ended up towards the front but allllll the way to the left edge.
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
So....dish!!! What tidbits did you guys learn from the Q&A's? Did someone tape them? :)
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 06:08:56 PM »
So....dish!!! What tidbits did you guys learn from the Q&A's? Did someone tape them? :)

I did. Phone quality (because the battery charger for my camera went missing pre-Con) but we were near a speaker so the audio should be alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NEHTk0gVaQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUpozw-HYBvpxoE1S_6C8d1A

"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline MetalFae

• Posty McPostington
  • ~Tiny, but fierce!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »
And YAY I did see you!!!

I KNOW! I was so excited! I was asking everyone "Are you on the Forum?!" And you were the only person I knew I had a possibility of seeing. I met no other person that was on the forum it was surprising! You are so sweet btw that hug you gave me made my day and was icing on the cake that was meeting JimButcher! :D lol